Newbie here with 4.0 U on Korean Wii (downgrade using Any Region Chang

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blazerMFT, May 27, 2009.

1. blazerMFT
    OP

Newcomer blazerMFT Newbie

Hong Kong
    Hello there, new to the Wii, and have some questions so please bear with me. [​IMG]

My Wii is on 3.2 U, and I need to access Wii Shop Channel to buy points to play online. However, seeing as how many forums I've browsed has had "DO NOT UPGRADE" or "AVOID 4.0 U LIKE THE PLAGUE!" on it, this seems very unnerving to me.

I tried to access the Wii Shop Channel, and it told me to agree to the terms in the settings. Now since I'm trying to do this for the first time, it tells me that a system upgrade needs to be performed prior to using it. So far I've found no other workaround for this. To use the Shop, I need to agree to the terms, to agree to the terms, I need to update.

I have the following on my Wii: HBC, Gamma. That's it. No modchips.

Is there a workaround for this, or if I'm to access my Wii shop, I need to really update first and find a way to downgrade to 3.2 U later? (I'm guessing this will let me keep using the Wii Shop without having to agree to terms another time?)

Thanks for any responses.

EDIT: Add another question, if I really need to update to use the Wii Shop channel, would I be able to use Any Region Changer in the future to downgrade from 4.0 U to 3.2 U? As mentioned, I have HBC, and IOS 249 (seems to be what is required)

2. ocdetective

Member ocdetective GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    This is probably what you want to use. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSCU
    However as a precaution I would advise installing Bootmii first and backing up your NAND - its basically good practice.

3. blazerMFT
    OP

Hong Kong
    Hello there, and thanks for the tip.

I would just like to clarify, if I use this method, I would not need to connect to the internet and agree to some TOS?

Because that's just my problem at the moment, I need to use Wii Shop for the first time. The first time prompts you to agree to some terms of service, but before you do so, need to do a system update.

This will bypass the need for agreeing to the terms?

4. ocdetective

Malaysia
    I believe you will have to agree to the terms and conditions, irrespective of what version of firmware you are on if its your first time of use - though somebody else can clarify that.
    What you will not have to do is a system update (which nintendo are asking you to do so that you get the latest version of the shop channel - however the update would naturally update more than just the shop channel!)

5. blazerMFT
    OP

Hong Kong
    Ok, that's one more question clarified, thanks.

It goes like this, I try to access the Wii Shop, it says go to settings to agree with the terms.

I go the Wii settings -> Internet -> Terms (? not in front of my Wii now).

Once I pick Terms, it automatically brings me to a screen that shows: "To do this you must update system firmware" or something to that effect.

Unless there's a way to access the Terms from the System Menu, then I'm pretty much left with updating and then downgrading, is that correct?

6. ocdetective

Malaysia
    The update is requested as it is missing some IOS (I believe IOS61) for the latest shop channel - Wiiscu will install that so the update should not be requested. If you install Bootmii and backup nand straight away and then subsequently install and try wiiscu and it doesn't work you could always simply revert back to where you were before installing wiiscu...