Hacking New Wii is bricked, need help urgently.

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay. I have followed every guide on here, every variation of the same basic steps, using every single recommended program in every single recommended way. I have followed instructions to the letter. And it has bricked my Wii.

My Wii is a LU64+ model. It has System Menu 4.2E. Here are the steps I have taken (the Wii arrived new today,and was virgin to begin with):

- I began following the Complete Softmod Guide, as suggested by everyone on these forums. Bannerbomb, and installing the Homebrew Channel, went without fail. I didn't install BootMii, my only option was as an IOS anyway.

- I moved on to restoring the Trucha Bug. I downloaded the IOS variations specified (257, 523, 3351). However, the link to Dop-IOS on that page now leads to v11.4, not 11.2 as specified in the guide. So I unknowingly downloaded v11.4 instead. This would not run on my Wii; Attempting to load it led to a permanent black screen.

- I searched around and found the Trucha Bug Restorer. I began following the guide for that. Using the Restorer, I successfully downgraded IOS15, patched IOS36, and then restored IOS15.

- I then put a USB Loader (Configurable USB Loader) on my SD card and hooked up a WBFS harddrive with a Wii ISO on it. The loader hung at the splash screen. Back to the internet I went.

- I read that I still needed to remove Stub IOSs before I could play backups. So I downloaded Dop-IOS v11.2 (the one the Complete Softmod Guide suggests, but does not actually link to), and tried this version instead: And it worked. So I removed Stub IOSs and installed v6687 of the System Menu as specified at the bottom of the guide (however I should note that at no point did I see the "classic" Dop menu, with the blue title bar, as the guide says I should). I did not perform the IOS15 downgrading or the IOS36 patching through Dop, as I had already done that with TBR.

- The USB Loader would still not work.

- I then read this guide on these forums. I went down to "Installing PreLoader and new cIOS". I downloaded cIOS38r14-Installer and Preloader. I then installed Preloader.

- This is where things go wrong. After installing PreLoader, I get taken to the Preloader screen, with the option to load the System Menu, or the Homebrew Channel, etc. I clicked Homebrew Channel and was given the error message "Error autobooting HBC. maybe title not installed?". Then I clicked Systemmenu. The Wii tries to load, then gives the error message "The system files are corrupted. Please refer to the Wii operations manual for help troubleshooting." At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it says, since the lettering is fairly garbled.

So that's where I'm at. Can't get to System Menu, can't get to HBC. Aside from not backing up a NAND, I don't see where I've gone wrong or any steps that I've missed. I haven't followed any guides that don't explicitly say that they work on LU64+ Wiis. I've followed the 4.2 version guides every time a difference is specified. And yet here I am, bricked.

If someone could please help me out here, that would be greatly appreciated. I still have access to PreLoader, so I still have hope (even though it seems to be PreLoader that fucked it up somehow). I will follow any advice like gospel.

HellRaz0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you install the HBC? if not, download the hackmii installer and put it on the root of the sd card. also put a copy of dop-ios on the root of the sd card. they dont need to be named boot.dol/elf. use preloader and go to load/install file, and hit 1 to load the program. Start there

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the quick responses.

bulldog7114 said:
Hi There you need to go into preloader and change in system settings iso 60 to 70 thats what 4.2 works on

Just had a look, went into System and the IOS is already set to 70.

QUOTE(HellRaz0r @ Feb 1 2010, 09:21 AM) did you install the HBC? if not, download the hackmii installer and put it on the root of the sd card. also put a copy of dop-ios on the root of the sd card. they dont need to be named boot.dol/elf. use preloader and go to load/install file, and hit 1 to load the program. Start there

Yes, I did install HBC, but Preloader can't load it.

If you don't mind, what exactly would I do after putting hackmii and Dop on my SD? I really think I need clear instructions on this, since it was chasing my tail through various guides that got me in this position in the first place.

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, cool, I can do that. But what's my goal when I've got them loaded? How do I access them (can't get to HBC remember, not sure if that matters: can I load them straight from PreLoader?)? I take it my goal is to reconfigure things back to the way they were, but the exact process here alludes me.

Again, really grateful for your help.
smile.gif

edit: oops, you edited your post to answer my question, cheers. which version of IOS60 should i be installing (6174 or 6100)?

HellRaz0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you install bootmii as boot2? did you install bootmii as ios? preloader should be able to bring you to bootmii as ios and then make a nand backup... highly recommended

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Barmy said:
So that's where I'm at. Can't get to System Menu, can't get to HBC. Aside from not backing up a NAND, I don't see where I've gone wrong or any steps that I've missed. I haven't followed any guides that don't explicitly say that they work on LU64+ Wiis. I've followed the 4.2 version guides every time a difference is specified. And yet here I am, bricked.

bootmii as an ios is quite handy, you should always install it. Even if you can install it as boot2 as well. Then you can launch it from other programs like hbc instead of having to reboot.
You don't need preloader/priiloader to run usb loader. All you need is cios 222 or 249 installed. For that you need to delete the stubs at position 222 & 249, thats all. You either need to use trucha bug restorer or cboot2 & any title deleter or wad manager. Personally I found cboot2 & wad manager much easier & less error prone, because it just needs bootmii as an ios installed & some files on your sd card (getting those files is a little more involved but it's almost impossible to cause any problems ).

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Barmy said:
HellRaz0r said:
did you install bootmii as boot2? did you install bootmii as ios?

I didn't install it as either, I don't think.
soo you said you followed the completesoftmodguide but have no bootmii?

thats not following the guide guy.

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero said:
soo you said you followed the completesoftmodguide but have no bootmii?

thats not following the guide guy.

The same guide says that BootMii as an IOS offers "no brick protection". It also clearly states that installing BootMii as an IOS is "Optional".

So yeah, I was following the guide. Do you have any advice for my current situation?

noregister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the preloader option menu go to "Settings" and then change the "Autoboot" setting to "System Menu" Then reset your system. If your system menu is fine (and preloader made a mistake in determining that it wasn't) then you will be taken stright to the system menu. If your system doesn't boot to the system menu then hold reset while you power on the Wii to get back into preloader.

Don't blame me if this somehow prevents you from accessing your preloader, I am not an expert but I believe this may fix your problem.

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well you have an outdated preloader for one which cant load the newer HBC.
Your system menu IOS is not patched, so it will not boot obviously.
ok, pickle much?

1] get giantpune's HBCloader.rar package
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=182751

2] install it via preloader's option "load/install file"

3] run the "installed file"

the homwbrew channel should now work.

4] update preloader to priiloader
http://code.google.com/p/priiloader/downloads/list

5] use dop-ios mod to reinstall IOS70 and System menu 4.2

edit: doing what the guy above me said will just give you that same corrupted message. you can always hold reset while the wii is powering on to access priiloader.

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
noregister said:
In the preloader option menu go to "Settings" and then change the "Autoboot" setting to "System Menu" Then reset your system. If your system menu is fine (and preloader made a mistake in determining that it wasn't) then you will be taken stright to the system menu. If your system doesn't boot to the system menu then hold reset while you power on the Wii to get back into preloader.

It isn't Preloader telling me that my system is corrupt. The "files are corrupt" message I'm getting a system error, that occurs after PreLoader has exited and the system menu has tried to load. Still, thanks for helping.

If anyone could tell me which revision of IOS60 I should be reinstalling (as per HellRaz0r's earlier suggestion) then that would be a great help. Or if anyone has other ideas, of course.

edit: Thanks for the advice xzxero! If you could elaborate on the process of reinstalling IOS70 and System Menu 4.2, then that'd be great... As I mentioned in the OP, I never actually saw the "Classic" Dop menu that the complete softmod guide says I should have, so I'm not sure if I was navigating it correctly?

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I mean, the actual process within Dop, ie. how to get from the opening menu to where I need to be to do things properly. Unless you're implying something else that I'm totally missing, lol.

xzxero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you shouldnt worry bout dop-ios mod until you've done the other steps [get hbc back and update priiloader]

Barmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiShizzza said:
xzxero is absolutly right. His said is the way to go.

Okay, so....

On the main Dop screen should I choose to load IOS36, and edit everything through that? Or should I load through a different IOS? And after loading an IOS, do I just choose "IOS" and then hit right until IOS70 comes up? And then do I go to the System Menu option on the menu and re-install the System Menu through there?

Sorry for the (probably) basic questions, but my only experience with Dop is the few functions used in the guide, and as I said, even then I didn't see exactly the same screens that were pictured (ie. no "classic" menu).

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If using preloader and 4.2 set ios to ios60 not 70 for me it would sys corrupt on 70 using preloader 0.29.
edit
reading the first post again it looks like its cant find HBC because its looking for HAXX not JODI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs