Hacking New Wii can't play DVDs? Can be fixed with old disc drive?

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So where to start..

I recently got a Wii from a friend. The first thing I did was trying to softmod it.. Long story short: I bricked it..
But as I was so close to get it working I thought I would get it a second chance, so the day after I went and bought myself a new one. It came with firmware 4.3, but I knew you could use letterbomb to use HackMii installer. In the installer I noticed that I didn't get the choice to install DVDX which I knew I could do on my last Wii. I didn't think much of it cause I thought you could play all the games I wanted through USB or SD. I installed an USB Loader and tried playing a Wii game, which went just fine. I was really happy. Then I realized I also cracked the wii to be able to play Gamecube backups, which I at this point still though was as easy as to use an USB Loader. Ofcourse I understood how wrong I had been and started searching the net for ways to play the backups.
I came over the Gamecube backup launcher which needed to load the games from burned discs, but soon understood I needed to install DVDX to be able to play burned DVDs at all.
So I searched the net why I couldn't install it. If I have got this right it's because the newer Wiis is unable to play DVDs at all because of the disc drive being new or something, and that's why you couldn't install DVDX. BUT I also read somewhere that since 4.3 you can't install DVDX anyway.. so I'm quite confused there.

But if it's that the disc drive is to new, I realized I have an old one in my friends bricked one (don't know if it matter but the bricked one had the 4.2 firmware). So I was thinking that maybe I could just change the two and then I would have the choice to then install DVDX.
Would that do the trick? Or would I also have to downgrade to 4.2? Or is this a lost cause?

I know about DML which is pretty awesome, but I noticed it was not yet perfected.

I believe that is all..
Thankful for any help.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you swap the drives, you should be able to play GameCube disc backups. However, you do not need DVDX. Just use NeoGamma and the recommended cMIOS.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You can swap the drives, that is hoping that the bricked wii's drive can play burned discs. DVDX was let go when HBC was able to start using AHBPROT. There is no need for DVDX anymore.

As far as that bricked wii, I may be able to fix it for you. How did you brick it? Whats the wii's serial number? Did you have a NAND backup for it? There is a chance you still might be able to access the recovery mode using the SaveMiiFrii method.

The firmware that is on any wii does not affect the drive at all. You should be able to switch them without any issues as long as you are capable of taking the wii apart and putting it back together. There are video tutorials to show you how to do it.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't think DVDX is still needed. You should be able to play GC backup's on dvd-r with the Neogamma Loader.
I believe it requires you to install a cMios. I am sure modmii has the details fior that. You will need an older dvd drive capable of playing
backup media. I believe the situation somewhere changed mid 2008. Wii's from before that date should have a drive that can be used for it, Wii's from after that date don't have it. You also can enter the wii serial number on some sites that will tell you what drive is in it.

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah, three fast answers. Gotta love this epic forum..

Thank you all very much! much love. I will probably change the disc drives and give it a go! :)
Will get back to you when all is done.

You can swap the drives, that is hoping that the bricked wii's drive can play burned discs. DVDX was let go when HBC was able to start using AHBPROT. There is no need for DVDX anymore.

As far as that bricked wii, I may be able to fix it for you. How did you brick it? Whats the wii's serial number? Did you have a NAND backup for it? There is a chance you still might be able to access the recovery mode using the SaveMiiFrii method.

The firmware that is on any wii does not affect the drive at all. You should be able to switch them without any issues as long as you are capable of taking the wii apart and putting it back together. There are video tutorials to show you how to do it.

I bricked it by uninstalling some IOSes I think. after I did that I got no picture when starting up the Wii.. So I probably uninstalled the system menu?
I think I made a NAND backup.. if that is what you do through bootmii?
Will check the serial number once I get home from work!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you use bootmii to make a NAND backup. If you have a NAND backup from that Wii then I can fix the Wii. By the sounds of it that wii probably doesn't have bootmii installed to boot2 otherwise you'd see the bootmii screen show up when you start up the wii with the SD card in it. But yeah, still tell us the serial number so we can know for sure.

Reactions: 1 person

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, you use bootmii to make a NAND backup. If you have a NAND backup from that Wii then I can fix the Wii. By the sounds of it that wii probably doesn't have bootmii installed to boot2 otherwise you'd see the bootmii screen show up when you start up the wii with the SD card in it. But yeah, still tell us the serial number so we can know for sure.
Really? that would be sweet. but how exactly?
so the serial number is LEH100780383
Does that mean it can play DVDs?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, your wii does have a vulnerable boot1 so that means bootmii can be installed to boot2, and if you had run the hackmii installer before you bricked the wii then you might have bootmii installed to boot2 and if so then you can fix it yourself.
If bootmii is not installed to boot2 then you would have to send the wii to someone like me for it to be repaired. The repair is only to be done by people with soldering skills, the right tools, and a bunch of other stuff.

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok but I'm not sure if I installed it as boot2, although it kind of sounds familiar.
If I did, and I have the NAND backup, how do I proceed?

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Confirm that I have the NAND backup? That I do
Confirm that I have installed it as boot2?.. How?
Sorry if I seem slow, but I am still really new to this shit

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Ok, you do in fact have bootmii installed to boot2. All you need to do is make sure that the bootmii folder is on your SD card, insert it into the wii, turn on the wii and the bootmii menu should show up. From there you can go into the homebrew channel, use MMM or YAWM to reinstall the system menu and it's IOS.

If you need to download the files for it you can get them from using ModMii (link in my sig).

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yep, that's the indication of bootmii @ boot2
You will need an sd card (preferable non sdhc)
Download modmii, and download the bootmii folder contents for sd with it.
Copy the bootmii folder and it's contents to the root of the wii, and put the card in the wii.
Turn it on, and see if it gives you the bootmii screen.

krydda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did what you said, but as before.. no sign of any video signal..

something wrong with how the files are on the card perhaps?
screendumped theese
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31865338/Rootfolder.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31865338/bootmiifolder.jpg

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Besides the sd card, I have no explanation why it isn't working. I don't suppose you have another card you could try? All you need is copiing over the bootmii folder to see if it works. You can copy the nand.bin afterwards. So, it might contain other stuff, as long as it's fat or fat32 formatted. (most sd cards are.)

I have had rare occasions of sd cards not being recognised by bootmii @ boot2, but I can't remember which.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte