New USB hub peripheral allows multiplayer on the EverSD

Released in 2020, the Evercade is a handheld emulation device that specializes in licensing and reprinting exclusive cartridges of older games. It also has a mini HDMI port for output onto an HDTV. While it has been generally well-received, one feature missing from it, as noted by our official GBAtemp review of the device, was the lack of any kind of multiplayer support. Now, thanks to a peripheral being offered by EverSD, an Evercade homebrew device that allows running games off of an SD card, you can finally enjoy multiplayer games on the EverSD. The EverSD USB Multiplayer Hub is currently available for pre-order on the EverSD website for €10.00. The trailer above demonstrates some of the controllers that can have been tested and proven to function with the EverSD.

Attachments

• hq720.jpg
    hq720.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 62

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure you could take it in turns, but multiplayer would have been killer. With just a BT adaptor or even an OTG cable to allow a USB controller to connect this could also be overcome if the developers can, though I am unsure of the technical limitations of the hardware.

I totally called this happening :)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish modern 2D and indie games would be released to the Evercade on cartridge. It isn't hard to imagine the likes of Sonic Mania or Shovel Knight getting their own release on the Evercade. In a lot of ways the device (especially the newer 4 player home console version) seems to be what Mike Kennedy was trying to make with the scam that was the Retro VCS and later Coleco Chameleon, except you know real and not a scam. Only thing really holding it back fully from that vision are the lack of modern indie titles also being released to the device.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really wish modern 2D and indie games would be released to the Evercade on cartridge. It isn't hard to imagine the likes of Sonic Mania or Shovel Knight getting their own release on the Evercade. In a lot of ways the device (especially the newer 4 player home console version) seems to be what Mike Kennedy was trying to make with the scam that was the Retro VCS and later Coleco Chameleon, except you know real and not a scam. Only thing really holding it back fully from that vision are the lack of modern indie titles also being released to the device.
Well, there is an Indie games cartridge getting released on the Evercade in about 2 weeks...

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/indie-heroes-collection-1-cartridge/

neverreadymike

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to set one of these hubs up? I've got one and tried to plug in a wired unofficial Xbox one controller and also a standard keyboard. Retroarch doesn't pick them up automatically and when I try and set multiple inputs and go through all keys it doesn't respond. On latest eversd version and just using retroarch to run games. Ideally I wanted to run some old amstrad games but most of them require you to press different keys on the keyboard even if you then look to use the built in joypad. Was hoping to use a real keyboard to get round it.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch by default will assign anything you plug into a usb hub to player 2 thru 5 (or higher if you change the default # of players from 5 to another value)
In your case you need your keyboard set to player 1. If the Amstrad core works like game console cores, you can't set two devices to the same player number so it may be the case you you have to choose between a gamepad OR a keyboard since both can't be player 1 normally. I don't usually use Retroarch for computer emulation so I'm not 100% positive on the part about the keyboard and controller both being player #1 but I am positive that by default the evercade built in controls ARE player 1 and you must change that for what you want to work.

Reactions: neverreadymike

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there is an Indie games cartridge getting released on the Evercade in about 2 weeks...

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridges/indie-heroes-collection-1-cartridge/
Yeah I'm aware of that, but it's not exactly what I was getting at. Those ARE indie games, but they were made for classic systems. It's not much different than receiving a standard NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, etc. game to the device (depending on what systen these indie titles were originality made for), which the device already has seen plenty of. What I want to see are modern indie titles on the device that the system could clearly handle. Stuff like Shovel Knight, Celeste, Sonic Mania, Fez, Golf Story (though I believe Nintendo has exclusive rights to that series, but I could be wrong), etc. etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...