Newbie here. Why are the r4i-sdhc cards not recommended, and would one be sufficient for me?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by teh_ryn, Apr 26, 2013.

1. teh_ryn
    OP

Newcomer teh_ryn Member

United States
    I'm sorry if this comes up a lot and you guys are tired of answering it by now, but I am just curious if someone can give me a solid reason/set of reasons why the r4i-sdhc cards do not come recommended the way the dstwo and r4 gold cards do, and help me to determine if it's something that affects me.

From what I have been able to glean from other posts, the r4i-sdhc cards do not run wood. This is the only concrete thing I've read ("it sucks" or "it's cheap" isn't helpful!) but since I'm new to all of this, this doesn't mean as much to me as it probably should. What is the big deal about being able to run wood?

I am still a little bit on the fence about getting a flash cart; it's something I'm imagining would be nice and open up a lot of possibilities, but isn't really required for what I want to do. Honestly what I want to do most is just make save backups of my Pokemon and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning games so that I can have multiple files and have the option of item/pokemon cloning without using cheat codes or pokesav. I was looking at the r4i Save Dongle (put out by the same people as the r4i-sdhc) for that.

A friend of mine has some r4 clone flash cart that's old enough we're not even sure what it is, but it still works. He's been using that to run a second copy of pokemon on his second ds and trade himself starter pokemon and the like. After seeing him do this it's made me think that a flash cart in combination with the save dongle might be pretty cool to have.

So as you can see, I'm not really interested in anything super fancy... I don't need to run GBA roms, and all I really want is something that works, is super easy to update and as simple to use as possible--this is more important to me than features. I just want reliability (minimal chance of bricking my system) and ease of use. I was looking at the r4i-sdhc for this. Is this a mistake? I got the impression that they weren't a total fly-by-night and that they've made it through multiple 3DS updates--is this incorrect? (I'm also not sure if I care -that- much about future compatibility with system updates because while it would be nice to maintain compatibility with my 3DS, I plan to pick up a DS Lite shortly.)

TL;DNR: What is the big deal of being able to run Wood, and how complicated is it? I just want something super easy to use, as this is my first flash cart and I don't plan to do too much with it, so I want a minimal time investment and minimal chance of bricking my system. I'm a little intimidated by cards like the dstwo because I've read that they're somewhat complicated to set up.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/
    Read lower in the first post for an explanation on why we don't recommend R4/i-SDHC and the like.

Wood is not special anymore, in fact the Acekard and Supercard don't run Wood. The only reason people shit their collective pants over Wood is because it gave previously-unsupported carts game updates again. Carts that actually had support, however, have no need of Wood.

FIRMWARE updates, on the other hand, are important, and one of the main reasons people buy the DSTwo. It's the ONLY flash cart that still works on the DSi/3DS that has never needed a second model (i.e. you buying it again) to keep working.

3. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    well, if you get a ds lite anyways, just get a 7 buck card, its probably going to be sufficient for your.
    since theres probably not another good ds game coming out, you dont need to worry about updates at all.

though you probably need to rewind your ds lites date settings every half year or something, as some of the sdhc firmwares come with an expiry date.

4. teh_ryn
    OP

Newcomer teh_ryn Member

United States
    Are you referring to the bit about support? Is r4i-sdhc known for poor support?

I haven't heard of this before. Is this common, and does anyone know if it's the case with the r4i-sdhc 3ds?

Thanks for the feedback!

5. Rydian

United States
    http://r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp
    R4 Upgrade
    R4i Upgrade
    R4i Upgrade v1.4
    R4i Upgrade v1.4.5
    R4i 3DS
    r4i 3DS v4.5
    You can see how many revisions they've made, and while it's not explicitly mentioned there, the newer ones can use newer firmware updates while the older ones cannot (which is why they put out new models marked with the firmware they support). Checking their home page...
    You'll notice that the older model owners were told "don't update until we put out a patch" in December, and no such update appears to exist.

Now, if you're just going to be using a DS/Lite, then firmware upgrades aren't that important to you, but you should consider a team's track record as far as support goes.

And from checking the download page as well, you can see they even mention the expiry date issue themselves. This is just one of the teams that does it for some reason.

6. teh_ryn
    OP

Newcomer teh_ryn Member

United States
    Also to be clear, is the r4i-sdhc connected in any way to some of the other carts I have read about like the purple sticker, green sticker, there's a silver one, etc...? There's so many it's hard to keep straight who is who. :)

7. Rydian

United States
    "R4" is a named used by hundreds of people in China, because China doesn't give two fucks about copyright. The only thing we can use to categorize flash carts is the site printed on them. Each team has their own site, and the sites generally list which products they manage. For example r4-sdhc.com is different from r4i-sdhc.com and so on.

8. teh_ryn
    OP

Newcomer teh_ryn Member

United States
    Thank you very much for pointing this out. I'd been on their website but I didn't realize there were more than 2 physical models released (the one for the dsi, and the one for 3ds). I thought it was just software builds.

Even if I just run this on a DS Lite I am definitely rethinking this cart.

Does the r4i Gold recommended cart have the same date-rollback requirement/issue?

9. Rydian

United States
    None of the carts in the suggested list have expiry dates on the software. If you're just using it on a DS/Lite than the r4ids.cn cart should work just fine.

10. teh_ryn
    OP

Newcomer teh_ryn Member

United States
    Thank you, Rydian!