Hacking New update for 3DS EU doesn´t disable flashcarts.

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
epicCreations.org said:
according to this source I dug up, translated by this site,
QUOTE said:
[...]During a Q&A session at the briefing, an attendee asked if Nintendo would be implementing anti-piracy measures via the internet. Replied Iwata, "As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet."[...]
QUOTE[...]"Past firmware update methods have required that the player manually initiate the update. In Nintendo's experience, said Iwata, players did not do this very much."[...]

I can't check myself as I'm at school but I'll be sure to check when I get home.
All that means is that flashcards will need updates much more often. The 3DS firmware updates will just help them recognise invalid cards and not run them, just like the updates for the DSi did.

Does anyone actually believe that there will be a firmware version that will brick your handheld if you run an unofficial cartridge? Can you imagine what would happen if a sweet little child (unknowingly) bought a fake cartridge while on vacation at a labour country and his/her 3DS got bricked because of that? Shitstorms like the kind that would ensue from such situations are probably the last thing Nintendo wants.

They will do whatever they can to prevent fake cartridges from running but at the same time they don't want to harm their own customers.

vandawn

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well its still the game of cat and mouse they are doing
nothing new
they will just make updates on firmware that will block your flashcard
then the flashcards teams will release their newest firmwares and all will be good
when a new game comes out you wont be able to play it
then someone will release a patch and you will be able to run it smoothly
it all the same
consider pokemon which is nintendo's biggest selling game over the world
in 1 day every flashcard was able to emulate the game without even using an actual update
so here is the deal
if you dont wanna use a flashcard it your joice
but as many ppl like rydian and the first tester of the newest update said it safe to use your flashcard

ps. you can actualy delete the game history as someone pointed out
so all these theories THAT WHEN YOU USE A FLASHCARD THAT LOGGS LIKE ALEX RIDER NINTENDO WILL BRICK YOUR ASS OFF are complete bs.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Spongeroberto said:
All that means is that flashcards will need updates much more often. The 3DS firmware updates will just help them recognise invalid cards and not run them, just like the updates for the DSi did.

Does anyone actually believe that there will be a firmware version that will brick your handheld if you run an unofficial cartridge? Can you imagine what would happen if a sweet little child (unknowingly) bought a fake cartridge while on vacation at a labour country and his/her 3DS got bricked because of that? Shitstorms like the kind that would ensue from such situations are probably the last thing Nintendo wants.

They will do whatever they can to prevent fake cartridges from running but at the same time they don't want to harm their own customers.
Yeah. The conference said nothing about automatic updates (from what Google Translate gave) and nothing about bricking 3DS. I don't think the bricking will ever happen, but I'm probably going to stick to using my AK on my DS Lite, in case they decide to ban online for those users.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xuphor said:
Nintendo.com said:
Nintendo 3DS includes SpotPass™,a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.*

"Game Data" and "free software" is DLC. Videos is obvious. So what is "information" and "so on" then, hmm?
Source: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/hardware#/9
Information as in: information about new updates, information about why the Mario Kart servers are down, and maybe a Nintenewsletter.
smile.gif

And so on would not be something as major as a firmware update.

At best, maybe the 3DS could pre-download the update and offer it to the user when it's done.

Chainhunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
The ONLY WAY your 3DS can update is if you allow it to. You must go into System Settings MANUALLY and work from there.

In my Nintendo 3DS (UK) operation manual, it says that this isn't true.

It says (on page 105):

"From time to time, the Nintendo 3DS system will carry out automatic updates, such as updates to a list which prevents the use of words that may caus some users discomfort, and/or updates to an internal database of wireless access points which allow you to access online services provided by Nintendo."

"No prior notice for these or other such minor automatic updates will be displayed on the screen."

This could include hacking prevention measures...

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An automatic firmware update is probably just like the Wii updates. It'll automatically prepare the console for an update and ASK that its available and ready to download. Dont think it'll do it without your consent.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Chainhunter said:
Slyakin said:
The ONLY WAY your 3DS can update is if you allow it to. You must go into System Settings MANUALLY and work from there.

It says (on page 105):

"From time to time, the Nintendo 3DS system will carry out automatic updates, such as updates to a list which prevents the use of words that may caus some users discomfort, and/or updates to an internal database of wireless access points which allow you to access online services provided by Nintendo."

"No prior notice for these or other such minor automatic updates will be displayed on the screen."

The Wii manual says pretty much exactly the same thing

We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console

Did they automatically download AP updates to your machine without your consent? n#No.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chainhunter said:
Slyakin said:

It says (on page 105):

I'd hardly think an update that could cause a 3DS to brick would be considered minor.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
people like myself are worried on what could happen in the future, not what is now.
i dont want to lose online play or have a bricked console
if something does happen, we can all start laughing at you guys.
tongue.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chainhunter said:
Slyakin said:

It says (on page 105):

Oh! Thanks for the info! I never have seen the manual... So...
wink.gif

This is, however, also displayed on the Wii's manual. "Automatic", in this case, meant disk updates.

So... Cartridges have updates on them now?
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s