Hacking Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii is out now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Now just wondering how to distribute it... I estimate a .ppf patch would be rather large... unless there is a better way with better compression to reduce the filesize so it is not so difficult for me to upload :P
I don't suppose doing patches on the files inside the ISO (with a recursive script) would be better than the ISO itself? If feasible.

JasonP27

The Tile God
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
darkumbra.net
XP
Country
Now just wondering how to distribute it... I estimate a .ppf patch would be rather large... unless there is a better way with better compression to reduce the filesize so it is not so difficult for me to upload :P

Create a PPF patch for the main.dol, and create a batch utility program or something that takes the files from the pack and copies them to the correct paths in the extracted FST of the ISO, and runs wit to compile an ISO.

edit: once the main.dol is patched, it won't need updated. However if one would then wish to update their ISO to the new version of Newer, one could re-extract their working iso, and use the batch utility to simply overwrite the old files with the files from the new pack.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, thanks for the suggestions guys :)
I was thinking about the main.dol ppf, but now I will have to look into writing a batch file that would do that. As simple as batch files seem, it is something that I have not done before, apart from a simple list of things to do via command line, no actual logic.

EDIT: wow shit, computer just finishined generating a ppf, and it came out to be bigger than the iso itself, screw that! Even uploading the ISO itself on teh interwebs would be easier than that... (but not legal)

Looks like main.dol + file replacement and recompilation will have to be the way.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
And since I have manually moved the Loader.bin away from 0x80001800 (instead of my older method, where I just threw it onto the end of the .dol and loaded it at 0x80001800)
For clearness:
You have patched main.dol following my suggestions and added a text section with the unmodified content of loader.bin?

Right now I only have one version, Based on specifically NSMBW PAL disc ver1.01, the Newer disc has header GameID of SMNP02, and the game's internal ID (used for samegames) is KMNP (rather than SMNP) to keep save files seperate from the original game (rather than both under one save "file" in Wii Data Management), in much the same way Wiimm's Custom Mario Kart distros work in regards to that.
I use always a 'K' for alternative savegames. K is not used and I can remember it very good: "K like Klone" ;)

As batch file?!

End user instructions:
  1. Load newer and extract it.
  2. Create a subdirectory in newer named 'CONVERT'
  3. Load DAMYSTERYMAN.zip and etract it to 'CONVERT'
  4. Copy a wbfs image of NSMB into 'CONVERT' named nsmb.wbfs
  5. Enter directory 'CONVERT'
  6. Call batch file convert.bat
DAMYSTERYMAN.zip contains:
* wit and some needed DLLs
* batch file convert.bat
* main.dol (see below)

The batch files looks like this:
Code:
@echo off

:: extract image
wit extract nsmb.wbfs nsmb.d --sel=data -vv

:: many copy commands
copy /B ..\newer\... nsmb.d\files\...

:: patch or copy man.dol
copy /B main.dol nsmb.d\sys\

:: create new image
wit copy nsmb.d newer-smb.wbfs -vv --id=K --name "NEWER SMB"

:: wait to make errors visible
pause

The only legal issue is the main.dol. Instead of copying, patching is much better. A simple binary patcher should do it.

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey Wiimm,

Well yeah, that is what I did the very first time, however now I have actually modified the Loader.bin to move it away from 0x80001800 in memory. The other method would still work, but then it would become incompatible with Ocarina and Gecko Debugging (the Loader.bin would normally overwrite anything related to Gecko and Ocarina).

And yeah, that makes sense, I use K the same way too :)

And yeah, I was looking into it, but looks like you beat me to it :lol: Thanks for posting a base batch file though :)

---

And now, I have a small package containing wit, a ppf patcher, and a .bat batch script to tie it all together. All you need is a NSMBW ISO and the Newer riivolution pack.

Currently only for EURv1 of NSMBW at the time though, however, if I somehow had a way to look at the .dol files for ther versions of NSMBW, I could add support to them too........... :ninja:

You download this pack, extract it, put in a EURv1 ISO of NSMBW along with the "NewerSMBW" folder from the Newer pack into thesame directory you extracted this to, then run the .bat file, and it will build the ISO for you :D

Code:
Unnofficial Automatic ISO Patcher Pack v1.00 for Newer SMBW
Pack built by damysteryman/TeamDARK

Thanks to Treeki for info on NSMBW dol patching and ISO building
Thanks to Wiimm for Batch file info and assistance
Credits also to Wiimm for WIT, included in this pack
Credits to Icarus of Paradox for ApplyPPF3, included in this pack

This will combine an ISO copy of New Super Mario Bros.
Wii PAL/EUR v1.01 and NewerTeam's Riivolution-style Newer
package to build an ISO version of Newer.

Currently only works with EURv1 ISO of NSMBW at this time.

HOWTO:
1. Extract contents of this .zip file to a new working directory.
Get your ISO of NSMBW EURv1, and copy it to the same directory as
this README file.
2. Rename your ISO to NSMBW_EURv1.iso.
3. Copy the "NewerSMBW" folder from the NewerSMBW.zip package to the same
directory as this README (you can download Newer from
http://newerteam.com if you have not done so already already)
4. Run Build_Newer_EURv1.bat and wait for it to build the Newer ISO.
5. Use/run the newly built ISO however way you would :P
6. Enjoy!

Generated Newer ISO has Header GameID of SMNP02, and tmd/ticket ID of KMNP
to keep savegame seperate from original game's one.

Download the pack here:
NewerISOPatcherPack_v1.00_dmm.zip

Enjoy!
And enjoy Newer too, NewerTeam did a great job!

Hoowahman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Wiimm,

Well yeah, that is what I did the very first time, however now I have actually modified the Loader.bin to move it away from 0x80001800 in memory. The other method would still work, but then it would become incompatible with Ocarina and Gecko Debugging (the Loader.bin would normally overwrite anything related to Gecko and Ocarina).

And yeah, I was looking into it, but looks like you beat me to it :lol: Thanks for posting a base batch file though :)

---

And now, I have a small package containing wit, a ppf patcher, and a .bat batch script to tie it all together. All you need is a NSMBW ISO and the Newer riivolution pack.

Currently only for EURv1 of NSMBW at the time though, however, if I somehow had a way to look at the .dol files for ther versions of NSMBW, I could add support to them too........... :ninja:

You download this pack, extract it, put in a EURv1 ISO of NSMBW along with the "NewerSMBW" folder from the Newer pack into thesame directory you extracted this to, then run the .bat file, and it will build the ISO for you :D

Code:

HOWTO:
this README file.
6. Enjoy!

Download the pack here:

Enjoy!

Dude! You are awesome! Thank you so much for doing this and the work you put into it. Also for everyone helping to get it together.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Wiimm,

---

Code:

HOWTO:
this README file.
6. Enjoy!

Download the pack here:

Enjoy!

Much appreciated dude !!! Thanks !!! Also thanks to the Newer Team for making this great custom remake !!!

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Wiimm,

---

Code:

HOWTO:
this README file.
6. Enjoy!

Download the pack here:

Enjoy!

thanks for doing all the work!

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No problem. :)

Haha, maybe. Not right now though, maybe over the next few days or week perhaps?
If I were provided with the riivolution .xml files, along with any extra needed mod code from the pack (such as anything similar to Loader.bin), I should be able to do it. This way saves me from eating up heaps of my internet just to get a few files.

However, I only have one version of the game, and that is EUR version 1.01 (EURv1). (...well.... I have Taiwan version 1.00 too, but none of these hacks support it :P )
So, for any other version (like USA, JPN, or EURv2), I would somehow have to acquire the main.dol files from these versions to make patches for them, and that is the hard part.

Reactions: joshuatm

JasonP27

The Tile God
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
darkumbra.net
XP
Country
I've been working on the Summer Sun patching all day today. I had missed the part about changing the pointer in the Loader.bin file and spent the 45 minute train ride home just staring at IDA and trying to figure out how I was supposed to get the numbers I needed lol... I'm not good at hex and such. I know where I'm placing the Loader.bin in main.dol, but I don't know how to translate that to a pointer in the Loader.bin :unsure:

Panofsky

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Download the pack here:

Enjoy!

Just registered to confirm that this works and to show my gratitude to you and the Newerteam. Used my original (Dutch) disc to compile it. As I softmodded my wii a long time ago, I wasn't looking forward to updating/installing Riivolution and risking problems.

Can't wait to play, thanks!

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Congrats damysteryman, you did a awesome job! :lol:
i wanted to play with riivolution but my drive broke,
thanks anyway, count with me if you need a tester for something crazy :P

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
@damysteryman
Good job, but I can't test it in the moment. Instead of testing I have some notes for you and all others:

• wit itself needs only 1 dll: cygwin1.dll
    The others are needed for the environment and for setup.
  • wit knows the option -o / --overwrite, so "del ..." is not necessary.
  • If you use: wit extract -1 -n SMNP01 . nsmb.d --psel=DATA -vv
    wit search all images with the given ID (-n SMNP01), but use only the first image found (-1).
    With this you have a simple source image support with any filename and any format (wbfs, iso, ciso, wdf, ...)
  • @all: If you have a wbfs file for example, rename it to "NSMBW_EURv1.iso". wit ignores file extensions here and will detect the file format automatically. Conversion is not needed.
  • @all: If you want a wbfs as result, edit "Build_Newer_EURv1.bat" and replace
    Code:
    :: clean up old image if it exists for some reason
    del NewerSMBW_EURv1.iso
    >>>>>>>>>>          ^^^

wit\wit copy nsmb.d ../NewerSMBW_EURv1.iso -vv --disc-id=KMNP02 --ticket-id=K --tmd-id=K --name "Newer SMBW"
    >>>>>>>>>>                            ^^^
    by
    Code:
    :: clean up old image if it exists for some reason
    del NewerSMBW_EURv1.wbfs

wit\wit copy nsmb.d ../NewerSMBW_EURv1.wbfs -vv --disc-id=KMNP02 --ticket-id=K --tmd-id=K --name "Newer SMBW"

Reactions: Ayatus

S95Sedan

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks a bunch for the main.dol patch. Works great on both dolphin and wii.

Game works aswell with all of the .LH files converted/decompressed and the original ones replaced. (Though its still 1.013Mb in size afterwards but cleans up the iso alot though)

damysteryman

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OK, looks like I have gotten USAv1 (I think) dol and USA v2 dol, so I should be able to convert those within the next few days too.
And thanks again @Wiimm, for all those tips and info about WIT, I really appreciate it :) I will definitely be able to refine my batch file better now, using your suggestions. :)

EDIT: @S95Sedan:
Actually, I did not modify any of the files themselves, apart from the main.dol. The Newer files are unaltered and most of them are actually new files that NSMBW did not have before, only a few are actually replacements for existing files.

EDIT2: Ok, I am off for now, tis middle of night/early morning where I am atm, really need sleep :P
Will be back later, night all.

Reactions: secretchaos1

S95Sedan

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK, looks like I have gotten USAv1 (I think) dol and USA v2 dol, so I should be able to convert those within the next few days too.
And thanks again @Wiimm, for all those tips and info about WIT, I really appreciate it :) I will definitely be able to refine my batch file better now, using your suggestions. :)

EDIT: @S95Sedan:
Actually, I did not modify any of the files themselves, apart from the main.dol. The Newer files are unaltered and most of them are actually new files that NSMBW did not have before, only a few are actually replacements for existing files.

Yeah noticed in the .bat aswell as in the main.dol after patching. Do know a bit myself but couldnt really figure out the loader.bin part and what to use with it. Adresses were easy though. Converting the .LH was mainly to remove double files since they are just making things a mess.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Newer has no DRM. It's a set of file replacement/patching mods to a retail disc game. In fact I even theorized what would need to be done to make an ISO, and somebody else did the mods... and none of them involved bypassing DRM, it was simply applying the edits to the ISO file itself instead of during launch on-the-fly.

The reason there was no ISO version release is that they did not go out of their way to make one.

Christ, read.

lol rydian you replied a hour after joostin and treeki with vitually the same info in regards to sickpuppy's post . Christ Read. Just sayin :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true