Newbie here

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by codezer0, Apr 7, 2010.

Apr 7, 2010

Newbie here by codezer0 at 4:53 AM (805 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    FYI, no I did not install it yet. So before anyone starts saying that I shouldn't have downloaded it with the flashed firmware... [​IMG]

However, before I start, I do want to be clear on how I need to go about this. Though I couldn't save the very original firmware that the drive came with, the LT firmware I have saved does contain the original drive key (thank god, right?). [​IMG]

If I understand this correctly, I need to:
    - Shut down Xbox (obviously)
    - Take DVD-ROM drive out
    - Have Jungleflasher pass the drive key onto a "stock" firmware for my drive (Lite-on 7k series)
    - Somehow, verify that it is back to stock mode before putting it back in the console
    - Assemble Xbox, get online, download/install update.
    - Once updated, disassemble xbox
    - Get DVD-ROM flashed with LT again (is there a newer revision out now?)
    - Reassemble console, and resume business as usual

Is this correct? Am I missing any steps here? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yes, this is how you should do it.

i just updated my 360 with ixtreme lt 1.1 still on it and a copied game in the drive, works fine, also on live [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you do indeed have to return to stock:

You can leave the lid off the 360 to save disassembling.
    I would not bother with verifying beyond what jungleflasher already does on flashing the drive.
    There is a 1.1 version of LT out now for liteon, it helps with dirty disc errors for some media in the case of the liteon and although it is not for you the 1.1 LT for benq is necessary as it fixes a security issue.

4. codezer0
    OP

United States
    So how would I go about updating the console with minimal to no risk of being flagged for a ban?

5. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Such a question is tantamount to asking for the exact reasons why banning happens really.

"best" practices goes something like:

Flashing back is suggested in the NFO but it was never elaborated on as to why. Assuming you already have keys such a thing is trivial though. I am assuming you using a flashing device and are not powering by 360 (if you are using the 360 it is not really any different but just remember to make an electrical connection between the 360 metal case and your PC).

If I already have keys then I usually like to build all the firmware files I will be using before touching the xbox. If you are playing with LT then make sure you have the latest jungleflasher version as nothing else has kept up with it that I have seen (there is benflasher but that is for benq and no real contest to it).

Best practices:

Grab the drive from the box and set it in flashing mode (tray half open).
    Flash "stock" firmware that has been loaded with key to it- the verification checks it does should be enough to confirm.
    Put drive back in xbox and reassemble as paranoia requires (for tests/short periods I avoid screwing everything back together).
    Update xbox via chosen method (online, disc, USB- it really does not matter)- make sure it has properly finished updating (it will be obvious when it is but it will reboot itself a few times during it)
    Removed drive and set in flashing mode (tray half open)
    Flash back LT+ key (might as well make it 1.1)
    Test 360 to make sure it works as intended and reassemble xbox.

6. codezer0
    OP

United States
    At least the upside to having it online via wireless is that I can keep it offline through all of this, too. At least then my (relative) level of paranoia is eased there. [​IMG]

And yes, I still have my Maximus 360 Xtractor which is how I power up the drive by itself. Also means no fancy cord gymnastics to be done except with the computer I have the VIA card in.

7. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Okay, a quick sum-up of what I'd done.

After re-getting the system that has the VIA card up and running, got the newest Jungleflasher and LT 1.1 firmware; made spoofs with the stock and LT 1.1 firmware. After which, I erased the drive. I did manage to catch it in time for it to return a 0x72 status, but the system still froze up solid on me in Windows.

Back to using a floppy disk and booting up to use DOSflash and L-O-Eras. Flashed the stock firmware.

Put the console back together enough to test, and (since it was supposed to be stock), made sure that it didn't recognize my burned games, and recognized my real games. All was good there. Updated the console, nothing particular showed up indicating a ban. Seriously though, just what would you see with a banned console, anyway?

Went back into DOSflash, erased and loaded the pre-spoofed LT 1.1 firmware.

Put the console back together... I seem to have damaged the 360's Eject button, as it no longer lines up correctly, or will make the 'click' to eject a disk. Thankfully, I do have that remote from buying the HD-DVD drive. Even so... updated, and now on LT 1.1.

Still annoyed that I can't ever seem to get JungleFlasher to let me flash from within windows, as the whole system just locks up immediately, and absolutely no keyboard/mouse input will create a response once it does. [​IMG]

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    i believe that the OFFICIAL offline update has been posted on the 360 website

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemus...stemupdates.htm

i can't really confirm this yet, havn't tried it, but its odd since MS usually include the system update number in the file name (its just named systemupdate this time round [​IMG])

can anyone confirm its the new update ?

EDIT: its the new update. just tried and checked, works fine

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have to run shortly but http://www.hb-released.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=509#p509 is an update checker to see what is what.

@codezer0 I seem to recall we did this when you were initially flashing it the other month (fiddling with drivers and the like) but what happened when you pull the drive out? On the other hand good to know you got it sorted.
    As for the eject button try reseating the entire thing rather than trying to pull it to a given point- it is a fairly common/easy to make mistake when rebuilding a 360.