New Xbox 360 Goes Back to the X-Clamp

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rock Raiyu, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010
  1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    [​IMG]

Thinking about buying that brand new shiny Xbox? You might want to hold up on that or reconsider.

News Source: Maxconsole

2. Arwen20

Member Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is disappointing news. I was planning on trading in my old xbox for a new one tomorrow. Now I don't know what I am going to do.

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Well it still won't get RRoD. BECAUSE THERE ARE NO RED LIGHTS. [​IMG]

4. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's not like the x-clamps were the only cause of RROD with the old 360's. Plus, it's using smaller, more efficient chips. They also added vent holes where the cpu/gpu will be.

5. Arwen20

Member Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You're right. I really want one and my xbox 2+ years old. I am going to trade anyway. I will buy the extended warranty just to be safe. By the way, does anyone know is the problem with a free floating disk drive?

6. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I saw a video of a guy moving the new 360 while it was playing. Huge rattling sound and the disc was ruined. The Microsoft representative told him not to move it while its playing

7. Potticus

Member Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You bump your 360 and its more likely to scratch the disk?
    That's the only thing I can figure.

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    That shouldn't be limited to just 360s. Moving any system with moving parts while its powered on is just silly most of the time...

9. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I'm set with arcade for $100. No need for overpriced hardware. System is worth $100 and hard drive is worth $100 tops and that is pushing it. $299 I don't think so.

10. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Well, briliant way to get rid of the RROD Micro$oft.

Let's just remove the red LEDs.

Perfect, impeccable logic.

11. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS! oh sorry I couldn't help my self.
    On topic... .... 'this fails dude'

12. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Bah, I just bought the old Xbox360 a few weeks ago. I got an elite with 20% off so I saved like 80 bucks at least. (including taxes in the price)
    I don't think these problems are all that bad really. Manageable at the least.
    Though I really wish it was easier to get WiFi for the old models and here they make one with it finally, go figure. I wonder if they'll have an upgrade deal sometime, preferably with the Kinect too. They aren't gonna win a lot of points with that too soon so maybe they'll have discounts next year.
    Or just as good, make the WiFi cards dirt cheap. Stinking expensive they are.

I guess I'm good with my current box, easier to fix and hopefully hackable in the future. I just want a custom menu and homebrew really.
    Though built in Wifi and built in Kinect support might be nice. Really hoping for a good upgrade deal.
    Guess I shoulda been more patient, discount was nice though.
    oh and my box didn't include an HDMI cable or even RGB. Just a crappy SD cable. :/
    Though I wonder how many mem card slots and USB ports this new model has, something tells me something else was taken out like a second mem card slot or something.

13. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    christ, xclamps doesnt mean bad. the jaspers use xclamps, rrod had reduced dramatically compared to older motherboard revisions that also used xclamps.

14. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You probably haven't seen this.

Also, I've moved my 360 across a room with no problems. So that problem is limited to the new Xbox.

15. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm surprised no one mentioned that while yes the new 360 can't red ring it still have a center LED then when the system fails for some reason with light up red.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    now it will get green death instead [​IMG]

17. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    No, Ed is right. Moving a system with moving parts in it while powered on is incredibly risky and stupid. Harddrives can usually stand the brunt but shifting a console while the disc is spinning means that disc is likely to scratch against the inside of the drive. Fair enough sometimes it won't scratch but that doesn't make it any less dumb. What are you doing moving your 360 while it's on anyway?

18. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    It's not like X-Clamps were the main culprit.

They shouldn't have used crappy solder for BGA. That's the problem.

The chipset shrinking (with relative less consumption and less heat generated) mostly resolved the problem on the Jaspers, so I presume the same will go for this one.

Also unifying CPU and GPU on the same die and placing them on a side should resolve most of the flexing problem.

19. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    It is far from limited to the new xbox. "new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems" in the url you pasted shows that. The 360 is (in)famous for scratching discs.

People here seem to be missing the fact that with (fuc)kinect you'll be dancing and jumping around. Consoles on shelving racks will naturally move a little. MS failing to have a dampener put in the drive (something virtually every over optical drive has had since the early 90s) is just shitty business. But hey, they get $20 for each replacement disc they supply you with.

20. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No, really, it is silly to move any system with moving parts while powered on. You wouldn't move your microwave while it's cooking something would you? And I don't know of the foam dampeners you speak of(but I'm sure they're used) but the Wii and PS3 just use a better way of locking the discs in place, which I guess the 360 doesn't do at all. Laptop drives also have better ways of holding the discs(which some may or may not use these foam dampeners).

And your gaming system should never be naturally moving ever. Why should it be? You should be using Kinect a reasonable place, not one where you'll be knocking things over or nudging shelves. And if you're moving shelves or the system with just the vibrations of you fake running and hopping, well then I don't know what to say. Put your system on something more stable?