Newo Asteroids v2.2, Wii Shooting Game

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
30892-NewoAsteroidsIcon.png

30892-NewoAsteroidsScreen.png

Owen has released version 2.2 of his arcade inspired Wii game, Newo Asteroids. Your mission is to protect the Earth from an alien barrage of asteroids to return peace to the galaxy. Be sure to check out the project page for more information about this homebrew.

Change Log (07/09/13) said:
  • Added Online Leaderboards for highscores. Daily, Monthly, Speedruns
  • Updated Achievements Interface
  • Fixed Death Animation
  • Online leaderboards uses wii nickname as playername
  • Added Language menu option, Online Data option.
  • Makes use of http-parser
  • Leaderboard bugfix for 2.2, old version check, auto-disables after 10 failed attempts.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Project Page

Reactions: newo

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Its probably a good thing because there really isn't any other discussion thread.
Anyway, things to note;
* Some people my expirence network issues bringing up the online score table. it tries to submit your score and wii name to my main website.
* I am not sure if I should add space physics to the ship (so that it feels more like the original) or let it remain a kinda bullethell shooter.
* So people may not notice but if you go into the options->graphics->random you can get a random colour pallet for the game. just make sure you can see the bullets, lol.
* you can change the control scheme from pointer to twin sticks in the options.

that pretty much it. let me know. if yall have any problems. It should run at 60fps on real wii hardware - not sure if it will work emulated.

Reactions: TyBlood13

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I finally got to play it! It's pretty fun. newo, I think you should make space physics an option, as I can see either way be fitting to the game

Yes I will add space physics. I think I will put it into Hard difficulty. because it will affect the game play when going for leaderboard high scores. Or should I just put it as a on and off option?

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I agree with putting it as Hard mode for the leaderboard's sake.

If you notice the game currently plays like a "bullet hell shooter". Although I could vary the amount "friction" and "acceleration" depending on the mode to keep the bullet hell feel when playing on normal. So easy has not phyics, normal has a little physics and hard has full oldschool physics. :lol:

Reactions: TyBlood13

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
newo respectfully declined to use my icon (I believe he said he didn't want to associate this with the original Asteroids game), but if anyone is interested in an alternative, it's here:
NewoAsteroids2.png

yeah I really didn't want to turn off people who would think that it is just another simple asteroids clone. I added a lot of stuff and colors to make it easier to play and prettier. Plus you are no stuck on one screen all the time.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I always had a bug in the rendering code that caused some asteroids to appear and disappear at random times. I eventually found the bug when I was trying to optimise the amount of on screen asteroids. It turns out that the array I was using was running out of space and so when it filled up it would just discard the extra asteroids. This was happening so fast that it would cause some of the asteroids to flicker. But I fixed it now so the game should run at a smooth 60 frames per second all the time with room to spare.

I should probably try to make a scrolling up-down or left right shooter using this engine. :)

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
2.9 update. Fixed it so the fonts look better on widescreen Tvs. The leaderboards should load quicker now - I am always tinkering around with them to reduce the loading lag. As soon as you set a high score it should popup on the leaderboard and be highlighted in green.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr