Newbie - R4 SDHC (www.r4sdhc.com) - alt kernel options?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by AAG, Sep 11, 2010.

Sep 11, 2010
  1. AAG
    OP

Newcomer AAG Newbie

United States
    Hi

I've got a hand-me down R4 SDHC Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS) currently using R4 English 1.34 (from http://www.r4sdhc.com/r4sdhc.asp).

Its using a 1GB SandISK MicroSD card formated a FAT using the Panasocnic SD Formatter.

Most roms work - but sonic all star racing just white screens. Googling this opens the possiblity to alternative kernels (which I didn't know existed, and it seems that my card is actually a DSTT clone - so wood r4 will not work on it(I think thats right?)).

I stumpled accross this site & I've read (& re-read) the various stickies on here - and an now completely confused!

My question in a nutshell is - are there any options for using any alternative loader/kernel/gui for my card? (And is there a simply guide which shows installation for a newbie?)

I haven't found an existing answer - so I do appologise if this has been asked before. Please don't flame me - just help me out!

Thanks in advance

AAG

PS I spent most of last night following various guides (but mainly the 2 downloads from the start of http://gbatemp.net/t221023-wood-r4-for-clones) and did manage to get R4 Wood loading - games would start (sonic racing/mario kart) - and then a screen within the game complained about not being able to create a save - reinsert the card and try again. (Although there was a.nds.sav file created?) It was only this morining that I reliased that that post was over 30 pages long/had been closed!

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Your best option is to bite the bullet and get a new cart. You only have a 1GB MicroSD card, so get the 1:1 R4 from ShopTemp as it's only $6 and they run Wood with no issues. It's your best choice in the long run, and a lot easier than messing around with YSMenu.

Sonic Racing isn't that recent, there will be quite a few other games it won't run too. They will work on Wood.

Otherwise try following one of the YSMenu guides.

3. guinness

Member guinness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you decide to go down the YSMenu route, check out post 32 in this topic

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  5. AAG
    OP

Newcomer AAG Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the replies.

I've managed to get Sonic Racing loading - after a bit more searching - it seems as long as you use the 1.32 kernel (that the imporant part - it doesn't work with 1.34)- and use the procedure outlined here

http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=9002l

(from r4.bat - choose the option to load as a normal .ds file).

The only part of the guide I'm not sure about as the "Get the latest extinfo/infolib/savlib here" - as the link is broken.

What do I do with these files (in relation to R4_custom_English.zip) - and is this link equivalent http://filetrip.net/f21810-TTDS-EXT-INFO-SAV-6-32.html ????

Thanks

6. Aurionfox

Member Aurionfox GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    why you don't use WAIO? i have the same flashcard and i can run every single game, including the latests like super scribblenauts

7. pikachu945

Member pikachu945 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  8. valp

Newcomer valp Advanced Member

Brazil
    Well, I bought this R4 SDHC, but it hasn't arrived yet.
    The readme of waio is a bit messy...
    What you guys are saying is that we can play the wood-supported games
    with this waio?
    You just need to boot ysmenu on the r4, and then waio.nds, and then r4loaderdldi.nds to play the games? That's it?
    Thanks for the enlightening the question =)