Hacking Newbie questions - please be gentle

scubamage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I have a number of questions, and was hoping to get some quick answers. I have looked around, and to be honest, it is information overload without having the console in my hands. Bad form? Probably, and I apologize.

I'll be picking up a 3DS XL this friday - the gold Legend of Zelda edition (I couldn't argue with the price point). I haven't seen anything listed about the firmware that it will be released with; I am assuming that it's 6.2.0-12U (the latest shown on the nintendo website). Does anyone know for sure?

I am also trying to look into emulators, homebrew, and playing roms (isn't everyone on this forum, ha!). So, I am trying to make sense of how it works. From the information I've seen, there are two modes of operation - 3DS mode and DS/i mode. 3DS mode is "sort of" exploited by Gateway, but you have to use version ~4.5 firmware, which is not an option for me. Is that correct? Not a huge issue, an exploit will eventually be found, just like on the Wii, and I'm patient, lol.

Now, I guess my confusion is more on the DS/i mode, which appears to be exploited. Is this a separate firmware that allows for this? Or is it an embedded portion of the 3ds firmware as a whole, and liable to be patched? Is this permanently exploited?

What are the major features between the different cartridges available - is there some type of matrix floating around? Will all of them work on a 3ds XL running the latest firmware? Are they capable of running homebrew, or just playing roms? The ones that I've seen talked about the most are the R4 and the DSTWO because they both have an embedded CPU, and from other forums, the DSTWO receives extremely rapid updates.

I have lots of questions, and have been reading through the faqs as I said.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, DS flashcarts still work on the newest firmware. However, if you just want to play DS games, you might as well do it on an Android smartphone or tablet via DraStic emulator. DS emulation on Android is close to perfect.

Reactions: scubamage

scubamage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, DS flashcarts still work on the newest firmware. However, if you just want to play DS games, you might as well do it on an Android smartphone or tablet via DraStic emulator. DS emulation on Android is close to perfect.

Thank you for the feedback! I tend to travel a lot, and when I'm on a plane or overseas, I feel like using the console is a better option (form factor, and I usually don't take my phone with me overseas). Plus SNES/NES/GBA emulation would be fun too.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll be picking up a 3DS XL this friday - the gold Legend of Zelda edition (I couldn't argue with the price point). I haven't seen anything listed about the firmware that it will be released with; I am assuming that it's 6.2.0-12U (the latest shown on the nintendo website). Does anyone know for sure?

It's something obvious, but who I am to tear your hopes down, just don't commit the mistake of buying it before a review...

I am also trying to look into emulators, homebrew, and playing roms (isn't everyone on this forum, ha!).

ONLY THE GATEWAY 3DS PLAYS 3DS ROMS / 3DS STILL NOT HACKED

So, I am trying to make sense of how it works. From the information I've seen, there are two modes of operation - 3DS mode and DS/i mode. 3DS mode is "sort of" exploited by Gateway, but you have to use version ~4.5 firmware, which is not an option for me. Is that correct? Not a huge issue, an exploit will eventually be found, just like on the Wii, and I'm patient, lol.

It may never happen, no one knows for sure.

Now, I guess my confusion is more on the DS/i mode, which appears to be exploited. Is this a separate firmware that allows for this? Or is it an embedded portion of the 3ds firmware as a whole, and liable to be patched? Is this permanently exploited?

I don't think there's a way to separate the firmwares. About the DSi hack, I read that it's still functional, but the launcher was patched, I may be wrong in this, but the result is the same.

What are the major features between the different cartridges available - is there some type of matrix floating around? Will all of them work on a 3ds XL running the latest firmware? Are they capable of running homebrew, or just playing roms? The ones that I've seen talked about the most are the R4 and the DSTWO because they both have an embedded CPU, and from other forums, the DSTWO receives extremely rapid updates.

Only the Gateway has shown a guarantee of future updates, the other 3DS flashcarts are plain clones (and actually the same with different brands).
At the moment, they only work for loading ROMs, but you are welcomed to read Gateway's latests FAQs about their upcoming firmware: http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

About DS Flashcards, DSTWO is said to be the best and you just said why . I'm not sure about R4 having a processor as well...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Playing on native hardware is always a superior experience to emulation. Little details matter, especially control issues.

As for your questions OP, >4.5 3ds exploits are likely a long way off, if ever. Second, the ds mode exploits on the 3ds are all flashcard based, and only DStwo card seems to beat every 3ds firmware update without issue (no DS mode exploits are permanent or guaranteed). I would recommend looking into getting one of them.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So you can have close to perfect on Android, or get a DSTWO for the 3DS and have 100% perfect. I think I'll stick with recommending DSTWO.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This, and it's a lot cheaper to get just a DSTWO in all honestly. 100% compatibility as opposed to inherently flawed emulation.

I wouldn't say cheaper unless the OP doesn't already have a smartphone available.

An emulator costs nothing if you pirate it, and even if you buy it (which you should to support the developer of such an awesome emulator), it'll still be cheaper. You don't even need a top-of-the-line smartphone. It runs at full-speed on my GS2 which came out over 2 years ago.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say cheaper unless the OP doesn't already have a smartphone available.

An emulator costs nothing if you pirate it, and even if you buy it (which you should to support the developer of such an awesome emulator), it'll still be cheaper. You don't even need a top-of-the-line smartphone. It runs at full-speed on my GS2 which came out over 2 years ago.

Whoops, yeah, I meant assuming he just has a 3DS and/or DS Lite, then yeah, the DSTWO is dirt cheap, and if he has an Android device, emulation all the way.

scubamage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all of the help. I tried DraStic on my android phone, and while it is usable, I honestly think I'll enjoy the handheld more, so I am probably going to go in the direction of the DSTWO. I just have to wait until friday morning to kick off the order when I can verify the Zelda firmware. Thanks again!

player3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally prefer to keep a separate system for DS games. I have a DSi and the screen looks better than the DS games do on the 3DS. Also worth noting, the Gateway comes with a DS card too so you could use that in a separate DS system for emulation/homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1