kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I have been my wii backups on my usb drive for a while, i decided to finally get a external hardrive today.
I went to walmart and got the wd passport 2.5 inches. I use WSBF manager and format the drive, put the games on
and plug it into my wii. I run usb gx loader and it starts to countdown and freeze. I have reformatted the drive a couple of times
am i missing something please help
yaywii.gif

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kharn101 said:
Hi guys,
I have been putting stuff on my usb drive for a while, i decided to finally get a external hardrive today.
I went to wallmart and got the wd passport 2.5 inches. I use WSBF manager and format the drive, put the games on
and plug it into my wii. I run usb gx loader and it starts to countdown and freeze. I have reformatted the drive a couple of times
am i missing something please help
frown.gif
do you have a cios installed?
have you tried plugging it into the other usb port?
did that wal-mart really have two l's? could be a bogus drive.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kharn101 said:
yep i do have cios installed, do i need to format the hd to fat32?
what cios do you have, if you dont mind me asking. this might take awhile, giving us little sips of info like this.

what filesystem you use depends a great deal on what loader and what cios you are using.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Confingurable USB Loader and use ver. 222.

I had the same problems w/ GX (and others) on my ext. HDD and that worked.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...WBFS partitions are pretty much obsolete....if you're starting anew, go FAT32....

otherwise, there may be a setting in the your USB loader to look for a specific file system....might need changing

(i used to use WBFS on GX a while ago.....but now i use FAT32 on WiiFlow250....)

kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay now i converted the file you gave me to the proper boot file,
i am in the install screen...it says select wbfs device, that is the sd or the USB mass storage device? I don't want to mess this up. Please let me know
smile.gif
..Also you guys are all the best thanks again so much

kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, it is still not recognizing the drive, here is what i did...i must have missed something..
1. Used fat32format tool...formated the hdd to fat32
2. Used backupmanager put games on the drive
3. dl the .dol and change it to boot.dol and loaded up
4. used the program and pluged in hd to usb on the left side
5. 30 sec countdown reset the program (hd unread)
Any ideas?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the countdown you describe says this is either a HDD or a HDD recognition problem (saying something like 'waiting for your SLOW device' if i remember correctly)....well, your computer sees it, so the drive's working....that particular model: WD 500 Passport, is the same drive i have...mine works perfecty, so it isn't a HDD model compatibility issue....

...are the games in .wbfs format in a folder called 'wbfs' (in the FAT32 filesystem)?

...do you have the drive partitioned for any reason...try designating it as 'active' in disc management.....

...what you used before (a thumbdrive i presume)....do you still have your games on that?...if you put that in, does it still work?....was it formatted WBFS or FAT32?

...you mention the 'left side'...is that the port closest to what would be the bottom of the wii if it were horizontal...? ...some people say 'left side' as looking from the back, others say 'left side' as though looking at the front...(i've always preferred top/bottom sides)....

...just for giggles, have you tried it in the other port....?

...those are all my ideas...hopefully one works....

kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey thanks for the fast reply,
1. I used Backupmanager for G:(my hardrive)It stated do you want to create a WBFS Folder, i clicked yes
Then it stated WBFS folder (fat32). Then added the iso from the files section, then selected the games and hit transfer to drive G: that is all i did( i didn't know what to select the transfer i didn't select (ISOs, CISOs, RARs, .wbfs) just normal transfer and it started transferring to the drive
2. I have windows 7( i will try disk managment) i opened it for windows 7 how do i make it active?
3. I was using wbfs
4. i switched to the other port, made the countdown go faster..
frown.gif

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...so the games are in .iso format? can you use your program to make them .wbfs format? if not, there's a utility called 'WBFS_file 2.8' (google it) that i use to convert my iso's....

...i haven't used the program you are using...so i can only tell you how i do it....

my process: DL, un-rar to iso with winrar, convert to .wbfs using WBFS_file 2.8 (this creates a folder called 'game name [ID6]' (eg. de Blob [R6BE78]), place this created folder (which contains the R6BE78.wbfs file) in the wbfs folder of my WD500Passport...

are you launching all your app files from SD (which i also do)....or your drive with the games on it? ...don't know if this matters....(but someone might have insight with this info)

i think designating a partition active only applies to partitioned drives...which is why i asked if your drive was partitioned.... (also, i use XP, so if it's different for W7, i am unsure)....
edit: check that...you can mark unpartitioned drives as active in XP by doing a right click, then 'mark as active...' again, don't know if it matters and don't know if it's the same for W7 (i do know it matters for running UNEEK or S/UNEEK+DI)

kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.i think wii back up converts the .iso to wbfs files...let me check on the hard drive
2. The whole drive is fat32 i didn't partition it at all.
3. Yes, i am launching all my apps from my sd card. I am just putting the games on the hdd.
I am going to try wiiflow...lets see
smile.gif

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know wiiflow has a setting as to what filesystem you are using...if it doesn't work right away, be sure to change that setting to look for FAT32 in the options menu.....

i use wiiflow250 with cIOS20[56]@250......

edit 11:47CDT -- haven't seen you for a while, so i'm bailing on you...bedtime...hope you get (got) it all figured out....

kharn101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no luck with the hardrive......i plugged in one of my thumbdrives and both worked right away....i am so lost! this is the 2.5 inch one btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night