Hacking New wii, or not anymore ?

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last month i picked up a wii for the family, and i must say its a pretty fun console. After reading about its homebrew abilities, i decided i wanted to find a secondhand wii were bootmii could be installed as boot2 and i would use that for homebrew, emulators etc... ( I`m still new on the wii scene, so i value brick protection high )

Well today is a special day it seems, with the new nintendo update and all...

What i gather from the update is that it actually updates the boot2 on consoles who have a vulnerable boot2 making the sought after brick protection useless.
is this correct ?

Whats your toughts on it, should i invest in a "secondhand" wii now, or wait it out a bit ?

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The way i read it, is that all wii`s who were able to use bootmii as boot 2, if you update the wii with 4.2 the vulnerability in boot 2 will be patched and it becomes the same as the LU64+ wii`s with no way to go back.

I`m thinking down the line we proberly will need to update, and if bootmii as boot 2 will be gone because the vulnerable boot2 becomes patched, then i might as well just stick with the 1 wii we have and see what the coders figure out on how we can backup and restore the NAND with minimal risk in the future.

If the PSP and 360 scene is anything to go by, Nintendo will implement a way for the new games that are released to only work on current firmware, and proberly screw homebrew users as well in the process.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

If you update a Wii with vulnerable boot1(that's the one that matters!), BootMii as boot2 gets unistalled. But it should be possible to reinstall it again, maybe with the current hackmii installer already, if not with an updated one. And the LU64+ issues are related to the hardware and not the boot2 version.

Anyways, you do no get any issues if you just do not update to 4.2. And new Wiis will have 4.0 on them for some time now.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tj_cool said:
Yes it overwrites boot2 making it impossible to install bootmii

But a refurbished wii shouldn't have these problems if its old enough and if you don't update

Well the bug is in boot1 and not boot2 so you can reinstall it

PS: I hate it when people spread such wrong informations.

Rise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah okay...

So all in all, a wii thats made before september 2008 (able to install bootmii as boot2) will still be more valueable/desirable for someone interested in brick protection/ playing with the system files even after this update ?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol