Hacking Newb switch owner..just a few questions about the fw

roadsurfer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just opened and setup my new switch right now. I'm on FW 2.1

1) After browsing the forum a bit, my understanding is currently I can't go online play at all without latest fw update right?

2) if I buy a switch pro controller, will it still work wirelessly on 2.1 or force an online fw update to work? In which case I won't buy right now. I've read to go wired requires 3.0+ update.

3) Does the dns in settings still work to stop update nagging? I've read 2 different numbers, a 205.166.76.187....and a different one. Still confirmed working?

I just plan on staying offline and getting 2 games for now (mk8 and zelda, both fw 1.0 I believe).

4) If I get a game thats fw 2.2 or 2.3 and insert the cartridge, will my fw be updated to that version installed from cartridge, or will it not play and require latest update from online only?

I come from old xbox 360 LT fw days so this has a bit of relation

TY :)

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simplest way to avoid updates is to not configure your wifi connection.

no internet, no firmware updates.

if a game card has a higher firmware it will install it.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just opened and setup my new switch right now. I'm on FW 2.1

1) After browsing the forum a bit, my understanding is currently I can't go online play at all without latest fw update right?

2) if I buy a switch pro controller, will it still work wirelessly on 2.1 or force an online fw update to work? In which case I won't buy right now. I've read to go wired requires 3.0+ update.

3) Does the dns in settings still work to stop update nagging? I've read 2 different numbers, a 205.166.76.187....and a different one. Still confirmed working?

I just plan on staying offline and getting 2 games for now (mk8 and zelda, both fw 1.0 I believe).

4) If I get a game thats fw 2.2 or 2.3 and insert the cartridge, will my fw be updated to that version installed from cartridge, or will it not play and require latest update from online only?

I come from old xbox 360 LT fw days so this has a bit of relation

TY :)

1. Yes
2. It'll work
3. I think they work but there's really nothing you can do online so I just don't use online
4. Every game cart includes the firmware they need, so if you have a game that needs 2.3 you'll be updated to 2.3

Reactions: roadsurfer

roadsurfer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simplest way to avoid updates is to not configure your wifi connection.

no internet, no firmware updates.

if a game card has a higher firmware it will install it.

OK thank you. Yup I skipped through my WiFi setup settings, just didnt know if buying a 2.2 or 2.3 game would require online or update via cart.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1. Yes
2. It'll work
3. I think they work but there's really nothing you can do online so I just don't use online
4. Every game cart includes the firmware they need, so if you have a game that needs 2.3 you'll be updated to 2.3

Very cool. Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended