Hacking New TX SX Information: New FAQs and Homebrew Support Confirmed for Launch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The CFW is not free but is available to people who have another way to run payloads. Authorized distributors handle consumer sales for TX.

Interesting news. They're banking on the OS selling more..

The combination of the two is flabbergasting to me. :)

The dongle/jig combo is how most people will run CFW in the future. TX has an interesting dongle and is price competitive with it - but seemingly couldnt protect it and are afraid of clones.

So instead of selling hardware, they decide to DRM lockdown their CFW and sell that instead - into a market that they believe will be fragmented by people using PCs, smartphones and clone dongles.

Why. If the dongle/jig is a "every coldboot cycle" thing their dongle solutions seemed attractive to everyone - even people in here that already had used f-g another way.

If their dongle/jig just gets used once - all of a sudden we are faced with a modchip company putting DRMed code onto our switches - but telling us, that we "still could load anything". Now - what about OFW update cycles - what about the risk of not being able to apply the blob after the next OFW, what about the "firmware race" against Nintendo (they will try to prevent TX to reverse their firmware, they might update more often...), how will they apply CFW updates...

The idea, that TX would venture into the "DRM protected" CFW business doesnt seem like a really great idea at first glance...

So they must really think, that there is no margin in selling the dongle/jig and CFW (but not protected) bundle. They'd rather have users go from one DRMed ecosystem into another one (Nintendo > TX).

Huh... Thats a first.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TX's dongle is just a nice payload launcher. Nothing stopping others from making their own. TX's goods have a reputation of high quality, they will sell units regardless of cheap alternatives.

Trust me I personally know that. I used their Xbox and 360 modchips. But my point was in that Xecuter knows the dongle can and will be easily reproduced and it is why they are going with the (reasonable priced) CFW route.

I'm waiting for the details on how their CFW works, if it uses emuNAND then I will purchase it for sure.

Reactions: peteruk

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me I personally know that. I used their Xbox and 360 modchips. But my point was in that Xecuter knows the dongle can and will be easily reproduced and it is why they are going with the (reasonable priced) CFW route.

I'm waiting for the details on how their CFW works, if it uses emuNAND then I will purchase it for sure.

Every TX product ever made can be easily reproduced. Just not at the same quality.

They are going the CFW route because the (public) talent in 2018 is unwilling to explicitly support piracy, and TX wants their product to be actually useful on day one.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Every TX product ever made can be easily reproduced. Just not at the same quality.

They are going the CFW route because the (public) talent in 2018 is unwilling to explicitly support piracy, and TX wants their product to be actually useful on day one.
Thats why they go "protected"? Doesnt make sense... :)

Also - we are looking for for profit motives, not for "out of the good of their hearts" motivated decisions... ;)

Last edited by notimp,

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are doing it for profit and I fully understand their reasoning for it. They know there is a massive market for piracy and they are not afraid of cashing in.

They also know the open source alternatives are going to arrive soon so may as well cash in before that. Plus there is ALWAYS a market for convenience. Open Source means hands on, a lot of people don't know or care about getting that up and running. A mostly plug and play is perfect for that.

I'm personally not happy with the DRM thing but I'm waiting for more details to make my decision on to either buy it or wait for Atmosphere

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My main takeaway from all of this is the following:
As much as I admire the coding skills and reversing abilities of Reswitched, morals fall by the wayside when the general masses are faced with the prospect of free games.
I also admire TX as they too must have some pretty skilled technicians to come up with the payloads they demonstrate.
Once word of this hits critical mass outside these forums and into the mainstream, your mate next door will be getting TX as it’s an aio idiot proof solution.
So whatever you think in terms of ethics, until Atmosphere supports backup loading, everyone and their grandmother will be buying a 25-35 dollar solution for the time being.
I see no other way forward than to have Atmosphere support backup loading from day1 if they really are as keen as they sound to stop a 3rd party making money out of piracy.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$40 is a good price. Having a persistence OS with no dongle after installing is also very good. I'd pay more then $40 if I owned a Switch.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Also just out of interest, how many DRMed CFW updates do we get with the first purchase?

Do we pay for each further update? :)

You know its not always economical, to sell users something - once, then supply them with CFW updates for two years for free. :)

Again, the entry point cant be patched, right - so they would not have to sell us different hardware - ever again. :)

Can we buy a season pass for TX' "only real with DRM" CFW that lasts at least for 6 months? ;)

Ah, DRM - I loves it. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to buy the device, 40 dollars is nothing compared to the price of switch games, is like 0.66 times a game to get all games now, not waiting months for atmosphere and months again for a backup loader because devs hate piracy, I do not know why people are like, 40 dollars!!!!??? thats too much, no fucking way, so buy your games and be happy, and wait like a year for playing backups if it comes at some point, like when gateway occurred

Last edited by kamesenin888,

Chizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
$40 dollars is cheap and is the only CFW available (to be selled) at this point, so we didn´t have a reference to quality. Waithing for a review.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Makes me wonder what DRM this will have, since the main product will be the CFW and not the dongle.

Would be funny to see people pirating the CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there