Newbie, can some kind person help me please.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Reecey, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Reecey
    OP

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I have just gone done UK CEX and swapped my original 3DS for another 3DS a mint one at that so very happy cost me £10.00 extra to do it but with FW 4.5, now I presume all 4.5 work mine says something like:- Ver 4.5.0-6E is that OK? I just need an answer please, I am new to this I'm not trying to be smug about it and think I have been clever I just want some friendly help. Thank you.

Has anyone got a link on GBATemp to tell me step by step how to go to the 7.1 Gateway CFW please so I don't make any mistakes at all. Do you need to run step 1 in the User Guide Gateway Installer Card first and then go back in to run the Tap L on DS Profile to run the GW3DS 7.1 Custom Firmware or can you just run the Tap L DS Profile GW3DS 7.1 CFW option first anyway?, does it matter which way you start first? I want to do this step first before I start using the Red card and have an upto date 7.1 CFW on it so no mistakes happen, I have the Parental lock on so it wont update but I will feel much happier when the CFW 7.1 is on it!.

I want some good advice please before I start so I dont make any nasty mistakes!

Thanks,

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Some things to note:
    -Parental Lock DOES NOT prevent updates.
    -GW7.1.0 is not really custom firmware, and DOES NOT help in preventing accidental updates. It does allow you to have updated features without updating but it's still possible to accidentally update.

3. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Hi Arras thanks for your reply,

Have you got any advice on what I want to know up above and am I good to go and how do I begin. Thanks. How do I lock the system off from being further updated then apart from Parental Lock which I have found out google? What about cutting wifi off, can you do that in options? I want to start but I'm not prepared to do anything until I have good solid advice from someone who knows.

4. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    You cant really update by mistake as it gives you a prompt where you have to read some license and press yes with touch screen (cant spam A)
    Cutting wifi > just dont flick the switch, you can after you are comfortable with using gateway unless you have kids using your console you can't update by mistake.
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

5. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Do I run the step 1 in the user guide first with the blue card and then go back in to options to update to the CFW 7.1 or can I just run step 1 blue card first and update to the tap L on ds options CFW 7.1 first, does it matter which way I do it?

6. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Limbo
  7. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Yeah it all works, the only thing I struggling with I have backed up my Nand on desktop but I try to run the Tap L on options to update CFW to 7.1 but at the end I dont see any GW3D Version its the same as normal. Do you need to repeat this until it works?

8. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Limbo
    Firstly, it's not custom firmware. It's just an emulated partition of the official 7.1 firmware (or something like this) and you can use this emulated firmware to run retail newer games and eshop etc. If you want to just play the older 3ds roms then don't bother with emuNAND. If you're thinking it's a cfw that will allow you to play backed up games on 7.1 then it won't work.
    Yes, if you aren't seeing gw3d 4.X like in the pic then you aren't in gateway mode and updating it now will update your sysNAND so don't do this.

9. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    I see what I am doing wrong I am not clicking on Format EmuNand after.

Thanks for help I have done it now and all works bit touch and go it hanged a few times on Gateway mode with black screen but a few on and offs sorted it!

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Pick dump nand, then copy your nand to pc for safe keeping, then pick format emunand, then go to settings check it says GW in system settings, then update from there.

Make sure you keep your nand.bin safe, as it's your safety net for accidental updates etc

11. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Got it thanks all!. Did a back up asap of the nand file to my PC and on an SD card for safe keeping :)

I presume now with the new CFW on the Gateway mode do you just now boot up in the Gateway mode all the time to access eshop and online features now etc..and not use the original 3DS boot up mode on 1st turn on or update on original boot up mode on 1st turn on either?

12. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Now Gateway mode is on the latest GW3D CFW 7.1-10 can you play the games online like Mario Kart 7 or Street Fighter 4 at all or is it a big no no?

Also sorry another question I backed my old SD card saves (Nintendo 3DS File)etc. on my PC before I wiped it clean for the Gateway Launcher file but can I put my old files back on my SD card now I'm finished and will the old Nintendo 3DS file save games/pictures etc.. still work on my 3DS or do I have to start of fresh with the SD card?