Timic83

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-...k-compatibility

frown.gif
this can't be good, hope its uk exclusive and us aussie/americans don't have to put up with it (no offense uk
tongue.gif
)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What the F*** is this?
wtf.gif

There is no point whatsoever to do this in the first place. On the contrary: by keeping the wii to support the gamecube (LIKE IT HAS DONE FOR YEARS), people may still have a reason to buy one once the wiiU hits the shelves. But this...?

Who the hell is even going to buy this in the first place? They'll have competition from strictly better machines on eBay on day one. And I doubt anyone's going to spend more money on it than on a paperweight once the wiiu hits the shelves (at which point more than a few will put their wii's on pawning sites).

No...I'm usually siding with nintendo on marketing choices, but this is plain retarded. Do they want to lose market share or something?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
What the F*** is this?
wtf.gif

There is no point whatsoever to do this in the first place. On the contrary: by keeping the wii to support the gamecube (LIKE IT HAS DONE FOR YEARS), people may still have a reason to buy one once the wiiU hits the shelves. But this...?

Who the hell is even going to buy this in the first place? They'll have competition from strictly better machines on eBay on day one. And I doubt anyone's going to spend more money on it than on a paperweight once the wiiu hits the shelves (at which point more than a few will put their wii's on pawning sites).

No...I'm usually siding with nintendo on marketing choices, but this is plain retarded. Do they want to lose market share or something?
A lot of people will buy it. as I have said before, many people don't even play GC games on their Wii, plus Gamecubes are very cheap so getting one would be no problem, because of this, Nintendo can save money by not adding it anymore and get little backlash from it's fans.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(a note: I haven't been very active lately...this is really the only thread I know about it. My apologies if I'm repeating things others have said elsewhere)

The thing is that wii's are already one of the cheapest gaming consoles on the market. That's probably the main reason it sells. It sells first hand, that is (everything is cheaper second hand).
However, by removing the gamecube support, it means that you can pick up a cheaper and more functional console.

That by itself makes it just "risky management" (advertise the price right and you might make some profit). But the fact that the wiiu is announced is a major influence. Who is going to buy a wii now? It'll be outdated in a year. And why? The answer would have been gamecube support...but as it is, the answer is, at best, "erm...I was drunk".

*sarcasm*
Or perhaps nintendo bought Dios Mios Lite (for further development), and there will soon be gamecube VC.
rolleyes.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I think that you can trust nintendo marketing dpt on that one (I'm always surprised how many marketing experts we have on video games forums lol), if they are removing backward compatibility, it's obviously to reduce production cost and to simplify their product line and they probably outweighed pros & cons with more input data than we could ever had.

I don't get what the big deal is anyway, you can still buy old Gamecube or Wii if you really want it, and I 'm no expert but I bet that people buying new Wiis don't do it for gamecube backward compatibility. The WiiU is not out yet and they need a cheaper Wii to still make some good money !

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
wiis nearing it's end anyway after zelda, last story, kirby and pandoras tower that's it it's finished and Wu will be out and peeps will buy that instead. so let them go ahead and release this tard version
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
wiis nearing it's end anyway after zelda, last story, kirby and pandoras tower that's it it's finished and Wu will be out and peeps will buy that instead. so let them go ahead and release this tard version
tongue.gif
You're forgetting Kirby Wii and Fortune Street, and for the Non-Gamer Mario and Sonic, Mario Party 9, and Just Dance 3 (To all of which I shudder).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i said kirby and fortune street looks pretty lame and mario party sick and tired of it the rest is pretty much SW which is what the wii is gonna get chocked to death with from here on
laugh.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
i said kirby and fortune street looks pretty lame and mario party sick and tired of it the rest is pretty much SW which is what the wii is gonna get chocked to death with from here on
laugh.gif
Still, Fortune Street or Itadaki Street is HUGE in Japan. Take the popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan and cut 2/5 off of it and you've got Itadaki/Fortune Street.

cloudskipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This Wii package is NOT aimed at it's core fans, but even if it were let's bear in mind that B/C may of been an important feature 5 years ago when the machine launched with very few great titles of it's own, but these days the Wii has a library that can stand on it's own two feet and has FAR surpassed that of the Game Cube in terms of quality imho. I would think in all honesty, the GC B/C these days is only used by the more hardcore Wii gamers (like us guys here lol). Also, good luck with finding GC games in a high street shop in 2012, these are reasons why it's been dropped and it makes sense.

The Wii has amazingly good reliability too so the old models will still be around and cheap to buy for many years to come.

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
They have only done this so that when the Wii U comes out they can charge people to buy online Gamecube games. I really dont see the point in remaking a consoles when with in a year you will have a new console.

Nintendo are throwing money away and its money in this day and age no one can afford to burn.

Whats next though Xbox 360 dumping classic xbox ???

All 3 major company's should be ashamed of themselves on this gen of consoles. I mean charging for DLC even though its on the disc you just bought. paying for online services even though you bought the game and console and taking away certain features from the console because they want too.

Its killed the console market on this gen and i cant see it ever being as good. I think its time for a console crash like it did in the 80's and start from scratch again.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see the big commotion; They're getting rid of GC compatibility because the GC is almost 10 years old now. You have to let go of things after a certain point.

Anything that lets a company make money is a good thing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gamecube is probably like $20 nowadays. Want to play Gamecube games? Buy a separate Gamecube or an older Wii.

My only issue is the lack of GC controller support, which was pretty good in a few games. I guess you can use the Classic controller for some of them instead but I don't feel like buying more of those when I already have like 3-4 GC controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.