newb looking for a little info and help

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by styrofoam, Jul 3, 2006.

Jul 3, 2006
  1. styrofoam
    OP

Newcomer styrofoam Member

Canada
    I'm looking into getting a G6 lite and a Superkey/Passcard 3, I did most of my homework but then I ran into a little problem. I'm confused about how to run the ROMs. I hope I'm not breaking the rules by asking this but if I were to download a ROM would I just be able to load it up onto the G6 and run it with no problems, if not is there a site with a compatibility list? Also which is most compatible with G6 lite, the Superkey or Passcard 3?

2. AshsToAshs

Newcomer AshsToAshs Member

United States
    Passcard 3 would be most compatible, since passcard is made by the same people that make the G6.
    As for how you load it onto the G6 and such... i believe you just throw the .NDS files on there (from what i hear there isnt .zip support, so you have to extract it first).
    But i havent gotten my G6, so im just going off what ive heard from others.
    here is a compatiblity list for different flash carts:
    http://www.nintendumps.net/dslist.html

hope that helps

-Ash-

3. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As for the passcard I believe that you will be ok with either the Passcard 3 or the Superkey, all signs point to them being essentially the same card. Qrayzie did a great comparison of all of the nopass devices here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33429 so hopefully that will cover anything that I missed. I'm with ash on just throwing the .nds files on (after formatting ofcourse). I believe that there is actually .zip support on the card, I believe that Qrayzie and killermech confirmed it here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34096 should be towards the middle/end. Hope I was of some help!

4. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    neither of you are right.

To play and NDS rom on the G6, you need to patch it with the included patching software.

[​IMG]

5. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Damn, [​IMG] does every game need to be patched using the software or only some? if it's only some then I was part right [​IMG]

6. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada

yes every game needs to be patched with the g6 patching sowftware, it isnt that hard to do so it isnt really an inconvenience.

7. styrofoam
    OP

Canada
    Wow guys thanks for all the info! This place is great, haha. Anyways I'm a little confused on the patching, is it just a piece of software that you run the rom through before loading it onto the G6 lite itself? Sorry about all these newbie questions, I'm completely new to flashcards and modding DS but GBAtemp has really helped a lot.

Thanks again.

8. illumina

Member illumina GBAtemp Regular

You use the G6 software to load the rom onto the cart. It automatically patches the rom before writing it to the cart. It's really a one-step process since you have to use the G6 software.

9. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a newb question. Can G6 Lite run SNES and Genesis rom? I assume it will require extrnal emulator software to run those roms, right?

10. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    using snesds, snezzids or picodrive, yes

11. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awesome!

Anyone know the estimated release date when G6 is released to the US retailers?

12. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Can the G6 Windows client patch the ROMs separately from loading them onto the cart? E.g. could I make a folder of pre-patched ROMs and then just drag&drop them to the cart later via USB, without needing to use the G6 software for the last stage?

13. styrofoam
    OP

Canada
    I heard the English version is coming out two weeks from now, hope that helps.