Newbie guide for newbies trying to Homebrew an up to date 3DS. Using PowerSaves and Ocarina of Time.

So I'm a newbie at this whole Homebrew thing. I actually just got started with it this week (because I wanted to hack Monster Hunter Generations). It's a very scary process to look at when you've got no experience, and I held off so long because I was sure I'd end up bricking my system.

But with the help of some people on this site, and various other sites, I managed to figure it all out. The problem I had when trying to understand all this, is that most people give you answers as if you already know just what you're doing. And a lot of people were basically telling me to use existing Homebrew software to update my new system, completely ignoring the fact that I've never done anything like this before.

So I wanted to share my newbie guide on getting started. I posted this in a thread for APM's MHG editor, and a lot of people have responded to me to thank me for how helpful it was. I just wanted to share with others who might be having trouble getting started.

So, start off going here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Download the Homebrew Starter Kit and unzip it into the root of your 3DS SD card. It will put a file in the root and make a 3DS folder with other stuff.
Remember to unzip the contents of the Starter folder, not the folder itself.

Also get JK's Save Manager: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/
Again, unzip it to the root and it will put everything where needed. Same as before, you want the contents, not the folder it's all in in the zip.

Assuming you're using Ocarina of Time, you need: https://github.com/yellows8/oot3dhax/releases

Now, put your OoT in your Powersaves and back up your save.
It goes in C:/Users/<Your User Name>/PowerSaves

On http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ use the Otherapp/robpin tool. Put in your system type (old or new) and the version. Hit download ropbin. It will give you a file, you don't need to save it, just keep it up for reference.
In the zip for the OoT hack, there will be a couple of folders with PowerSaves files. There's two sets, I used the bottom. You may have to try the other if it doesn't work. Go to the folder for the country your system is for, and in it find the file that matches the ropbin file that you have for reference.

Copy that file to the directory of your PowerSaves backups. Copy the name of the backup you had made, then delete/rename it, and paste the name as the new name for the file you grabbed from the OoT folder.
Then when you load up PowerSaves, you restore that file back to the cart.

Then, with your SD card back in your system, load up OoT on your 3DS. Hit A to get to the start, load up the hacked save, and when everything is loaded on screen in the game, hit A. This will boot the Homebrew.

This last part has to do with exporting your MHG save specifically:

Once in the Homebrew, put your MHG cart in, and go down the list to JK's save program. Select ExtraData, and export. Give it a name and export it.
Now you can pop your SD card in your computer, and run the MHG editor and just load up the exported file, which will be under the SD:/JKSV/ExtData/<Game Name>/<Save Name you choose>

Once you're done, save, then pop the SD back in and just do the same, except Import the extradata.

Lord Blade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, like I said, I'd posted it in the thread for APM's editor, and was basically responding to people in my situation asking exactly what I did to get my system set up.
Plus, I wish I had that sort of step by step when I was figuring it out. I had to muddle along myself because people often gave vague responses on how to get stuff done.

People telling me to just use the ropbin version of the file I needed. Without explaining what that was, or where or how I would figure out what my ropbin version was.
I mean, I get that most people on here are used to dealing with others who have plenty of experience and are looking more for tips than a "how to", but it's quite overwhelming for those new to all this.

Reactions: JamesyPoo

Teacherman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Lord Blade, I am going to follow your guide right now. I am in the same boat as you were in and you made this process seem extra simple.

Lord Blade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once you have the Homebrew going, you can just go down to JK's program to export your save. Be aware that depending on the game it's either stored on the cart or the SD card. You'll generally get info on that when you go to a topic for an editor for whatever game you're looking to hack. Once it's exported, just pop your SD into your computer and use whatever hack method you've found.

There's tons of awesome editors for games on here, so you don't have to worry about trying to manually Hex edit your saves and such for the most part.

Teacherman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Blade,

Thank you so much... Your guide was amazing and I am winning because of you... If you are ever in Boston, first three rounds are on me...

Hold on.... When I try to import the file I receive a message saying Didn't find any data to import.

Teacherman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Blade,

I finally figured everything out, Thank you.

I had to make a few minor adjustment to make the save work:
1. export the exportdata (via memory card)
2. edit save and create cool stuff (Save)
3. exit JK saves (memory card still in pc; monster hunter in the 3ds)- I did this step while doing step 2
4. return memory card to 3ds
5. open JK saves and then imported extradata

This worked for me, I hope this helps someone else.

BattyLad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I was in your position as well, so thank you so much for making this guide for our perspectives. I do have some questions:

1. I noticed that you said "Assuming you're using Ocarina of Time". Does this imply that your workaround could work with other games as well (Pokemon ORAS, for example)? I'd like to confirm this before pitching out the $20.
2. Does it matter if the game is a digital e-shop copy or a physical one?

and lastly,

3. Just to clarify, when you say "Up-to-date 3DS", you're referring to the 11.0.0-33u firmware, correct? This is the one I currently have.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate this.

EDIT: I did a tiny bit of Google searching, and I found a list of current Homebrew exploits: https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits

I noticed they have something called "smashbroshax", which is a game I do own. Would it be viable if I followed your guide step by step by replaced OoT with Smash instead?

Last edited by BattyLad,

Lord Blade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know that there are other games/programs that you can use as an access to Homebrew. OoT seems to be the easiest overall for those just getting started.
I'm not sure about the difference between a physical or digital copy. To my knowledge, either should work. But you'd be better off asking those who know more about the software.

And yes, I mean up-to-date as in the 11.0.0.33u version of the firmware.
Most of the homebrew systems only seem to work with older versions.

Using Smash Bros should still work. Though their process is a little more finnicky from what I understand.

jessedowen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Lord Blade,
I got Home Brew running after I uploaded my OoT save. But most the programs seem to just go to a yellow or red screen. Nothing seems to work.
I been trying to use the save editor for Monster Hunter Generations digital copy.

Lord Blade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's very strange. You should go to his topic and ask for more help though. I can't really tell you much more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol