Gaming Newbie to the PS4 What to Buy and What to Do?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
HDD size is a priority. The ravenous PS4 devours space, some games exceeding 50GB (after patches and DLC).

Myself I've focused on "outside the box" games. Atelier Sophie of all things turned out surprisingly addictive.
Mega Man Legacy Collection is solid too.

Spotty translation aside, I'm hopeful Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers paves the way for something awesome. Maybe I should keep an eye on SD Gundam G Generation Genesis.

Reactions: digipimp75

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
HDD size is a priority. The ravenous PS4 devours space, some games exceeding 50GB (after patches and DLC).

Myself I've focused on "outside the box" games. Atelier Sophie of all things turned out surprisingly addictive.
Mega Man Legacy Collection is solid too.

Spotty translation aside, I'm hopeful Super Robot Wars OG The Moon Dwellers paves the way for something awesome. Maybe I should keep an eye on SD Gundam G Generation Genesis.
Buying a new 1 tb hard drive (or bigger) is a good idea.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should of built a pc instead.Ps4 has decent exclusives and even more exclusives to be coming soon but that's roughly it.Mixing 3rd party into a console with exclusive titles as its main strength is kind of hard and controversial because of the 30fps lock on most games there.My advice would be to try and avoid 3rd party on ps4,stick to the exclusives on there and save up for a pc where you get 3rd party at 60fps with limitless external mod support.
There you are!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Should of built a pc instead.Ps4 has decent exclusives and even more exclusives to be coming soon but that's roughly it.Mixing 3rd party into a console with exclusive titles as its main strength is kind of hard and controversial because of the 30fps lock on most games there.My advice would be to try and avoid 3rd party on ps4,stick to the exclusives on there and save up for a pc where you get 3rd party at 60fps with limitless external mod support.
pc master race here!
btw, is this race as in running or species?
pc master race here with running meaning -> pc is winning the race like this
or pc master race with species meaning -> pc is the new hitler, it will kill all others who don't belong to pc race!

but ok, now back to the actual comment, OP is asking which ps4 to buy, not what gaming device he should get...
i am a PC fan, and yeah, pc is much superior and blablabla (however i also do enjoy consoles).
this convo of pc vs consoles is so worn out like crack whore.. pc is far superior. The end.. if you need to point it out each time someone asks about a console, maybe it's not that superior?
so let's stop it. like i said OP is asking what ps4 to buy, it's pretty much implied he already made his mind on what system to get, so either answer the actual question or stop shamming the pc master race...

ponygals

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nataliezworld.com
XP
Country
United States
How does the playstation vue work, is it worth the $30 a month? Can you cancel at any time without any cancelation fee's or extra fee's? Is it an even $30.00 or more? Can you turn the channels just like a regular TV broadcast or have to use the vue player itself to browse the channels?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does the playstation vue work, is it worth the $30 a month? Can you cancel at any time without any cancelation fee's or extra fee's? Is it an even $30.00 or more? Can you turn the channels just like a regular TV broadcast or have to use the vue player itself to browse the channels?

I never used the playstation vue, but from what i know, is basically a TV service for supported devices like ps4, you basically pay subscription to watch stuff like Cable tv but it requires internet. So is just a TV service, although perhaps networks on their services may not be on there, while on others in vice versa.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe? I am not sure.

Unless there's something special about the game for some strange reason, you need a paid account to play anything online.

Should of built a pc instead..

Keep your PC shilling to yourself. He asked about PS4 specifically, in the PS4 section.

Last edited by tbb043,

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

^^ Definitely this!! The first thing I did after getting a PS4 was install a 2tb drive, and it was well worth it. I have a ton of games and still have about 1tb of space left.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ Definitely this!! The first thing I did after getting a PS4 was install a 2tb drive, and it was well worth it. I have a ton of games and still have about 1tb of space left.
Is it easy to install the drive? I also wonder this since having my PS3 Grill, since i actually have more games that i can't download since is only 500GB which sucks, just shows how much i buy games. Being a sucker for good sales and having free games for PS+ doesn't help Like turning into your steam account. :P

D

Deleted User

Unless there's Keep your PC shilling to yourself. He asked about PS4 specifically, in the PS4 section.
Doesn't matter because consoles are outdated and will eventually be the standard platform anyway which will take over the forums soon,all I did was give facts about each platform so take it with a grain of salt.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

pc master race here!
btw, is this race as in running or species?
pc master race here with running meaning -> pc is winning the race like this
or pc master race with species meaning -> pc is the new hitler, it will kill all others who don't belong to pc race!

but ok, now back to the actual comment, OP is asking which ps4 to buy, not what gaming device he should get...
i am a PC fan, and yeah, pc is much superior and blablabla (however i also do enjoy consoles).
this convo of pc vs consoles is so worn out like crack whore.. pc is far superior. The end.. if you need to point it out each time someone asks about a console, maybe it's not that superior?
so let's stop it. like i said OP is asking what ps4 to buy, it's pretty much implied he already made his mind on what system to get, so either answer the actual question or stop shamming the pc master race...
Once again all I did was give facts and advice about the 2 platforms.I don't take the gaming console war seriously.Pcmasterrace is considered a joke btw so I could care less.

Last edited by ,

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
you can easily install a SSD or larger HDD with 1 screw.
i was going to install an SSD but i just looked at the storage on my 500gb ps4, i only have 100gb free and all my 9 games are on DISC! forget the SSD i am going with a 1tb or larger HDD

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well first you open the box assuming it's new if it's used you might not need to take it out of the box. Then you buy games for it, don't buy Xbox One games they don't work on PS4. Then you hook it up to your television, you need something called a HIGH DEFINITION Television because PS4 uses what's called an HDMI chord. ?. Profit.

p.s. you also need electricity, and a place to live that allows electricity. Hope this guide helps.

Last edited by ,

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it easy to install the drive? I also wonder this since having my PS3 Grill, since i actually have more games that i can't download since is only 500GB which sucks, just shows how much i buy games. Being a sucker for good sales and having free games for PS+ doesn't help Like turning into your steam account. :P

Yep, it's incredibly easy. There's several tuts out there on how to do it.

How did you install a 2TB drive onto a PS4 console? Isn't that illegal? lol

Of course it's legal :) Sony made it easy for the end user to install a different hdd, unlike MS.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you install a 2TB drive onto a PS4 console? Isn't that illegal? lol
sshdd are great for ps4 as well. part ssd(for speed),part hdd (for cheap space).

if i recall correctly, ps4 uses laptop sized hdd (harddrive) which means 2.5". so search "2TB sshdd 2.5" ". this is my personal opinion, but i find the speed and space are brilliant.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to check out Square Enix's upcoming offerings. It's gonna be guud!
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX
  • DragonQuest 11
  • DragonQuest Builders
  • World of Final Fantasy
Some heavy-hitters and some smaller spin-offs. Pretty nice!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night