Homebrew Newer Moonshell?

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all. I'd like to know if Moonshell will be updated anytime soon. Reason I ask is that the latest version of Moonshell came out in 2007 I believe. Did they halt the development of Moonshell or are they just working on a really good/updated version of Moonshell?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
use the version thats in the hacked dldi sakura that works on any card its a much better player
wink.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah the best you can get is dldi sakura atm.
might be in the download centre.

moonshell seems to be a dead project... hell even moonlight's website seems to be down (i just checked)

moonlight changed work onto sakura but now sakura seems dead too.

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's this dldi Sakura? Do you mean the M3 Sakura or is it something else?

I'll search the download center and see if I can find anything with Sakura in it.

Edit: I used the search function in the downloads and I didn't find anything except for the M3 Sakura.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone can get the trial, yes, but from what I remember the sourcecode for Moonshell is hard as heck to figure out (not to mention that all the comments would be in Japanese).

The compiler used for Moonshell 1.7x is the ARM SDT, and it costs about $5000 from what I remember. Moonlight used it to add some ARM assembly optimizations that weren't possible with DevKitARM and GCC, and once the trial ran out he stopped development.

Also, for all those wondering why nobody picked up development of SNES, NES DS, or any of Flubba's or Dwedit's emulators for the GBA, this is the same reason. Recently Dwedit has been making an effort at porting many of them to GCC so anyone can update them, but for several years the only people capable of making updates had halted development on the emulators.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
moonlight changed work onto sakura but now sakura seems dead too.
Nope it isn't....It just takes time until they finish it..I don't know why that long, but I've got message from M3 Team yesterday, and M3 Sakura isn't dead at all!!

(but I agree it does seen pointless sometimes!!)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DanTheManMS is on the money as usual but I would add a few people did take it up:
http://kuwanger.net/gba/
A fair few universities do use arm kit though and the SDT should be part of that somewhere.
Also being a silly money app it is not your basic download and play demo (I went looking at the time). I appear to be wandering into the realms of goto when it comes to coding faux pas but I have to wonder if a bit of machine code could not be left in.

Moonshell sourcecode, I did not play around with the DS side of things much but as I recall even the dpgenc app was a pain (I messed around with it when I did a demo/fork of batchdpg) and most comments (aside from the libraries used) were in Japanese and few in number. That might have had something to do with my lack of familiarity with the computer language being used (Borland C or pascal/similar if I recall correctly).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't believe I forgot about Kuwanger, as I talked about his Goomba Paletted fork just hours ago in another topic. Thanks for catching that FAST691. Even still, his purpose was mostly to extend the secondary functionality of the emulators, not necessarily to update their core emulation capabilities.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night