• Poll closed .

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah nothing like a "hey i want a gamecube emu, what do you guys think @smmmmeaaa, @d00000k @steviiiiiieeee"

kinda ties in with the "don't make silly requests" option though, although sometimes its people replying who just tag any and every dev going

oh its that kind of stuff, I can merge it with the "respect 3ds devs" step

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
People taking this thread seriously, it's not even in the right section.
honestly i dont really care, if it actually was to be stickied then it would be in the correct section that it was aimed to be stickied in.......that said i doubt it will be stickied and even if it did it would probably be completely ignored, the people who this applies to are either idiots or arrogant and assume that the rules do not apply to them and every idea in there head is far superior than that of the last 20 people who made the exact same suggestion

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly i dont really care, if it actually was to be stickied then it would be in the correct section that it was aimed to be stickied in.......that said i doubt it will be stickied and even if it did it would probably be completely ignored, the people who this applies to are either idiots or arrogant and assume that the rules do not apply to them and every idea in there head is far superior than that of the last 20 people who made the exact same suggestion
I don't really expect this to be stickyed too, but my hope is to at least help who ever is really a noob, and reads this, actually make their experience and others better at gbatemp

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hipsters.png

picture related

Juju86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half of these sound like common sense/rules that are already or should be implemented on the forum already so good job there.... The rest just makes you kind of sound like a whiny person with too much free time. If you don't want to answer the dumb questions then don't lol, don't even click the thread. Google isn't the answer to everyything like you think it is. Not to mention when it comes to people and their expensive toys they tend to want to be sure about everything before diving in. Yet you're more concerned with how annoyed you get when other people don't know every thing you know about the almighty 3ds homebrew(that I hear is being teached in schools guys I know because I saw it on google this one time). So I guess all i'm trying to say is, don't be a prick about everything as you don't know what the person has done prior to making the post for you to make a hate rage post saying they shouldn't post at all. You can't beat spam though, if a trolls gonna troll or an idiots gonna idiot what is your sticky thread gonna do?

Just a tip for you though, maybe go outside every once in a while and get some fresh air then these forum posts won't seem so big anymore ;).

Last edited by Juju86,
Reactions: WeedZ

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half of these sound like common sense/rules that are already or should be implemented on the forum already so good job there.... The rest just makes you kind of sound like a whiny person with too much free time. If you don't want to answer the dumb questions then don't lol, don't even click the thread. Google isn't the answer to everyything like you think it is. Not to mention when it comes to people and their expensive toys they tend to want to be sure about everything before diving in. Yet you're more concerned with how annoyed you get when other people don't know every thing you know about the almighty 3ds homebrew(that I hear is being teached in schools guys I know because I saw it on google this one time). So I guess all i'm trying to say is, don't be a prick about everything as you don't know what the person has done prior to making the post for you to make a hate rage post saying they shouldn't post at all. You can't beat spam though, if a trolls gonna troll or an idiots gonna idiot what is your sticky thread gonna do?

Just a tip for you though, maybe go outside every once in a while and get some fresh air then these forum posts won't seem so big anymore ;).
Thanks for the feedback! I will be sure to edit the main post to be more newbie friendly. Didn't mean to come off that way, most of the negative stuff was more about discouraging from over posting, like "can I have homebrew on my device". Those questions have been covered quite thoroughly. I was trying to make the point that you should just check before you post, and if you have a question that you can't find the answer to, then ask.

justinjustin7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hipsters.png

picture related
Alt text: "You may point out that this very retreat into ironic detachment while still clearly participating in the thing in question is the very definition of contemporary hipsterdom. But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?" I'm always happy to see XKCD. [/offtopic]

[ontopic]@SimplyFedorable This thread is like many before, but is more polite and to the point. However, there are some errors I'd like to point out in grammar and spelling (just want to help polish the thread in hopes it does get a sticky).
In step 4: "This is a flawed argument in many, many, reasons" isn't grammatically correct; either replacing "in" with "for" or "reasons" with "ways" along with removing the second comma would fix it.
In step 5: Every case of "pc" is incorrect; replacing every case of it with "game" (except in the title where it should just be removed) would work. Also, to fix the grammar of the first sentence you can omit "is". The last sentence of step 5 is also incorrect; "Without the source code, a pc port near impossible to make it work for 3ds and extremely impractical." could be fixed a multitude of ways, but I'd opt for "Without the source code it's nearly impossible to make a port for 3ds and extremely impractical."
In step 8: Just remove "be" form the last sentence.
In step 10: In the title; "you're" not "your".
In step 11: I'm just gonna try rewriting this one. "If you are developing, be truthful (and reasonable) about your project's plans and progress. The people on gbatemp don't care if your project is amazing, the 3ds homebrew scene doesn't have a whole lot of apps/games and anything is a great contribution. If you lie about your development, you will just piss people off, because your project didn't meet the expectations you set up. If you aren't a dev, and you lie about being one to get a response from gbatempers, you can get out."
Lastly, step 12: Let's make everyone's day better :yay3ds:

(P.S. sorry if any of that sounded harsh or blunt, just want one of these community guidelines to finally be stickied, and improving it's grammar/spelling will hopefully increase the chances of it actually being stickied. good luck!)

Reactions: Luglige

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alt text: "You may point out that this very retreat into ironic detachment while still clearly participating in the thing in question is the very definition of contemporary hipsterdom. But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?" I'm always happy to see XKCD. [/offtopic]

[ontopic]@SimplyFedorable This thread is like many before, but is more polite and to the point. However, there are some errors I'd like to point out in grammar and spelling (just want to help polish the thread in hopes it does get a sticky).
In step 4: "This is a flawed argument in many, many, reasons" isn't grammatically correct; either replacing "in" with "for" or "reasons" with "ways" along with removing the second comma would fix it.
In step 5: Every case of "pc" is incorrect; replacing every case of it with "game" (except in the title where it should just be removed) would work. Also, to fix the grammar of the first sentence you can omit "is". The last sentence of step 5 is also incorrect; "Without the source code, a pc port near impossible to make it work for 3ds and extremely impractical." could be fixed a multitude of ways, but I'd opt for "Without the source code it's nearly impossible to make a port for 3ds and extremely impractical."
In step 8: Just remove "be" form the last sentence.
In step 10: In the title; "you're" not "your".
In step 11: I'm just gonna try rewriting this one. "If you are developing, be truthful (and reasonable) about your project's plans and progress. The people on gbatemp don't care if your project is amazing, the 3ds homebrew scene doesn't have a whole lot of apps/games and anything is a great contribution. If you lie about your development, you will just piss people off, because your project didn't meet the expectations you set up. If you aren't a dev, and you lie about being one to get a response from gbatempers, you can get out."
Lastly, step 12: Let's make everyone's day better :yay3ds:

(P.S. sorry if any of that sounded harsh or blunt, just want one of these community guidelines to finally be stickied, and improving it's grammar/spelling will hopefully increase the chances of it actually being stickied. good luck!)
ok, thanks a ton! wouldn't have found those myself

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protip for google searches:

-"gbatemp.net:", without quotations, will search only the gbatemp website for results.
-putting quotation marks around several words will look for instances of only those words
-adding a - in front of a word will remove all results with instances of that word in the results

For example

gbatemp.net: "animal crossing" cheats -"save editor"

will search all of gbatemp for threads that contain animal crossing cheats, but will remove most threads talking about an animal crossing save editor(more or less). You can also use google to only show results in the past month or week to narrow it down to active threads.

If you're not getting the results you're looking for, try and change your search terms. Plural, alternative phrasing, bad spellings, etc. People call things by weird names sometimes.

Last edited by osaka35,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

This dude gets it. Help or dont. Its amazing how many people will go into a thread just to bitch about not using google, instead of just posting a link to whatever they're looking for. You can also politely tell them to search from then on. Seriously, if your not developing or releasing anything, the least you can do is help people. Otherwise youre just a useless fuck spreading hostility.

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I like the idea of threads like this it's pretty unlikely that it'll be read by the target audience. Anyone who takes the time to read the forum rules probably has a decent understanding of common sense, and won't be asking the same things that have already been posted about dozens of times before(and they certainly won't be asking for impossible things such as a gamecube emulator or a skyrim port(I almost forgot that happened XD)). So while I do appreciate your efforts it was probably a waste of time. Unless you did it to make yourself feel better. Though if that's the case I suggest opening up word/notepad/OpenOffice/whatever and rant. It helps.

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I like the idea of threads like this it's pretty unlikely that it'll be read by the target audience. Anyone who takes the time to read the forum rules probably has a decent understanding of common sense, and won't be asking the same things that have already been posted about dozens of times before(and they certainly won't be asking for impossible things such as a gamecube emulator or a skyrim port(I almost forgot that happened XD)). So while I do appreciate your efforts it was probably a waste of time. Unless you did it to make yourself feel better. Though if that's the case I suggest opening up word/notepad/OpenOffice/whatever and rant. It helps.
yes, I have been hearing how little a difference I'm making. I'm just trying to help

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This dude gets it. Help or dont. Its amazing how many people will go into a thread just to bitch about not using google, instead of just posting a link to whatever they're looking for. You can also politely tell them to search from then on. Seriously, if your not developing or releasing anything, the least you can do is help people. Otherwise youre just a useless fuck spreading hostility.
hmmmmm, I may add that to a post, another that just states if a nooby question is asked, just respond and ask them to use google from then on. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse