newbie: bootmii, preloader, and wii updates confusion

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bdaddy31, Dec 28, 2009.

1. bdaddy31
    OP

Newcomer bdaddy31 Newbie

United States
    I have bootmii installed to boot2 and have a nand backup on an sd card. While following the noob guide I then was planning to install preloader (to disable wii updates only, since I didn't need it's backup capabilities) but something went wrong in this process and I "bricked" my wii. I was able to do a restore using my nand backup and have been able to use my wii and mod since, but it has nonetheless left me a little gunshy about trying to install preloader again.

My problem is: My wife just bought a new game (the Jenny McCarthy fitness game) and it's showing that I need to do an update to use it. I'm assuming I can't just do a plain update from the disk and have my mod still work? Is that true? Should I not do any updates at this point via the game? Or is it safe now that my IOS has the mod that the update will work ok?

And if it's not ok to do the disk update, what are my options:
    - do I need to install preloader, put in the hack to prevent updates, then play the new game without the updates? As I mentioned I'm gunshy about this. When I did the install the first time it gave me a notification that "updates were available" for preloader, and I selected that option, and it froze. When I rebooted later it was bricked. Maybe I can just install preloader without choosing that "updates" option in the preloader install and not have issues?

- This Dop-IOS installer..is that an option for loading the updates I need in order to play the new game? It seems it allows you to manually install the IOSes from the nintendo servers...but how will I know which IOSes I need to install in order for the new game to work? Is this in any way intuitive for a newbie?

I tried to do a search on "updates" and such, but it turned up so many unrelated threads thought it might be faster just to come out and ask, even if it is a newb type question :-) Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Ugotpwned35000vr

Newcomer Ugotpwned35000vr Member

United States
    Try booting the game with ocarnia/Gecko OS or use dop-ios to upgrate to 4.0U then update the disk channel it wont freeze