New Xbox Series “FPS Boost” feature improves performance of backwards compatible games

0C0DB8BC-7678-4B7A-A5C8-5E65296F7E33.jpeg

Xbox Series X | S owners will have a new feature to play around with today, in the form of “FPS Boost”. This capability takes older generation games, in this case, Xbox One titles that ran at 30fps, and increases their performance to 60fps or even 120fps. Five select games currently support the newly launched FPS Boost: Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs 2, Sniper Elite 4, UFC 4, and New Super Lucky’s Tale, with the last of which being playable at 120fps. More backwards compatible games that make use of this feature will be announced soon.

This is just the beginning. We will announce and release more titles featuring FPS Boost soon, as well roll out new menu icons and system settings in an upcoming system update. Starting this Spring, you can go into the “Manage Game” section for any title, where you’ll be presented with a new “Compatibility Options” button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost (as well as Auto HDR) on or off. There will also be a new indicator informing you when a game is running with FPS Boost whenever you hit the Xbox Button on your controller. You decide how you want to play your favorite games, whether in its original form or with FPS Boost.

:arrow: Source

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's actually really neet. I guess they'll just check if said games can run properly at 60 or 120 fps then allow the boost. I don't plan on buying either of those consoles but hey, it's still cool to see more functionnalities like that coming.
Now Microsoft just put a damn gyroscope into your controller and push the use of it in your games, it's for the better of the whole industry.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just looked into about 5 videos regarding this. Very awesome development.
No Dev work needed, no update needed from enduser.
Going to be an option you can toggle for 'select' titles. As is going to be Auto HDR (which you can not toggle on / off as far as I know)

Hope they make it more widespread over the year.
Hope they take care of the Assassin's Creed titles when it comes to FPS Boost but ... for now very content with this 'tech demo'.
I'm pretty sure they said the games that use this feature would require an update from their end.
Also, Auto-HDR can be toggled on and off in settings on Series S/X.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This feature is really nuts. I hope this will be applied to most if not all B/C games, including 360 and Xbox titles. The FF13 trilogy is already amazing on the Xbox One X / Series X. An improved framerate would be absolutely slapping.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
That is true (and did mean increased framerates also - something that's carried over to Series S/X too, but only if & when the fps dropped below what it should be) - this one can override the fps cap previously set[...]
Now I got the difference. And this increase actually matter a lot because since the dawn of 3D games, consoles aimed 30 FPS (on 60hz regions) for the vast majority of 3D games. Xbox brand was born during this period, so most of their heritage is "contaminated" with the 30FPS target. So basically they're giving people a high end emulator experience, with no effort on user side. (there are a lot of emulator enthusiast like me on this community, so I think you got my point).

Wait till you see Nintendo release something similar. Nintendo Switch Oppai Dragon Boost boost boost boostooo
It is kinda possible already on switch, thanks to the magic of homebrew software. You can play games with the so called boost mode enabled all the time on modded units, while stock units use this mode only on a handful of games in specific situations.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now I got the difference. And this increase actually matter a lot because since the dawn of 3D games, consoles aimed 30 FPS (on 60hz regions) for the vast majority of 3D games. Xbox brand was born during this period, so most of their heritage is "contaminated" with the 30FPS target. So basically they're giving people a high end emulator experience, with no effort on user side. (there are a lot of emulator enthusiast like me on this community, so I think you got my point).

It is kinda possible already on switch, thanks to the magic of homebrew software. You can play games with the so called boost mode enabled all the time on modded units, while stock units use this mode only on a handful of games in specific situations.
n64 was often only 20 fps, which I found unplayable. Still never played ocarina of time, but I might give it a go on 3ds.

D

Deleted User

I don't know the real stats, but I've experienced better performance with less frame drops on Saints Row and Saints Row 2 on the Xbox One.
So...
they made far cry 3 blood dragon have a 30fps cap in the backwards compatability version, while it has an unlocked framerate on the 360

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
they made far cry 3 blood dragon have a 30fps cap in the backwards compatability version, while it has an unlocked framerate on the 360
That's interesting.
Yeah, I know that most of the games were capped to 60FPS or 30FPS and it didn't have much difference, but some really improve it's performance as unoptimized launch and early titles, while others were harmed.
It's pretty hit or miss to be honest, but in some games it really made a difference.

D

Deleted User

That's interesting.
Yeah, I know that most of the games were capped to 60FPS or 30FPS and it didn't have much difference, but some really improve it's performance as unoptimized launch and early titles, while others were harmed.
It's pretty hit or miss to be honest, but in some games it really made a difference.
would've been better if they made all BC games have a 60fps cap rather than swap between 30 and 60 per-game, but they decided to make that an xbox one x feature and still only for SOME games

Reactions: E1ite007

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm pretty sure they said the games that use this feature would require an update from their end.
Also, Auto-HDR can be toggled on and off in settings on Series S/X.

Pretty sure they do not ;)
Please check coverage by Xbox On on the matter.

Auto HDR now is a global yes no option. Thats true. But this will be on a game by game basis ... so the end user can decide If they want the OG experience when it comes to both Auto HDR and FPS Boost. Very pro user of them actually.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Auto HDR now is a global yes no option. Thats true. But this will be on a game by game basis ... so the end user can decide If they want the OG experience when it comes to both Auto HDR and FPS Boost. Very pro user of them actually.
From THEIR end, meaning they are updating the DirectX profile...this will likely not even be noticeable by the end user. Sorry, I could've worded that better.
The per game toggle option for FPS and Auto-HDR will be in a spring dashboard update.
But yeah, Team Xbox is slaying it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

would've been better if they made all BC games have a 60fps cap rather than swap between 30 and 60 per-game, but they decided to make that an xbox one x feature and still only for SOME games
A lot of games timing and physics are tied to FPS, so that's not a plausable or reasonable request. And as far as them making it a One X feature....it's almost as if its a much more powerful system, lol.

Last edited by coffinbirth,
Reactions: PatrickD85

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just tried out New Super Lucky's Tale and Far Cry 4 and I can say that the end user will DEFINATELY notice the Direct X updates to these games because they don't apply themselves upon booting the game. I thought maybe the feature wasn't live yet for the public, but each of these games wouldn't apply the profile change until I fully shutdown and restarted my Series X. Surely this will be rectified once the new dash rolls out, but as it stands a simple update would actually be preferable.

D

Deleted User

A lot of games timing and physics are tied to FPS, so that's not a plausable or reasonable request. And as far as them making it a One X feature....it's almost as if its a much more powerful system, lol.

also a large number of games are also ports that are also on pc, which run fine at 60fps, so i don't see why there wouldn't be a reason to lift that framerate

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also a large number of games are also ports that are also on pc, which run fine at 60fps, so i don't see why there wouldn't be a reason to lift that framerate
Blood Dragon, and Far Cry games in general, are poorly optimized. Blood Dragon never really hit 30FPS consistently on 360, so having it locked at 30 on XBO was an improvement. I seem to recall having to fiddle with things on pc to remove the 30FPS cap...yeah, out of the box it was capped at 30 on pc. Nearly, if not all, Ubisoft BC games are capped at 30FPS on consoles, patched or otherwise. Not really relevant to my point though, as it's entirely possible that vanilla XBO probably can't emulate it any higher than that anyways. It never received any One X enhancement patch.

Most older games didn't receive any sort of One X enhancement patch AT ALL...which would be on the developers of those games, not Microsoft. The incentive to go back to 10+ year old games and patch them was obviously pretty low.

D

Deleted User

Blood Dragon, and Far Cry games in general, are poorly optimized. Blood Dragon never really hit 30FPS consistently on 360, so having it locked at 30 on XBO was an improvement. I seem to recall having to fiddle with things on pc to remove the 30FPS cap...yeah, out of the box it was capped at 30 on pc. Nearly, if not all, Ubisoft BC games are capped at 30FPS on consoles, patched or otherwise. Not really relevant to my point though, as it's entirely possible that vanilla XBO probably can't emulate it any higher than that anyways. It never received any One X enhancement patch.

Most older games didn't receive any sort of One X enhancement patch AT ALL...which would be on the developers of those games, not Microsoft. The incentive to go back to 10+ year old games and patch them was obviously pretty low.
??? it was never capped to 30 for me, it was always vsynced to 60fps and ran perfectly fine even at 144fps. if anything it runs better than the actual far cry 3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)