New working Laptop, but was claimed broken.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by lucasade, Aug 2, 2011.

Aug 2, 2011
  1. lucasade
    OP

Member lucasade m1cr0man

Ireland
    Hi all. [​IMG]

I recently recieved a laptop from someone who claimed it was dead. However, it was not. For all those who want to look it up...its an Acer Aspire 6920G. The specs:
    -Core 2 Duo 2ghz
    -Nvidia Geforce 9500m gs (512mb)
    -3gb of ram.
    -Runs Team Fortress 2 at medium settings perfect.

My current laptop is a sony vaio vgn-nw24s. Its shit comparing to the Acer...
    -Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.1ghz
    -Intel Mobility express series 4 (WHY was this made?! [​IMG])
    -3gb of ram.
    -Windows 7 x64 home premium
    -500gb @ 5400rpm

Here is the problem. The Acer is missing screen hinge plastic covers, and cpu plastic cover. All of which I will need to buy. That isn't really the problem, it is why someone would strip a perfectly good laptop. I have stressed it out with TF2 for 3 days now, no faults.
    I also want to put windows 7 and hard drive from old laptop into this. So here are the main questions:

1. Should I trust the acer not to fail next week?
    2. Should I make the switch?

I need as much input as possible, so please reply soon.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    What was "wrong" with it according to the person?

3. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Most laptops are dependent on every part (except some optional peripherals), if something was wrong; it would either not turn on or something obvious would be seen (like heat sink fan is broken).

4. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    I would say it depends what was 'wrong' with it, i've been given laptops in the past that although "broken" were easy fixes (e.g failing hdd) or had simple software issues. On the other hand i've had broken screens (obvious issue) and laptops where it's taken me upto a week to replicate an occasional issue (cold solder joints on a graphics chip, which caused very occasional graphics failure)

5. lucasade
    OP

Member lucasade m1cr0man

Ireland
    As far as I can tell, NOTHING is wrong with the laptop [​IMG] Their charger may have died, and presumed the laptop dead. I have a new charger, and the laptop is perfect.

6. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    Lucky....I wish someone would give me a broken Laptop that really wasnt broken.

Not that I need another one anyway, I've got my new Acer Aspire 7551-7422, and my old Macbook (Which the Acer literally drops a train on in terms of capabilities)

The specs are nice too, 2GHZ, Dual Core, 3GB RAM. I'm not crazy about the NVidia Card, not in terms of it's capabilities, but because I'm a Linux user and having to use their Drivers from what I have heard is more of a pain in the butt than having to use the ATI propriatary drivers. Of course, you can ignore this because I'm a Linux user, and you'd only need to worry if you too were using Linux.

I'd still run a Memtest86+ Live CD (Most Linux Live CD's and Live Utility Disks will come with this), and see if the RAM is ok. I'd also keep an eye on it, if it suddenly shuts off or the fan stops working, discontinue using it immediately and research how to fix it.

Course if it works for a significant amount of time (A few weeks), then I'd assume with a 70% Positive ratio to 30% Negative ratio that everything is ok.

The three easiest things to fix will be

• Hard Drive (Buy a New one) - You'll know if it's failing if it makes horrific clicking noises (I've heard it before, and as a computer-adept person, it makes my stomache churn and twist.
    • RAM (Buy new RAM)
    • Charging Cable (Buy a new one)

Other than that, It's not half bad for a Laptop someone thought was broken. Nice find. *Insert envious glare here*

7. lucasade
    OP

Member lucasade m1cr0man

Ireland
    Ok, thanks [​IMG] I am going to be using the ram from my old laptop anyway (its faster, plus it actually has the 3gb, not the acer), and it definately works. Plus, I ran microscope on the acer, and just about every test that was in it. All passed [​IMG]

As for hard drive...would you use a drive that horribly clicks when going off and sometimes when it idles? My 500gb one is doing that [​IMG]