Newbie Questions About My 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JellyWoo, Nov 2, 2012.

Nov 2, 2012
  1. JellyWoo
    OP

Newcomer JellyWoo Newbie

United States
    Just bought a new 3DS XL, firmware 4.2.0-9. After reading the stickies, I want to get some things straight. First off, it seems like the two most popular flashcards are the R4i Gold and the Supercard DS2. Theres a pretty significant price gap between the two, so what makes the Supercard that much better/more expensive? Next, 3DS roms are not supported yet, but which flashcard has the most potential to be able to support them in the future?

Thanks for the help.

2. YoshiInAVoid

Member YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    DS2 Supports GBA and SNES emulation but R4i Gold does not. Another option is the Acekard 2i.

None of these cards will ever support 3DS ROMs, you will have to buy another card when 3DS mode is hacked.

3. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I don't think that the Acekard is a good option because it needs much time to get fixes for a new 3ds firmware.

The Supercard has lots of features - not just emulation. It has very good Real Time features (you can save while you're playing a game, you can select cheats in the game and other things like this). It can play video files like avi with 640x320p. without problems and there are some apps that need the ds2 to work.
    The hardware difference between the supercard dstwo and the r4i gold is, that the supercard dstwo has a CPU onboard.

/edit
    The Acekard is more expensive than the R4i gold and has less updates. The R4i has almost every function of the Acekard and it supports even the skins of the acekard.

4. JellyWoo
    OP

Newcomer JellyWoo Newbie

United States
    How long is it going to be until a card comes out that will support 3DS roms aka is it worth it to wait for one to come out or should I just buy a R4, Acekard, or Supercard now?

5. frank12

Newcomer frank12 Member

Netherlands
    It could take a little while for a 3ds card to come out, nobody knows when.
    I suggest you buying a R4 or acekard as these are not that expensive.
    If you plan on spending a little bit more money you could buy the Supercard.
    PS. Look a little bit arround the forums and check if you really are going to use the extra features the Supercard brings.

6. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Maybe we mustn't spend our money for a 3ds flashcard, It's possible that we can get a 3DS Homebrewchannel like the dsi had.

7. JellyWoo
    OP

Newcomer JellyWoo Newbie

United States
    In this FAQ, it says that the Supercard team has stated that "even though the 3DS will feature new anti-piracy protection mechanisms, the possibilities offered by the SCDSTWO's embedded CPU will allow them to find a workaround quickly." Does this mean the DS2 will be able to support 3DS roms with a firmware update?

8. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    No, it means it's easy to bypass AP and play your DS roms after a blocking update.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Nobody knows when a 3DS flash cart is coming, out, searching will not get you any answers because they don't exist.

Buy a DS flash cart for now if you want DS games, and if a 3DS flash cart comes out later, get that.

10. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    Nobody really knows if a flashcart will ever come out that supports 3ds roms. Of course we could all be wrong.

11. Derek D

Newcomer Derek D Member

China
    there is no doubt that DStwo is the best card at present, although it's expensive.
    also it's the most powful one, with lots of plugin. you can play music, video, GBA games, etc.
    I think it's the most potential one to fulfill the 3ds roms.