RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
2qji2hh.png

*Current logo idea

Join the NEWER SUPER MARIO BROS Wii FORUMS! 50 members within 1 week and COUNTING!
smile.gif

The above is a forum for those of us who would like to unite (using soon-to-be-released level editor Reggie!) in helping to create (to completion!) a full-on sequel game to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that is, something that is not a 1:1 remake of a past Mario/other game, and not an experimental hack, but more so a richly detailed, well crafted, fully featured (if eventually possible) series of levels (and perhaps world maps, as well) that could rival the quality of the original NSMBW game, which is, of course, of an INCREDIBLY high standard.

So this is something that will require time, patience, and a lot of planning and community spirit, and also a bit of modesty in case some levels you make or some of your ideas prove unpopular or unsuccessful or whatever. I recommend all of those who are enthusiastic about adhering to these general "sequel" principles to join! We're gonna have a blast, I'm sure! It takes about 20 seconds to register. It's not meant to detract from the healthy, vigorous hacking/level editing discussions taking place here at GBAtemp, but more so just to prevent this forum from being overrun and ideas from being too disorderly.

Meanwhile, continue reading if you would like to see the evolution of this game concept.

Immediate topics of discussion have obviously been the actual title of the game, so that there's no confusion which fan "hack" is which, then the World Map themes (whether or not actual maps end up being created). Also, if at any point you have random level ideas, or you played something great in NSMBW and you thought "hey! what if they did this!, or combined this with THAT mechanic!!" etc. Well, this was the thread to 'flag' those ideas and they can be organized into the best possible World/Level, but now I direct you to the Level Design Ideas subforum.

EDIT : We are also looking for people (well, a person) who may be skilled enough at taking the 3D map models from NSMBW (easily extractable), cutting them up in such a way that matches our planned World order, then we can import it back into the engine. This is pending Treeki and other Reggie beta testers actually agreeing that this is feasible (even if it means keeping the same "path structures").

15gthtw.png

* Preliminary concept cover art

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Of course I'm in!
tongue.gif

One idea that came to me while playing immediately when playing the game...these side-stepping things from 5-3. When you freeze them, they create a nice platform you can walk on. I thought: what if you had to freeze them in a proper angle so you can get a star coin/secret entrance/whatever? That would be kinda clever ;P

Reactions: LennartL

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
^ Hooray, that's 5 people in, already!! Let's get this rolling!!

Title decision, anyone?
tongue.gif
(Perhaps a mod could edit the title of this thread afterwards?
smile.gif
)

rizzod said:
New Music would definitely be needed
I'm so there. I will create whatever music necessary. My YouTube channel has all my NSMB style pieces that I've done so far on display, though only the SMG2 Space Overworld one I did uses my most recent technology upgrade, so that probably technically sounds more like what to expect. I can't wait to write new, and remixed/reworked, themes!

QUOTE(skawo96 @ Nov 23 2009, 12:50 PM) One idea that came to me while playing immediately when playing the game...these side-stepping things from 5-3. When you freeze them, they create a nice platform you can walk on. I thought: what if you had to freeze them in a proper angle so you can get a star coin/secret entrance/whatever? That would be kinda clever ;P
Well, that's a fantastic idea, presuming that that same area would not be possible to reach by simply (run-)jumping on top of it. Something to test, besides that, perhaps, is if these same creatures actually WALK ON TOP of frozen enemies (whether themselves (to keep the heights consistent) or otherwise). In 5-3 they occasionally wait for little platforms to open up (see here) so imagine if you had to freeze like a pyramid of them, or something, to reach a platform that's otherwise too high? Questions: can you even freeze these guys? And once defrosted, would they stay in place if a frozen enemy was standing on them? (Might be a collision nightmare.)

Also, since this puzzle is enemy based, we can narrow down which world/level uses the trick. Perhaps the overgrown underground Pipe Maze world (whether above or below ground level)? Or even a Ghost world, since their heads are Hallowe'en-ish?
tongue.gif
Food for thought.

Chaos Punk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the title, I'd have to go with either Newer Super Mario Brothers Wii for the lawls or NSMBWii+.

oneleggedjack said:
This is just awesome, SMW Yoshi's Island Remake!
if only we could make eggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEqJDMpkR2E

Can't wait for the release!

This was posted in the Reggie! thread. Thought I'd bring it over for example/inspiration. Maybe instead of just deciding to make only a custom game, we can make remakes of past mario games in addition. I'd be willing to contribute some levels. To be honest, I would LOVE to experience Super Mario World with this new engine. I actually wanna start as soon as Reggie! is ready.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
oh my days, sounds awesome!

i'll do my best to play a part in this because it sounds like one of the best projects i've ever heard of!

EDIT: worlds that are completely different to ones already seen in NSMBW MIGHT be fairly difficult unless the reggie editor has a layer editor integrated at somepoint, but yeah, completely possible. will the reggie editor be able to edit world maps also? or just stages? last time i looked i could only see a stage editor, but a map editor would be another compulsary thing to match the stages.

and then name? SMBW+, just sounds alot more professional.

EDIT2: custom remixed music is a great step too, although again, does reggie support music swapping? or will someone just do that directly to the ISO using wii scrubber or something? dont know where music files are hidden in NSMBW ISO so i cant say how hard that will be lol.

and i was just thinking that if everything goes to plan, the game is only around 3-600MB in size. it would be very easy to create a marathon stage with impossible difficulty for mega expert players. but where you'd put that into the game is hard to decide. i mean, he could make it into a full editor for menu GUI and make a new button for the marathon stage or something, or it could be an optional level like the houses that give you prizes and stuff lol

but as the post below says, we have to see how well the editor can perform before getting our hopes up. although it does look quite promising and easy to use at the moment from the screenshots i've seen.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think we'll be seeing custom world maps any time soon, and even if so, I don't think that creating them will be easy...After all, they're full-blown 3D environments with textures and movement and stuff, there's no way you could just add a simple feature to the editor that will take care of that...

Personally, I'll wait until I've seen what the editor is actually capable of before jumping onto a big project like this...However, if I'm pleased with the results, I'd be happy to contribute.

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
^ Thanks guys. But yeah, I can't really take credit for this particular idea, as in, well, it's pretty obvious
tongue.gif

Chaos Punk said:
For the title, I'd have to go with either Newer Super Mario Brothers Wii for the lawls or NSMBWii+.

oneleggedjack said:
This is just awesome, SMW Yoshi's Island Remake!
if only we could make eggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEqJDMpkR2E

Can't wait for the release!

This was posted in the Reggie! thread. Thought I'd bring it over for example/inspiration. Maybe instead of just deciding to make only a custom game, we can make remakes of past mario games in addition. I'd be willing to contribute some levels. To be honest, I would LOVE to experience Super Mario World with this new engine. I actually wanna start as soon as Reggie! is ready.
Actually, the reason I made this thread was to make a clear distinction between a "set of new levels further exploring the new engine" and a "remake of old levels in the new engine". This thread fits into the former category while what you just posted fits into the latter. I too would enjoy playing New Super Mario World, but that needs to be in a different thread, perhaps one organized by span who appears to be already on the ball for such a project
smile.gif

But yeah, if you have ideas INSPIRED by Super Mario World, but that aren't 1:1 copies of level sections, this is the thread in which you can/should post them!
biggrin.gif

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Count me in! This is excatly what i've been hoping for!!!
I'll find a spot somewhere to fit in between image editing, texture mapping and some level design.

on a different topic, i would love to see an ENTIRE CUSTOM GAME dedicated to Yoshie. I think that could be fun, the only issue being the underuse of the penguin suit or pipes, things like that... if we could work that out (somehow), i think New Super Mario Bro's Wii - Yoshie Edition could be a lot of fun!

P.S. I'd Settle for a yoshie World
wink.gif

RainbowIE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vater Unser said:
I don't think we'll be seeing custom world maps any time soon, and even if so, I don't think that creating them will be easy...After all, they're full-blown 3D environments with textures and movement and stuff, there's no way you could just add a simple feature to the editor that will take care of that...

Personally, I'll wait until I've seen what the editor is actually capable of before jumping onto a big project like this...However, if I'm pleased with the results, I'd be happy to contribute.
mikeyt1998 said:
EDIT: worlds that are completely different to ones already seen in NSMBW MIGHT be fairly difficult unless the reggie editor has a layer editor integrated at somepoint, but yeah, completely possible. will the reggie editor be able to edit world maps also? or just stages? last time i looked i could only see a stage editor, but a map editor would be another compulsary thing to match the stages.
Yeah, I'm aware of the world map limitations at the moment; however, I still think we ought to plan ahead and at least have "pretend worlds" in case the map editor opportunity arises sooner than the time it takes for all the levels to be compiled/completed. I think people would prefer to play a game that has unique worlds/settings, rather than the same 8 worlds from NSMBW but each level being slightly rearranged, with the same exits etc etc.

As someone said in the Reggie! thread, it's at least very easy to arrange a type of "thumbnail" level selector view, perhaps something in the style of SMB3, maybe? Either way, I think unifying world map THEMES is important to agree on, and because the game has such potential for newly conceived theme ideas, such as the ones I listed in the opening post
smile.gif

QUOTE(mikeyt1998 @ Nov 23 2009, 01:55 PM)
and then name? SMBW+, just sounds alot more professional.
No "New"? What do others think?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
haha sorry i missed out the new by accident
cool.gif

but either sounds alright to me.

and apparently, there is an easy way to edit textures, i'll link you now
wink.gif

HERE

and there is a quote there on the second page too...

QUOTE said:
You do realize that unpacking/packing an .arc file takes 2 seconds, and would cut out any need to hex edit right?

Here's the easier way.

1.) Download Wii.cs tools. http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
2.) Unpack .arc file with U8Mii.
3.) Open the .brres file in BrawlBox.
4.) Save PNG's, edit, and re-import edited PNG.
5.) Save .brres.
6.) Pack .bress file with U8Mii to make an .arc file.

Cut's out all need to hex edit anything.

that may be the easiest way to edit a sprite texture to match/ completely change it into a new scene.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
RainbowIE said:
skawo96 said:
One idea that came to me while playing immediately when playing the game...these side-stepping things from 5-3. When you freeze them, they create a nice platform you can walk on. I thought: what if you had to freeze them in a proper angle so you can get a star coin/secret entrance/whatever? That would be kinda clever ;P
Well, that's a fantastic idea, presuming that that same area would not be possible to reach by simply (run-)jumping on top of it. Something to test, besides that, perhaps, is if these same creatures actually WALK ON TOP of frozen enemies (whether themselves (to keep the heights consistent) or otherwise). In 5-3 they occasionally wait for little platforms to open up (see here) so imagine if you had to freeze like a pyramid of them, or something, to reach a platform that's otherwise too high? Questions: can you even freeze these guys? And once defrosted, would they stay in place if a frozen enemy was standing on them? (Might be a collision nightmare.)

Also, since this puzzle is enemy based, we can narrow down which world/level uses the trick. Perhaps the overgrown underground Pipe Maze world (whether above or below ground level)? Or even a Ghost world, since their heads are Hallowe'en-ish?
tongue.gif
Food for thought.

Oh, but of course you can freeze them:
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/s...urrent=forb.flv

EDIT2: custom remixed music is a great step too, although again, does reggie support music swapping? or will someone just do that directly to the ISO using wii scrubber or something? dont know where music files are hidden in NSMBW ISO so i cant say how hard that will be lol.

It's easily doable
tongue.gif
Here I inserted the BowieZ's custom SMG2 theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuyEOdtlSR4

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Regarding remakes: It's simply not possible to recreate SMW2: Yoshi's Island in NSMBWii in any way that still makes sense...You just can't do it. You need to always keep in mind of what the NSMB engine has to offer, and which of these features can actually be accessed via any of the upcoming editors...

While a remake of SMW would be somewhat more along the lines of reality and sanity, you still need to keep in mind all the objects, items and enemies of SMW that are not existent in NSMB and can't be re-created, either...Just replacing the flying cape with the propeller suit won't cut it...The way I see it, porting SMW to the NSMB engine would be much more of a downgrade than an upgrade.
Heck, if you ask me, SMW is still easily better than NSMBWii in singleplayer mode, why the need to port it?

It makes much more sense to concentrate on new stuff that's actually possible in the NSMB engine, rather than devoting yourself to recreating old things that can't be recreated given the actual possibilities.

One thought that just came to my mind:
How about, instead of trying to edit the actual world maps of the game, you create a set of regular levels with pipes and doors and stuff as some sort of level-selection area, from which you can enter the actual levels?
The editor would need a lot less features for that to be possible, like allowing the player to go right back to the "level selection level" after dying/finishing the level, as well as allowing the creators to set some kind of flags to determine which levels have already been completed, and making certain objects appear/disappear (or interact in any other way) depending on the flags, which would allow for new paths to open upon finishing certain levels...Of course, the flags would have to be stored in the savegame file, or else the player's progress wouldn't be stored...
It's a long shot, but if possible, I'd certainly prefer it over simply replacing old levels with new levels, without any changes to the appearances of the world maps...Either way, creating your own world maps will require big efforts both from the developers of the level-editor as well as the people working on full NSMB mods.

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
this aint the remake section, your looking for New Super Mario World which is in the other thread... this is for a complete new game..

Posts merged

The Only thing im worried about in music is the "BAHP! BAHP!" when the koopa's and goomba's react..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off...