Hacking Newb to wii modding need help with installing wads ticket 2011

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got my buddy's old Wii to settle a debt, and so I've begun the journey into modding it. I've gotten as far as getting homebrew on the wii, installing wad managers, dvdx, and ios36, however I'm having some problems getting these last few blocks in to place. I haven't been using any one single tutorial.
The problem I'm having is this: when I go to install the Backup Launcher .3 gamma ntsc.wad I get the error -2011. In fact a lot of the wads I try to install give me this error. So I did some digging and it looks like you have to be in the right ios.

Here are some bits of information that may be useful:
I'm using Multi-Mod-Manager v13.4 for most of this.
MMM says my current is IOS36 v3608
My version is boot2v4
I'm on 4.3 on IOS80 (spec from wii system info, If this is the problem, how do I change it?)
This is a USA wii

-There is an option on MM to install and patch IOS36 that I felt might be useful, but when I try to execute this option, I'm to "please reload to a IOS capable of homebrew..."

So, would an Wii hacking veterans like to toss in their hats and lend a bloke a hand?

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have those IOS' available to switch to, What other IOS' are trucha bugged? I'm going to go to sleep now and bump this in the morning. Hopefully by the time I wake up though there will be a big fat [$olved] slapped on this topic! One can only hope.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a fakesigned IOS. You could use 236 or 249 for this (with 249 being the preferred one) but you don't have it. I'm not sure why the multiple guides you followed didn't have you install cIOS 249 as it's pretty vital. Rather than following multiple guides though, just download ModMii from this topic: http://gbatemp.net/t...ii-for-windows/

Run it on your Windows computer (it's not a Wii program). Run the wizard, tell it everything about the Wii that it asks. When it asks whether it's been modded or if it's a virgin, tell it it's a virgin anyways. To have it done right and not a hackjob like it seems to currently be, you need to just start from the beginning.

Otherwise, to get anywhere you need to use Trucha Bug Restorer on IOS36. (Hmm, my audio isn't going through my new home theater system D: hmm PS2 (on the same AV cables as the Wii) needs to be completely switched off. That's... new)

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What do you expect? Some gnomes that pass by overnight to do the work for you? Akari212 offers you the solution, and you simply ignore it.

1. Modding without a tutorial is a very bad idea. A lot of tools are outdated and dangerous. They can brick your wii.
2. Most modders on this Forum use Modmii as guidance and are able to give detailed help in case of troubles with it.
3. Run a syscheck on the wii. It will report you which ios have the trucha sign bug.
A good softmod tutorial installs ios 236 which is basically ios 36 with the bug for that purpose.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
although, modmii dont use IOS236 to install softmods on Wii since it has AHBPROT access. but still IOS236 wad is still there so I think just remod the system using ModMii application.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As previously stated, you will need a fake-signed IOS for this installation.
See the Ticket Error Code reference HERE.
ModMii should help you get up-n-going. See my sig for ModMii.

:D

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. IOS236 and any recent cIOS do not contain the trucha bug
2. cIOS are fake signed, but being fake signed is not the reason why they allow to install fake signed stuff.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't waiting for an overnight gnome solution, I just needed sleep before continuing, however it seems that I have the solution in spades, thanks everyone! I'm a bit skeptical though, considering I did actually use modmii originally (ocbd, I never said I didn't use a tutorial, I just said I used multiple ones, as I would run into problems with some where the solutions were in others) but I'll just go ahead and run it again with a more complex understanding of what I need.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huzzah! I've finally gotten the backup games channel, but I have a problem, when I press start, it goes blank and turns of my controller. I'm nearly positiv I've properly burned the game on a DVD-r and everything (tlozss) I'll try another game, but I'm not sure that the burn is the problem. Any suggestions? What causes a freeze up on the channel like this?

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried burning another game, Mario Kart Wii, and had the same problem. Inserted the disc, started up the backup loader channel and no dice. If this doesn't get any suggestions or help I'll mill around trying to find a solution for a day (and look for similar posts), and in the case that I don't I'll post a new thread. Thanks for your help guys! You fixed the problem I was having, I just have a new one now.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
one thing i wanto point out in the rules is you cannot double or triple post.
anyways. we we all said. forget using discs use a usb loader. use modmii to help set up the usb loade for a first time

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DVDX? - Totally outdated, not required anymore. Actually it was only required for the very 1st backup cIOS rev5.
IOS36? - Tottally outdated. What guide are you using???
Backup Launcher .3 gamma? Are you a troll? Seriously!

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry this is the first time I've modded a wii so I was totally in the dark, but I did use modmii, for basically everything. I guess I'll install the new backup game channel and post the results. I only have one usb big enough for all this jazz, but I use it on a regular basis so I don't want to have to format it (and to my understanding you have to set it to a specific format?) If all else fails I'll get the usb loader up and running and work from there.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
People use fat32 nowadays. Windows is perfectly capable of using this format. Most usb sticks are even factory fat32 formatted.
fat32 has one restriction, the maximum filesize of one file is 4 Gigabyte. Some game images and movies exceed this size.
For game images, that's not a problem as they can be spltted into smaller pieces.
Wbfs which is probably what you have in mind, is outdated as well.
Most usb loaders use wbfs files. It's the game iso file without the junk. Those are usually a lot smaller than the raw iso file.
A wbfs partition is not the same as a wbfs file. The first is outdated, the second isn't.

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is starting to really irk me. I never had problems modding systems, not even those that require mod chips, but this is ridiculous. I've checked all the most up to date guides and gotten all the files and wads they want me to install. I've formatted my usb drive, gotten the usb loader, but it won't recognize my usb drive.
I also tried a newer backup launcher and nothing seems to work. I can tell that I'm very close to being able to play one of the games I've backed up. I'll continue working on the usb loader but does anyone know of a good backup launcher that is up to date and won't give me too much trouble? dvd's are the ideal medium in my situation.
You guys have been so helpful so far, just a little bit more and I can put a [$olved] in here!

misterbreadcrum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I gave in and went out and bought the new Zelda, because I couldn't wait any longer. I don't have any drives large enough to support multiple games, and cant get my 8g to be recognized (fat32 or ntsc) so if you have suggestsions for a good dvd backup loader, I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much for all the help guys, it really was astounding how supportive this community is. Hopefully I'll see you around, probably in the noob thread :P

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You still haven't found out that you need a cIOS?

For backup launching you need a loader(NeoGamma for discs, any other recent usb loader for usb) and a cIOS(d2x v6 or 7 with base IOS56 installed as IOS249 highly recommended). The system menu, priiloader, dvdx, real IOS, all that doesn't matter when loading backups with a loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...