Gaming New Wii 2 info leaked from IGN

swami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This info came from http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html This info makes the Wii 2 sound better than I expected, guess we'll have to wait until official info from Nintendo at E3 to confirm.

More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...as far as speculation goes*, this one's not too unrealistic. It's kind of obvious that it has to outperform the competition in order to make people reconsider it. The ship date is sooner than I anticipated, but since there is already a demo at E3 (this IS confirmed), things might be in a later stadium than expected.

A "modernized version of the SNES"...would that mean it goes back to using cartridges instead of disks?

*I'm calling all unconfirmed sources 'speculation' here. Maybe the better word would be 'prediction', but I don't want to give the impression that there's a promise about anything

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I can already point out a major flaw of this source. Foxconn is a Taiwanese-owned manufacturing company, but their major production plants are located in Mainland China. All production of devices from Nintendo take place at their plants in Mainland China, not domestically in Taiwan. Remember those stories on suicides? Yeah, those are the guys that make our consoles from the Big 3. If IGN's "credible source" cannot even identify this correctly, I find it hard to believe a word they have to say.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
I kind of doubt this because I believe that Nintendo cannot make a console that will dominate the PS3 and Xbox 360. They never put their full effort into their console systems since the N64. Waiting for E3 is the only thing I can do for now.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
salamai said:
I kind of doubt this because I believe that Nintendo cannot make a console that will dominate the PS3 and Xbox 360. They never put their full effort into their console systems since the N64. Waiting for E3 is the only thing I can do for now.

Except the 360 and PS3 are 6 and 5 years old respectively, meaning the tech is really old in the tech world.
It would not be a surpise if Nintendo releases a system on par or just above the PS3 or 360 because these systems
Are and cheaper to make already. It would be a shock if they launched a system below the PS3's current specs, IMO.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
salamai said:
You Realize that the xbox360 came out in late 2005 and ps3 came out in 2006 right? thats such old tech, nintendo could easily make a more powerful console and not even use the newest tech available. And then when Sony and Microsoft come out with their new consoles they'll probably be much better then the new nintendo console. Its the way it goes

Also and if you go by sales the wii already does dominate the ps3 and xbox360. Just looses in graphics

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of these are rumors, not leaks. That aside, $400 for the system? What about extra controllers? From the specs. of the controller i doubt they'll be $50-60. Man the price is out there compared to the price of a release date Wii. The controllers could be in the same range though. Most likely more.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
salamai said:

If the article is to be believed, Foxconn's doin' it.

Foxconn = +1, really good manufacturers
IBM PowerPC = +1, really good architecture
AMD GPU = +1, not much to say here, really

So far so good. Let's just hope it's not the editor's wild dream.

QUOTEIGN = IGNorant

As far as reviews go, yes. As far as predictions go, they've proven numerous times that they do have reliable sources.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I personally won't like it if Nintendo's next console is big like the Xbox. I've loved nintendo's last 2 consoles because of their small size and low cost. And as far as I know, IGN has been wrong about specs on nearly every console before it is released. I hope they are wrong again.

swami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't doubt that the new wii will be bigger. If they are using faster processors they are going to get hotter and a larger bow would make room for bigger quieter fans to get the heat out of there. Also, I doubt if the foxconn part is false, I have read that at a lot of different places that did not have all of the other stuff listed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all