GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
So the other day I was just looking at the Wii section of the forum, and I saw so many "Can someone do this?" and "Is this possible?" topics. So I thought that, if people could post their ideas and requests in a single topic, it'd be more organized. So anyone that has an idea for a new Wii app, or an enhancement for an existing one, post here! Who knows, maybe a coder will take the challenge
biggrin.gif

Format for ideas or enhacements:
Name: A name that fits what the app would do
Type: A new wii application, a homebrew game, a new feature for something that already exists...
Description: Explain briefly but thoroughly what the app would be about
Autor: Who came up with the idea

This will hopefully help many people that have a good idea, just like the NOOB PARADISE topic helped many people that had questions. Also, don't be afraid to post crazy ideas; after all, a USB loader was a crazy idea not long ago
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The ones that I think are more likely to be made are in blue, and the completed one(s) are in green.

New Ideas:

Powder Wii
Game port
"It's a very simple but full DS/GBA homebrew." Powder is a roguelike game, similar to Diablo. It's currently on many consoles, but not on Wii.
Web site

TWiiTTER
Online application
"XBOX 360 has Twitter, Facebook... so why not Wii."
- We Brew Wii (wiiman123)

Duke Nukem 3D & Rise of The Triad
Game ports
"I would kill for a port of Duke Nukem 3D with controls similar to Wii Quake. Rise of The Triad would also be great, I'm quite surprised that nobody has started working on these two as they're both open source as far as I remember."
- bytor

DJ music app
Music app
"A realtime music generator, somekind of DJ app or something. You can vary your music tempo, tone, etc... by playing with the Wiimote, for example rotating it regulates tempo, putting it up change music tone, and so. You can assign sounds to the d-pad, or nunchuk, so you can create new sounds on the fly."
- OriginalHamster

Homebrew Channel organization
App enhacement
"A modified homebrew channel so you can organize your apps or something similar." (whether it's an addition to the official app or a custom channel, I guess)
- DeadlyFoez

USB Disc readers for USB loaders
App enhacement
USB loaders should have the option to read DVDs from a USB disc reader. This would probably be pointless for most people, but new Wiis can't read burned DVDs, so with this even new Wii owners could play DVD backups. Also, this would mean x6 or even x8 speeds for DVDs.
- Me

wiIRC
Online application
A Wii IRC client.
- mruno

WiiTorrent
Online application
"A torrent client which would download torrents to USB / SD"
- WalkerOfTheDay

Alone in the Dark 1, 2 & 3
Game ports
"I'd like to see a port of the Alone in the Dark 1, 2 & 3 to our Wiis. I don't really know if it's open source or not, i spent a week looking for it and fail."
- diazao

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, a topic like this would reduce the clutter, but those threads are really pretty much "I'm too lazy to study the subject of making homebrew myself so I'll pawn my wants onto you".

On topic, I guess I'll say a POWDER port would be cool. It's a very simple but full DS/GBA homebrew.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Yeah I know XD this is just for fun, this won't change the fact that most ideas aren't coded. But who knows? Maybe someone will come up with something useful! That's the point of this topic, finding that one idea in a million.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I would kill for a port of Duke Nukem 3D with controls similar to Wii Quake.

Rise of The Triad would also be great, I'm quite surprised that nobody has started working on these two as they're both open source as far as I remember.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
A realtime music generator, somekind of DJ app or something. You can vary your music tempo, tone, etc... by playing with the Wiimote, for example rotating it regulates tempo, putting it up change music tone, and so. You can assign sounds to the d-pad, or nunchuk, so you can create new sounds on the fly.

A interective visual equalizer could be great.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well I guess I'll put my own idea here...

I've been thinking that USB loaders should have the option to read DVDs from a USB disc reader. This would probably be pointless for most people, but new Wiis can't read burned DVDs, so with this even new Wii owners could play DVD backups. Also with the rise of laptops so small that they don't even have disc drives, USB disc readers are becoming more common (at least here, maybe in the states it's different). Also, this would mean x6 or even x8 speeds for DVDs
biggrin.gif

Logitec-Portable-USB-DVD-player.jpg

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wii_128 said:

I've been thinking that USB loaders should have the option to read DVDs from a USB disc reader. This would probably be pointless for most people, but new Wiis can't read burned DVDs, so with this even new Wii owners could play DVD backups. Also with the rise of laptops so small that they don't even have disc drives, USB disc readers are becoming more common (at least here, maybe in the states it's different). Also, this would mean x6 or even x8 speeds for DVDs
biggrin.gif

I like this, I've got one of those new drives.

D

Deleted member 180466

wii_128 said:

biggrin.gif

Good idea!
biggrin.gif
I can not see that it is impossible to make it gonna work!
Just a little work, so will it work!
Now we need some clever hackers...

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a name is just a name
anyone could of thought of that.
in seconds, in fact thats would be the first name everyone wouldve though of.
IMO, you dont put any work into the development of the application
you get no credit

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
wii_128 said:

biggrin.gif

Well this is a great idea!
I have one of those and it would be great to use it to read GC! backups (my wii can't read DVDs anymore)

+1000000000000

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wiiman123 said:
twiitter.png

XBOX 360 has Twitter, Facebook... so why not Wii.
happy.gif

You can call it TWiiTTER, please credit "We Brew Wii" with the name.
So you want credit for the most obvious name for a Twitter client on the Wii possible? I'm sorry, but pretty much anyone else would have thought of the same name

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
wiiman123 said:
xzxero said:
a name is just a name
anyone could of thought of that.
in seconds, in fact thats would be the first name everyone wouldve though of.
IMO, you dont put any work into the development of the application
you get no credit

Thats not how copyright works. Doesn't matter if I thought of it first or not at all or stole the idea from someone, what matters is that I put it in writing first & documented the date/time of creation. You can't copyright an idea, only a tangible object like text. That alone will hold up in any court. end of story.

Im not really being serious about this copyright business. A simple mention as a contributor will suffice.

what are you on ?
this is total bullshit
you have to trademark a name (hint: this costs money and there are some rules that obviously won't be met in this case), you cannot claim copyright on an idea , neither on a name

http://www.copyright.gov/

QUOTE said:
What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section "What Works Are Protected."

and

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so everyone knows this topic is useless. The people who make homebrew apps dont go seeking requests.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: