New Xbox Series “FPS Boost” feature improves performance of backwards compatible games

0C0DB8BC-7678-4B7A-A5C8-5E65296F7E33.jpeg

Xbox Series X | S owners will have a new feature to play around with today, in the form of “FPS Boost”. This capability takes older generation games, in this case, Xbox One titles that ran at 30fps, and increases their performance to 60fps or even 120fps. Five select games currently support the newly launched FPS Boost: Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4, and New Super Lucky’s Tale, with the last of which being playable at 120fps. More backwards compatible games that make use of this feature will be announced soon.

This is just the beginning. We will announce and release more titles featuring FPS Boost soon, as well roll out new menu icons and system settings in an upcoming system update. Starting this Spring, you can go into the “Manage Game” section for any title, where you’ll be presented with a new “Compatibility Options” button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost (as well as Auto HDR) on or off. There will also be a new indicator informing you when a game is running with FPS Boost whenever you hit the Xbox Button on your controller. You decide how you want to play your favorite games, whether in its original form or with FPS Boost.

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's great, but if it's going to rely on developers implementing it themselves I kinda doubt a lot of games that really need it will see the update TBH, I expect publishers would rather shit out "enhanced edition!" up ports with those same fixes that they can charge for to make a quick profit than anything else.

Still, will be interesting to see how many games will actually take advantage of this.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
That's great, but if it's going to rely on developers implementing it themselves I kinda doubt a lot of games that really need it will see the update TBH, I expect publishers would rather shit out "enhanced edition!" up ports with those same fixes that they can charge for to make a quick profit than anything else.

Still, will be interesting to see how many games will actually take advantage of this.
“With certain titles, we can make the experience even better, all with no work required by the developer, and no update needed by the gamer.”

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just looked into about 5 videos regarding this. Very awesome development.
No Dev work needed, no update needed from enduser.
Going to be an option you can toggle for 'select' titles. As is going to be Auto HDR (which you can not toggle on / off as far as I know)

Hope they make it more widespread over the year.
Hope they take care of the Assassin's Creed titles when it comes to FPS Boost but ... for now very content with this 'tech demo'.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
“With certain titles, we can make the experience even better, all with no work required by the developer, and no update needed by the gamer.”
"Certain titles" doesn't have a number tied to it, does it? For all we know, that's a handful of games with the possibility of obscure titles no one plays anymore.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

bruh what you talking abt? series s/x sold 2.8 mil (ps5 is 4.2) which is pretty damn good.
That's counting the huuuuge amount of scalped consoles still waiting for their permanent home.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Glad I bought a series x, it feels like the early days of ps4 for me now. Xbox one actually had better exclusives near launch, but I knew sony had a bunch of studios making great games and they were giving gamers more of what they wanted feature wise. Xbox one under performing is great news for the series x, just like ps3 having a rough go at the start of its generation was great for customers later on.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PS Now bois, we need to quickly find a way to make this seem stupid so we can look like the better game streaming service. Any ideas?
PlayStation had an "FPS Boost" since the PS4 Pro in the form of Boost Mode, which is enabled by default on the 5. As long as the game doesn't have a hard-coded FPS cap, it will chug as fast as the console can render. Thing is, Xbox also has BC stretching all the way back to the OG Xbox whereas Sony is only interested in the PS4 library in terms of BC, and those games are supported natively. Then again, there are some select PS2 classics that work, so I suppose those could get a bit of a tune-up.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PlayStation had an "FPS Boost" since the PS4 Pro in the form of Boost Mode, which is enabled by default on the 5. As long as the game doesn't have a hard-coded FPS cap, it will chug as fast as the console can render. Thing is, Xbox also has a BC factory stretching all the way back to the OG Xbox whereas Sony is only interested in the PS4 library in terms of BC, and those games are supported natively.
Thats a bit misleading, ps4 pro just ran at the same speeds as a regular ps4 unless you turned boost mode on. Typically bc isnt done this way, but sony was worried a few games wouldnt work right ( I think a handful dont run correctly with boost mode enabled). On the xbox one x games that didnt have patches for the new system didnt force any downclocking, it just ran as well as the hardware could handle. Microsoft basically just killed the "remaster" that is really just running on a emulator or is the same code with different config settings. Im glad sony is doing it for at least ps4 games on the ps5 as well.

Last edited by kevin corms,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum