Hacking New wad packing tool

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent all night coding this up, let me know what you think.

wadpacker.png

Download: http://foxingworth.com/wii/tf_wad_packer.zip

All you need to do is stick common-key.bin into the wadtools folder (don't ask me where to get this file). Insert a SD card that has a filesystem dump on it and start the program. It'll read through your dump and list available channels. Click Pack WAD when you find what you want and it'll automatically find the appropitate files and make you your wad.

Try it out and let me know how it works.

Update 5:
Fixed a bug that gave ticket errors for some people.

Update 4:
More robust name detection.

Update 3:
Added a debug mode so those having problems can send me a log to help squash bugs.

Update 2:
The program no longer uses a database for looking up the names. It now examines the files and figures out the title on it's own. No more unknown titles, however some names come out funny (ie. "Defend Your CastleXGen Studios").

It also makes sure channel content is present when adding to the list. The old version listed a channel if the ticket was present, which doesn't neccesarily mean the channel exists.

Update:
Well it turns out that the KiKe wadpacker is rubbish, so I switched to one that makes valid tickets. This app now uses the BFGR Wadtools to do the actual packing, which will hopefully work out better.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It means you have to do a File System dump of the Wii's internal flash contents, just like with any other WAD packing program.

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
trent_fox said:
I spent all night coding this up, let me know what you think. It's a front end for the wadpacker by KiKe, making the process pretty much plug and play.

tfwadpacker.jpg

Download: http://foxingworth.com/wii/tf_wad_packer.zip

All you need to do is stick common-key.bin into the wad_packer folder (don't ask me where to get this file). Insert a SD card that has a filesystem dump on it and start the program. It has an internal database so it'll give your channel listing proper names. Even if the channel is not in the database, it'll still recogonize the type and region, making it easier to find the title you're looking for. Click Pack WAD when you find what you want and it'll automatically find the appropitate files and make you your wad.

Try it out and let me know how it works.
If it's Kike, it'll use his stupid ticket signing?
Those tools are bad and make bad WAD's if you based this tool on them.

EDIT: I'll explain better.
Kike's tools sign the ticket with a bad title-key. The WAD will install, but it's a BAD ticket, and could cause problems.

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to run the file system dump application by Waninkoko on your Wii. That dumps the contents of your Wii's NAND onto your SD card, which this application then reads to create the wads. It doesn't make the games out of thin air.

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, didn't know his tool made bad tickets. What's bad about them and/or which tool should I look into that makes better wads?

jayparadox

Trophies
Website
pokemon-project.com
XP
Country
Spain
I use those BRBG(or what ever they are called) for Windows, and Marcans tools under Linux.

PD: It's a good app that you have made, just based on the wrong tools. I'm sure it'll be "easy" to change and use the good tools
wink.gif

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
change it to use the wadtools wadpacker or the blaze wadpacker. both create good tickets.

the "bad" tickets kike's tool creates are basically entirely fake tickets with a message inside, they work but are easy to detect/disable.

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking into the new tools right now, I hope to have a better version out later today.

EDIT: Ok, switched the BFGR wadtools.

Soubi

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Please release the source code. I would like to try adding detection of the channel name directly from the channel itself instead of from an internal database.

Thanks!

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or at least make the database external, so it can be edited. Most people that would be using this know what serials equal which channels.

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added another update. I figured out how the names were stored in the files and did away with the database.

And for whoever asked, yes this is coded in Visual Basic. As much as I'd want to use a "real" language, VB is just too damn easy to pump out apps in.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not bad, but there is one issue I still see with file listing.

Granted I should know what it is, but I don't...and there's no way to identify it anymore.

Yes, I have remembered what it is, but there should be a way to program that if it's unknown, that it uses the serial. Being that it's QAPJ (Rondo of Blood) it should at least be able to say it's a TG-16 game, since P and Q are always used for that system (P for cartridge games, Q for CD based games).

trent_fox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll fix that up in the next version SirVG. I'll have to track down that game and see why it isn't detecting the name properly.

The system detection is my fault. I didn't realize that both P and Q were used for TG-16 (I only have it checking for P).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr