New user - Risk buying DSi & icard? Or buy Lite and which card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by PeepingTommy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. PeepingTommy

Newcomer PeepingTommy Newbie

Apr 7, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm looking to buy a DS and a flash cart. Can you veterens recommend which combination I should buy?

I don't know whether to risk buying a DSi and an icard only for Nintendo to patch against it or buy a cheaper DS Lite and a flash cart comfortable that I will be off Nintendo's radar.

some questions and doubts in my head:

with option 1) can I still use all features of the dsi? will I have to keep buying new cards as nintendo upgrade their firmware? If I don't upgrade can I refuse it and enjoy the range of extra gfeatures the DSi offers over the Lite?

with option 2) am i missing out on significantly good features? which cart should I get? I am looking for a good, clean simple interface and total compatibility.

Thanks all for your help.
  2. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    1) Yes, you will be able to use all of the DSi features, however, you do have to upgrade to access the DSi Shop (I think thats what its called [​IMG]).
    2) A nice cart (and a cheap one) is the Acekard 2i, it offers a great interface (AKAIO) and has been known to work with both european and american DSi's (I read a post somewhere that some people have had trouble with american DSi's though).
  3. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Jun 1, 2004
    In my opinion it's likely that Nintendo will make updates mandatory when you want to play certain DSi only games (just like Sony did with the PSP).
    I can't recommend the AK2i because they seem to have serious issues with contacts, micro SD cards and probably some more (just search the forum). I haven't heard anything like that from users of DSTTi or EZ Vi, though I don't know if the AK2i has more features (but I guess it has).

So, if you want to be on the safe side just get a DSlite.