Gaming NEW upcoming Wii U game Swipe Knight (working title)

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

Some of you have already read about my game in the introduction, now I am gonna go in to much greater detail. here we go
smile.png

My name is Tommy and I been making games for about 5 years or so, and last month I got approved by Nintendo to make games for Wii U. I am so happy and excited because since I was 4 years old my dream has been to make games for Nintendo, and now 23 years later its finally happening J
Here is some very early images from my upcoming Wii U game Swipe Knight.​

octocactus.png
Swipe knight is a metroidvania game with many unique features and game mechanics.​
One of the most outstanding mechanics is that you control the hero with the by swiping the touchscreen.​
Swipe up to jump and swipe down to slide.​
Swipe in the direction the hero is walking to attack.​
Swipe in the opposite direction to turn around and walk in the other direction.​
Swipe down while jumping to do a down thrust.​
And more.​
This might sound a bit weird to some of you, but I will post a trailer of the game in about a week or so and then you will understand that it’s not as weird as it seems, its actually really comfortable.​
Players can also control the hero with the left analog stick in which work in the same way as the swipes.​
The idea came from all these popular mobile games like Cookie run and Subway surf, they have a particular addictive feel to them.​
I wanted to capture the addictive gameplay of those games and put it in a metroidvania style setting. The result is something truly unique.​
You get the best of 2 worlds, the simple addictive gameplay elements of a casual game taken to a whole new level mixed with the excitement of exploring a vast world, finding new items, fighting huge bosses and all that good stuff.​
STORY
Swipe Knight does not only have 1, but 2 stories. The main story which will be about 65% of the game is focusing on how the leader of a cult is trying to resurrect an evil demon who’s soul has been trapped inside a ghost ship.​

story1.png
The other story which will be about 35% of the game, is found in the secret areas and will progress more every time you find a new secret area of the game. So the game has a big emphasis on exploration and secrets to say the least!​
As a gamer I have always been fascinated by games with interesting world themes, that’s why Mario Land 2 with all its unique worlds is one of my favorite Mario games.​

1.png
So even though you will visit more common worlds like a desert, forest, hell and so on, will you also visit worlds with more unique themes like:​
Cyberpunk Zone​
Boardgame World​
30s Cartoon Alley​
Survival-horror Mansion​
Garden of Love​
To name a few.​
Most of the worlds in the trailer have been from the more common ones, and if you want to see the more wacky ones then come back here on a regular basis because I am going to post some of them here in the coming updates.​
But it’s not just the looks of the worlds that will make them different from one and other, each world will have its own unique set of enemies, puzzles, obstacles and gimmicks.​
You probably wonder what crazy gameplay that will make use of both screens at once, right? Well the 2 screens will be used in many different ways, but without saying to much let me leave you with this:​
You can control the hero with either swipes or the left analog stick, so it only takes ONE hand to control ONE character. The Wii U gamepad have TWO analog sticks and one touchscreen, and TWO screens. So there will be parts where you are controlling 2 characters separated from each other at the same time, one on each screen.​
I don’t want to give away any more of my 2 screen ideas, because I don’t want to see them end up in someone else’s game before I released mine, but hopefully I got you excited by now.​

bosses1.png

Comoth is the first boss of the game and Though will be a later boss. More to come
3.gif

As I probably stated earlier is there still a couple of important game mechanics that I haven’t mentioned yet. So let’s take a look at one of the:
First of all, this game concept is kind of like Battle Kid in the regard that it’s a metroidvania game with each screen being its own unique challenge, and yes I did get some inspiration from that game.
So it’s not like Mario where you run and run and the camera follow you through the entire stage, no. Instead the is game divided in to short segments.

Now to the interesting part
3.gif
Since this is a metroidvania game you are of course going to find new weapons and items. But instead of you going to a start menu and choose what weapon or item you want to use will the game automatically do it for you. What the hero carries in his hand when he enters a screen is what that segment is going to be based around.
herohand.gif

(the framerate on this gif is not correct, a bit too slow. it was either this or a bit too fast
3.gif
)

That allows me to create segments that are completely built around the gimmick of a particular item or weapon. I am aiming for huge variety in gameplay. I also want to point out that if you enter a screen that is based around an item or weapon that you don’t have yet then the hero will just carry a sword.

…Also here is another image of a boss, Janus
3.gif

janusx.png

Janus will have you travel in time during the boss fight which creates a very unique experience.

More info coming soon J
Thank you for taking your time to look at my work.​

I will post more updates here and in other forums, but you can also follow me on facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/tommy.nordered.77 .​

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Will there be a demo to try it out before purchasing?

Indie games on Xbox 360 all have demos and frankly, after trying a ton of them I realised that very little were worth paying for despite that they were dirt cheap already.

Reactions: DirtyMangle

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Will there be a demo to try it out before purchasing?

Indie games on Xbox 360 all have demos and frankly, after trying a ton of them I realised that very little were worth paying for despite that they were dirt cheap already.

Yeah, I will most likely have a demo of the game for people to try before purchase. :)

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What about local co-op multiplayer? If it is supported then I will buy it for sure!!!

I have an idea for multiplayer, but its a bit complicated so I cant promise anything yet. but IF there will be multiplayer then it will be local and using 2 wii u gamepads.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have an idea for multiplayer, but its a bit complicated so I cant promise anything yet. but IF there will be multiplayer then it will be local and using 2 wii u gamepads.
Considering you're only supposed to use one, is there even a way to address two different gamepads? And how would a person get a second one unless he brought his own to a friend's place, considering they're not sold separately? It doesn't seem very practical.

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering you're only supposed to use one, is there even a way to address two different gamepads? And how would a person get a second one unless he brought his own to a friend's place, considering they're not sold separately? It doesn't seem very practical.

True that, but Nintendo have stated that they will start sell them once they have sold more systems. And I do not promise their will be any multiplayer, its only a "maybe" if it turns out to work great when testing it.

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you still have to use the gamepad to swipe to attack and jump thats what i'm not fond of..

Just wait until the end of the week when I post the trailer and hopefully you will change your opinion ;) everyone that have tested the game really liked the control, its because it was so surprisingly comfortable I decided to implement it.

Fronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering your enthusiasm and it being a metroidvania style game I will probably buy it. The appearance reminds me of maplestory or gaia online's zomg. You are a single person dev right? and how did you get approved by Nintendo? I wouldn't mind seeing if it's possible in my future one day.

Reactions: DirtyMangle

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering your enthusiasm and it being a metroidvania style game I will probably buy it. The appearance reminds me of maplestory or gaia online's zomg. You are a single person dev right? and how did you get approved by Nintendo? I wouldn't mind seeing if it's possible in my future one day.

My advice to you is to create an impressive game that you can show Nintendo, if they like what they see then you will probably be approved. The game dont need to be long, just impressive.
Yes I am a single person dev, but we are a small team working on Swipe Knight, I do all the coding and design, another guy does all the music, and the last guy helps me to come up with game mechanics, story and testing the game.

Reactions: Fronic

Fronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice to you is to create an impressive game that you can show Nintendo, if they like what they see then you will probably be approved. The game dont need to be long, just impressive.
Yes I am a single person dev, but we are a small team working on Swipe Knight, I do all the coding and design, another guy does all the music, and the last guy helps me to come up with game mechanics, story and testing the game.
Thanks I'll keep it in mind. Right now I am a developer for IBM but maybe in a couple years I'll consider it. I already do a lot of hobby game development but most of it is trying to do something that I find challenging.

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't launch in others consoles, keep Wii U exclusive to put up the sales!

Wii U will be the only one of the 3 major consoles to get this game, quite frankly no other console will be able to play it because there will be lots of levels and boss fights that use both screens.
But I might release ported versions to phones and pc, but those versions wont have many of the levels and bosses that the Wii U version has, simple because it can only be done on the Wii U :)

Todays update, lets take a look at some enemy animations ;) All these will appear in the trailer later this week.
minotaur.gif
monkey.gif
hydra.gif

More to come :) Thank you all for your positive feedback it really warms my heart.

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PS) That hydra is a boss and you have to jump in the air and do a down-thrust on his forehead to kill him...that will be in the trailer :)

Reactions: Fronic

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wii U will be the only one of the 3 major consoles to get this game, quite frankly no other console will be able to play it because there will be lots of levels and boss fights that use both screens.
But I might release ported versions to phones and pc, but those versions wont have many of the levels and bosses that the Wii U version has, simple because it can only be done on the Wii U :)

Todays update, lets take a look at some enemy animations ;) All these will appear in the trailer later this week.
minotaur.gif
monkey.gif
hydra.gif

More to come :) Thank you all for your positive feedback it really warms my heart.

OK!, keep the good work, and good luck too! I will see some gameplays of the final game and I'll try buy it!, I have a question, the game will run 1080p 60fps?

DirtyMangle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK!, keep the good work, and good luck too! I will see some gameplays of the final game and I'll try buy it!, I have a question, the game will run 1080p 60fps?

Nothing is set in stone yet, so I unfortunatly cant answer that question right now. But I will try, since it seem to be what people want :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s