Hacking Newbie help: Questions about R4 and EZFlash

Saf1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my EZFlash 3in1, and, thanks to some other users, am finally able to get GBA games working fine. I still have a few small questions though:

1. How do I get rid of the border around the GBA game? It says like R4 GBA Loader or something.

2. I don't understand the whole temporary permanent memory thing. So if I save it onto the EZ Flash, I... I don't understand it at all really.

3. Do I do this same process with every game?

4. Are there any games that don't work?

5. On the R4's main menu it shows 3 options. Game, Multimedia, and Slot 2. What's the use of the "Slot 2" option? Don't I always just load things off of Rudolph's tool anyway?

Any help would be really great.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
5. On the R4's main menu it shows 3 options. Game, Multimedia, and Slot 2. What's the use of the "Slot 2" option? Don't I always just load things off of Rudolph's tool anyway?

I only ever use that for booting GBA games with (real ones).

QUOTEHow do I get rid of the border around the GBA game? It says like R4 GBA Loader or something.

I'd like an answer for that too.

Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't cut off the GBA screen at all, I think it just fills in the black empty space.

At least with the GBA you could make the GB/C games Strech to fit the screen :/.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Delete all copies of gbaframe.bmp from the _system_ folder and the _system_\themes\themeXX folders on the microSD card. This will remove the border image, but there will still be a black border around the edge of the screen when playing GBA games.

2. The 3-in-1 has 32MB (megabytes) of NOR flash memory, and 16MB of PSRAM. You can run GBA games from either, but games larger than 16MB won't fit in PSRAM.

The PSRAM is volatile memory; it can only retain data while the power is on. It takes about 1 second per megabyte to copy games into PSRAM, and this must be done each time you want to play a game.

NOR flash memory is non-volatile memory; once data is written to it, it stays there until it is erased and rewritten. It takes much longer to copy a game to NOR (up to nearly five minutes for the largest games), but once a game is in NOR it will start instantly. The 3-in-1 can be used like a regular GBA game cart when a game is in NOR.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by this. The process for running GBA games is as follows: SRAM patch the game with GBATA, put it on the memory card, and run it from PSRAM or copy it to NOR.

4. Not that I know of, but "2 in 1: Dr. Mario & Puzzle League" apparently can't be SRAM patched, so it can't save. It still runs though.

5. This will boot the slot 2 cart. If you have a game written to NOR, you can launch it with this button rather than starting it from the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool.

This option will also allow you to run DS software in .ds.gba form (that's an .nds file with a special loader attached to it, mainly used for homebrew) from the 3-in-1, though there isn't much DS software that needs to be run from a slot 2 cart these days.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think that you can put your bmp image on the _system folder of Micro SD and that will be the frame when you use themes that do not have its own GBA border. Basically a default.

lecture.gif
Nuh-uh-uh!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones...