Hacking new3DS cannot load certain nds cartridges after installing cfw, TWLFix not working

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A number of games from my collection won't load on my new 3DS XL after installing CFW. The cartridge appears on the home menu but when I try to load it, the game stays on either a white or black screen. I've tried using the TWLFix method from 3ds.hacks.guide and an older method I found using cias to install the nessecary dsiware files and following that with a system update. The problem still persists. The games affected from my collection are:
  • pokemon heartgold

• pokemon platinum

• ghost trick phantom detective

• super scribblenauts

• final fantasy crystal chronicles ring of fates
In addition to this, playing other nds games leads to them freezing after about 5 minutes of playing. I haven't expereinced this issue on 3ds games.
When I play the nds games on another 3ds console, this issue doesn't occur.

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to write a step-by-step instructions in how to fix the DS(i) mode, relist the DSiWare games & restore their saves, and repair the NVRAM brick, but got lazy writing it all half way through. Halfway point was floating around step 20. So here are my cut down instructions that heaps more troubleshooting effort onto the end-user (you). Enjoy the pain.
  1. In GodMode9, go into the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/dbs directory.
  2. Press (A) on ticket.dbCopy to 0:/gm9/out.
  3. Press (A) on ticket.bakCopy to 0:/gm9/out.
  4. Press (X) on ticket.db to delete this file.
  5. Hold (R)-shoulder and press (X) on ticket.bak. Rename this to ticket.db.
    • This will restore your original ticket database.
  6. Repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer.
    • Follow all steps 1–17 in the Instructions.
    • :!: Do not skip steps, especially hardware checking the SD card.
  7. Fix the broken DS(i) mode caused by NVRAM brick.
    • Touchscreen not working 3ds, Ds titles [post #46]
    • If you go straight to this step 7 skipping the above steps 1–6 , your restored setup will be less than ideal.

I found this on another thread. Would this fix my problem or am I just going to make it worse? (I've removed the hyperlinks so I can post the quote)

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've also judt tried to access Nintendo DS Connections from my settings and it also results in a white screen, don't know if that helps

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I followed the instructions on the thread posted by TurdPooCharger on how to use CTRTransfer (Type DP). When it came to Launching the camera app to access the homebrew menu, I recieved an error after pressing the Nintendo 3DS Camera button and the 3DS crashed. I dumped the crash report and have attached it to this post.

What should I do next? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.7z
    501 bytes · Views: 221
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just checked, boot.3dsx is on the sd card
Verify that the outer cameras and inner camera are in working condition. While in HOME Menu, press the (L) + (R) shoulder buttons at the same time to open the camera applet (this is not the same thing as Nintendo 3DS Camera).

Check that both left and right outer cameras are functional by sliding the 3D switch. The '3D cube' in the upper-right corner of the top lcd should light up. Use a finger to block each side individually.

Press the Inner Cam. button to switch over to the inner camera. If the n3DS(XL?) crashes or freezes while running under camera applet, this indicates Nintendo 3DS Camera is not an appropriate system title to inject Homebrew Launcher for your situation because of the faulty cameras.

Try injecting HBL to a different system title like Download Play, Nintendo 3DS Sound, or AR Games as per the directions in that [Video Tutorial].

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tested all three cameras and they all work with no crashes or freezes. I'll try using download play to continue with the guide. And it is a n3DSXL if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Should the 3DS be giving me the warning that the SD card can't be read when I boot it up?

Last edited by Finn_MacCool,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just tested all three cameras and they all work with no crashes or freezes. I'll try using download play to continue with the guide. And it is a n3DSXL if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Should the 3DS be giving me the warning that the SD card can't be read when I boot it up?

No... That's not normal. Which one of these messages is returned?
  • launch-3ds-games-issues-updated-png.188030

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fourth one
"Cannot display the software on the microSD card. The microSD card could not be accessed"

I can still access the SD card when I plug it into my computer and when I boot gm9.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fourth one
"Cannot display the software on the microSD card. The microSD card could not be accessed"

I can still access the SD card when I plug it into my computer and when I boot gm9.
Yikes.

Yehaayyy... About that 4th error (teal). Some people have good luck resolving it but not everyone.
I'm not sure if this is fixable on your particular n3DSXL.

It could be the card you're using kinda bricked itself. Here's a tale of my Lexar 4 GB that doesn't work on certain devices.
Try using another/spare/different microSD card.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I copied the contents of the sd card off, formatted it, checked it with h2testw.exe, copied the data back on and tried again, and it worked! Big relief.

I continued with the process of fixing my n3DS but I'm struggling with the very last step. I've used the reset NVRAM image option in the CTRTransfer script, but when I try to write nvram.bin to 3DS using the 3DS nvram tool, it says "Error opening nvram.bin".

Reactions: fmkid
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I copied the contents of the sd card off, formatted it, checked it with h2testw.exe, copied the data back on and tried again, and it worked! Big relief.

I continued with the process of fixing my n3DS but I'm struggling with the very last step. I've used the reset NVRAM image option in the CTRTransfer script, but when I try to write nvram.bin to 3DS using the 3DS nvram tool, it says "Error opening nvram.bin".
When you used the script's Reset NVRAM image function, was the (START) button pressed when asked to Create a 'nvram.bin' image? .

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it was
When reflashing the NVRAM with the fixed nvram.bin image, the 3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx and nvram.bin have to be in the same folder.

Correct
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/nvram.bin
Also Correct
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/nvram.bin
Wrong
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx
  • sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool/nvram.bin
The script dumps the clean slate nvram.bin within sdmc:/3ds/3DS_NVRAMtool directory.

EDIT - AH. I see. There is a mistake in step 1 in this guide.

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I moved 3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx into the 3DS_NVRAMtool folder, and when i ran it there was no error. But when I try to play a 3DS game the screen is still black.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I moved 3DS_NVRAMtool.3dsx into the 3DS_NVRAMtool folder, and when i ran it there was no error. But when I try to play a 3DS game the screen is still black.
There's another way to wipe the NVRAM by performing a temporarily factory reset.

THIS BULLETIN IS NOT AN INSTRUCTION. DO NOT FOLLOW.
  • :!:WARNING: Avoid doing a real System Settings → ... → Format System Memory as that can and will permanently delete your user profile and everything in the Nintendo 3DS folder!

THE STEPS BELOW ARE THE REAL DIRECTIONS.

1. GodMode9[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND → hold the (R)-shoulder button and press (X) on data folder. Rename this to data2.
  • :!: Be careful. Pressing only the (X) button brings up delete option. Do not delete!
2. Press (START) to exit. The n3DSXL should now boot with the new user setup. Do not make a profile. Turn off the n3DSXL and go back to GodMode9.
3. [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND → press (X) to delete the dummy data folder. Rename data2 back to data.
4. Boot to HOME Menu and go straight to playing a DS cart game, DS flashcart, DSiWare game, or TWiLight Menu++.​

Outcome (A) If the NDS game cart(s), DS flashcart, DSiWare titles, or TWiLight Menu++ launches and plays correctly,

5A. Fill out the missing DS Profile and related info; revisit steps 6–10 of this post.

Outcome (B) If the DS(i) mode still does not work,

5B. 3DS_NVRAMtool → Press A to dump nvram.bin

After turning off the n3DSXL, ejecting the microSD card, and switching over to a computer.​

6B. Install the HxD hex editor program. Open the nvram.bin created in step 5B.​

The DS mode on your n3DSXL might not be fixable. Compare your NVRAM against this case study.

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I followed up NVRAMtool with TWLfix and a system update which let me play some nds games again and open nds connection setting, but I still have the problem of the games I listed before getting stuck on a white screen and other games freezing during play.

I read on another one of your posts that a missing/corrupted TWLFontTable.dat can lead to certain dsiware games to get stuck on a white screen. Could finding a replacement fix the problem?

My problem sounds very similar to the one in the last link, only not all games give me a white screen.

I'll try the factory reset and have a look at my nvram.bin and post a report after.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The temporary factory reset didn't fix the problrm, but looking at my NVRAM.firm, it looks the same as the example of what it should look like.

EDIT: I've checked my TWLFontTable.dat and it seems completely fine.

Last edited by Finn_MacCool,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing I can think of at this point is that your physical NDS cart games are counterfeit copies, and their AP (anti-piracy) protections are kicking in.

Try this to determine if your n3DSXL has some sort of unknown, bricked DS(i) mode.
  1. Install the homebrew app, TWiLight Menu++.
    • Instructions → 3DS → Universal Updater -or- Manual
    • This allows 2DS/3DS system to play DS games (.NDS roms) loaded from the SD card. DS flashcart not necessary!
  2. Find clean rom dumps of those games. Install 7-Zip, right mouse click .NDS file → CRC SHACRC-32.
  3. TWiLight Menu++ → (try to) play those games.

Finn_MacCool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No luck there, Twilight menu freezes after a short time and when it does keep goin long enough to try and load one of the roms it still results in a white screen.

I'm going to try another CTRTransfer Type D9 to see if anything comes of it but I'm close to just giving up on ever playing nds games on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans