Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xlamo360.jpg

Thinking about buying that brand new shiny Xbox? You might want to hold up on that or reconsider.

QUOTE said:
Thought that the 360's hardware problems were over? Perhaps not. A modder has revealed that his brand new Xbox 360 features the same old X clamp on the chipset. This X clamp was widely associated with the RRoD previously and it will have many people fearing for the reliability of the new device. But that's not all, there also more disadvantages too.

Amongst this, Solomods has also pointed out many other potential downsides of the new box including:

* It will gather finger prints easily
* No more faceplate fun
* Free floating disk drive
* No HDMI cables included and no migration kit

News Source: Maxconsole

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is disappointing news. I was planning on trading in my old xbox for a new one tomorrow. Now I don't know what I am going to do.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arwen20 said:
This is disappointing news. I was planning on trading in my old xbox for a new one tomorrow. Now I don't know what I am going to do.
It's not like the x-clamps were the only cause of RROD with the old 360's. Plus, it's using smaller, more efficient chips. They also added vent holes where the cpu/gpu will be.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seraph said:
Arwen20 said:
It's not like the x-clamps were the only cause of RROD with the old 360's. Plus, it's using smaller, more efficient chips. They also added vent holes where the cpu/gpu will be.

You're right. I really want one and my xbox 2+ years old. I am going to trade anyway. I will buy the extended warranty just to be safe. By the way, does anyone know is the problem with a free floating disk drive?

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arwen20 said:
Seraph said:
Arwen20 said:

You're right. I really want one and my xbox 2+ years old. I am going to trade anyway. I will buy the extended warranty just to be safe. By the way, does anyone know is the problem with a free floating disk drive?

You bump your 360 and its more likely to scratch the disk?
That's the only thing I can figure.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
EnigmaXtreme said:
I saw a video of a guy moving the new 360 while it was playing. Huge rattling sound and the disc was ruined. The Microsoft representative told him not to move it while its playing

That shouldn't be limited to just 360s. Moving any system with moving parts while its powered on is just silly most of the time...

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm set with arcade for $100. No need for overpriced hardware. System is worth $100 and hard drive is worth $100 tops and that is pushing it. $299 I don't think so.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, I just bought the old Xbox360 a few weeks ago. I got an elite with 20% off so I saved like 80 bucks at least. (including taxes in the price)
I don't think these problems are all that bad really. Manageable at the least.
Though I really wish it was easier to get WiFi for the old models and here they make one with it finally, go figure. I wonder if they'll have an upgrade deal sometime, preferably with the Kinect too. They aren't gonna win a lot of points with that too soon so maybe they'll have discounts next year.
Or just as good, make the WiFi cards dirt cheap. Stinking expensive they are.

I guess I'm good with my current box, easier to fix and hopefully hackable in the future. I just want a custom menu and homebrew really.
Though built in Wifi and built in Kinect support might be nice. Really hoping for a good upgrade deal.
Guess I shoulda been more patient, discount was nice though.
oh and my box didn't include an HDMI cable or even RGB. Just a crappy SD cable. :/
Though I wonder how many mem card slots and USB ports this new model has, something tells me something else was taken out like a second mem card slot or something.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
christ, xclamps doesnt mean bad. the jaspers use xclamps, rrod had reduced dramatically compared to older motherboard revisions that also used xclamps.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
EnigmaXtreme said:
I saw a video of a guy moving the new 360 while it was playing. Huge rattling sound and the disc was ruined. The Microsoft representative told him not to move it while its playing

That shouldn't be limited to just 360s. Moving any system with moving parts while its powered on is just silly most of the time...
You probably haven't seen this.

Also, I've moved my 360 across a room with no problems. So that problem is limited to the new Xbox.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
YayMii said:
Edhel said:
EnigmaXtreme said:

You probably haven't seen this.

Also, I've moved my 360 across a room with no problems. So that problem is limited to the new Xbox.
No, Ed is right. Moving a system with moving parts in it while powered on is incredibly risky and stupid. Harddrives can usually stand the brunt but shifting a console while the disc is spinning means that disc is likely to scratch against the inside of the drive. Fair enough sometimes it won't scratch but that doesn't make it any less dumb. What are you doing moving your 360 while it's on anyway?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's not like X-Clamps were the main culprit.

They shouldn't have used crappy solder for BGA. That's the problem.

The chipset shrinking (with relative less consumption and less heat generated) mostly resolved the problem on the Jaspers, so I presume the same will go for this one.

Also unifying CPU and GPU on the same die and placing them on a side should resolve most of the flexing problem.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
Edhel said:
Not really, most hardware with optical drives in use foam dampeners to prevent the disc getting scratched off. MS left it off the original xbox360 for the sake of saving 5pence, and even after all the complaints they have left it off the new model.

YayMiiAlso, I've moved my 360 across a room with no problems. So that problem is limited to the new Xbox.
It is far from limited to the new xbox. "new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems" in the url you pasted shows that. The 360 is (in)famous for scratching discs.

People here seem to be missing the fact that with (fuc)kinect you'll be dancing and jumping around. Consoles on shelving racks will naturally move a little. MS failing to have a dampener put in the drive (something virtually every over optical drive has had since the early 90s) is just shitty business. But hey, they get $20 for each replacement disc they supply you with.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
Edhel said:
Not really, most hardware with optical drives in use foam dampeners to prevent the disc getting scratched off. MS left it off the original xbox360 for the sake of saving 5pence, and even after all the complaints they have left it off the new model.

YayMiiAlso, I've moved my 360 across a room with no problems. So that problem is limited to the new Xbox.
It is far from limited to the new xbox. "new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems" in the url you pasted shows that. The 360 is (in)famous for scratching discs.

People here seem to be missing the fact that with (fuc)kinect you'll be dancing and jumping around. Consoles on shelving racks will naturally move a little. MS failing to have a dampener put in the drive (something virtually every over optical drive has had since the early 90s) is just shitty business. But hey, they get $20 for each replacement disc they supply you with.
No, really, it is silly to move any system with moving parts while powered on. You wouldn't move your microwave while it's cooking something would you? And I don't know of the foam dampeners you speak of(but I'm sure they're used) but the Wii and PS3 just use a better way of locking the discs in place, which I guess the 360 doesn't do at all. Laptop drives also have better ways of holding the discs(which some may or may not use these foam dampeners).

And your gaming system should never be naturally moving ever. Why should it be? You should be using Kinect a reasonable place, not one where you'll be knocking things over or nudging shelves. And if you're moving shelves or the system with just the vibrations of you fake running and hopping, well then I don't know what to say. Put your system on something more stable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong