Newer Wiis unable to play burnt discs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by scottieb99, Feb 11, 2010.

Feb 11, 2010
  1. scottieb99
    OP

Member scottieb99 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering if anyone knew the serial numbers on the newer wiis that are unable to play burnt discs. We are looking to get another wii for our son and although we use usb alot I would still like to be able to play the occasional burnt game. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    allmost anything late 2009 will have the new wii drive in it, i dont think the serial is going to help much

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    all new wii's can't play backup DISKS, but just get an external hard drive and play your games directly off that using a usb-loader

here's a list of wii serial numbers and their stats, note that anything with a D3-2 DVD drive chip cannot play backup disks without replacing it.

http://www.wiidrives.com/list

4. scottieb99
    OP

Member scottieb99 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is the serial posted on the box so U can see it before u buy? Anything else that can distinguish a newer one while I am looking at it in store?

5. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Yeah, try gamestop for used Wii.. It might be your best chance to try it.

@xflak40,

Your avatar is really annoying but funny and weird at the same time. *GRIN*

6. XFlak

Canada
    @OP, u can always try ebay, craiglist or kijiji, but buyer beware, u never know what u r going to get when u get a used system off of a p2p site like that, i would plug it in and make sure it works before walking away to make sure u don't get scammed (just in case).

@RockmanForte, thanks... i think, lol. I found that and pretty much laughed my ass off... its a little getting old now, maybe i should change it sometime soon

7. azoreseuropa

Portugal
    Gamestop is more safe and easy to buy the older wii system. I highly recommend that, no ?[​IMG]

@xflak40,

Really ? It is getting old ?? For how long you had an avatar for ?

8. XFlak

Canada
    actually i don't know.... not that long actually, maybe 3 weeks or something... but it just feels old because its the only avatar i've ever had

hey u think gamestop would let you plug in the wii and let u launch bannerbomb to see if bootmii as boot2 can be installed? lmao, somehow i highly doubt it... but that would be awesome. U might be able to get away with it if the person at gamestop has no idea about homebrew

edit: actually thats a good reason to get a wii used from ebay or craiglist or w/e... u can probably check to see if bootmii can be installed as boot2 before even buying the wii (u may have to sweet talk the seller for him to let u do that, but its possible)

9. azoreseuropa

Portugal
    LOL! It is not getting old but okay.

True but it wont hurt to find it out at home and if it is not what you want then return it for a refund and go for ebay and hope that you are not going to be a victim.

10. XFlak

Canada
    +1, good advice to anyone wanting to buy a bootmii boot2 wii, just check the return policy before purchasing.

if anyone plans on returning the wii if it does not have bootmii as boot2, just don't install anything using the hackmii installer... just launch it once using bannerbomb (or w/e) to see if bootmii as boot2 can be installed, if it can't, u can exit the installer and it would have made NO changes to the wii, so u can return it in the exact same condition as u got it

11. azoreseuropa

Portugal
    +2.. Right!

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I wondered when gaming companies would make it so copied disks wouldn't play. All they had to do is make the disk drive firmware NOT read writable disks, only retail "pressed" disks. Took 'em long enough to come up with the idea. I thought of it years ago, but said nothing. Not exactly rocket-science.