News/Weather Channel Banners

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by OSW, Nov 1, 2008.

Nov 1, 2008

News/Weather Channel Banners by OSW at 3:46 AM (1,038 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I noticed that the news and weather channels have banners that display some of the information that they download.
    Also the disk channel can detect when a disk is inserted.

Does that mean that it's possible to create banners which load external data?
    For example there could be an SD explorer channel which indicates when SD card is inserted or not, or a list of the card rot. Or title lister could display what titles aexist in nand.

Also I've heard people working on the disk channel, but i also heard that the disk channel isn't really a channel at all... (part of the system menu?)

Hoping someone can enlighten me on these matters, thanks [​IMG]

2. DM357

Newcomer DM357 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The disc channel is a channel, as evident by me trying to make a hack so I could move it, and instead I deleted it. [​IMG]

3. OSW
    OP

Australia
    wow.. lol.
    I know you can move it with Rebooter (geckoos 1.7b)

then does it have a title? is it hidden? can i install multiple disk channels?
    I'm pretty sure it isn't just like a standard channel.

4. Forsaekn

Member Forsaekn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The disc channel is not a channel, its a loader stub apart of the system menu. The system menu makes many ipl::manager calls to update the tooltip when a game is inserted, copy the banner etc to meta.bin in NAND, and display it accordingly. In short, you would have to modify the system menu to make any changes to the disc channel.

5. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Would it be possible to make a channel that would grab the data in the same way as the disc channel does ?
    Or something like that in the same way as the weather channel works for a different type of project like say the homebrew browser channel displaying the most recent additions ?

6. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Indeed it seems like the news and weather channel can do that too, but they appear to be standard channels.

7. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I bet everyone is thinking of trying to do this with the backup loader... that would be cool

8. Forsaekn

Member Forsaekn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ive done this with my cSM. It wont be released in some time though.