Newcomer interested in custom ROM/homebrew - what system is easiest?

ahungry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all - interested in writing a custom homebrew ROM and was wondering what system was easiest to write one for (preferably using GNU/Linux and avoiding Windows).

I found a great guide online from 2003-2013 titled "tonc" which discusses GBA game creation in great detail (300 pages ugh).

I also found an NDS from scratch guide here (using a Nightfox lib or something) which seemed a bit more what I'm accustomed to (less assembly and bit shifting, more high level function calls).

I was hoping to write a homebrew game from scratch that could ideally run under emulators on mobile devices and it seems like NDS emulator support is bad on mobile, so I may be forced into going with GBA (unless custom ROM programming for SNES or another system entirely is easier, but I doubt that would be the case).

So, in your opinions, what is the easiest system to get a custom ROM going on? (Non mobile is welcome as well though).

Lastly, nice to meet you all!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Welcome onboard! :D The scarcity of replies isn't because we're not friendly, it's probably because of the members looking in here don't actually know the answers! :D It'd be better reposting your questions in the NDS Homebrew section.

We have some resident NDS programmers and some of them might help you ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday! +1