Hacking New TX SX Information: New FAQs and Homebrew Support Confirmed for Launch

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
IT IS NOT OUT YET for the love of god how could they preorder?!
It's a placeholder for crying out loud.

Actually when the thread was first opened there was an "add to cart" option at the site.. Now it says out of stock. Chill man, we can read.. Obviously we know it isn't out yet.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fully expect nintendo to update their firmware to stall txsx code like the ps3 on 3.55, it took two years to progress past that firmware version if i remember correctly.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I fully expect nintendo to update their firmware to stall txsx code like the ps3 on 3.55, it took two years to progress past that firmware version if i remember correctly.
Ultimately, there’s only so much Nintendo can do when we have a boot time exploit. They could change the software to mess with the patches, but TX would just need to update their own software.

Atmosphere would be the same, except they’re going the EmuNAND route.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ultimately, there’s only so much Nintendo can do when we have a boot time exploit. They could change the software to mess with the patches, but TX would just need to update their own software.

On the TX video there were three boot options. One was options/settings. One was CFW. and the other one...? (I couldnt read it - but if we could.. ;) )

If they don't go the emunand route (as in "stock system not modified"), you are now going with a commercial, DRMed custom firmware, thats "illegally distributed" by a "company"... Ehm.

Sounds like a first. And -

Sounds like a major headache. ("My switch is now on 6.0.2, and the company is gone and, their code was not open - in fact it has DRM, and - I cant downgrade...")

Last edited by notimp,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
On the TX video there were three boot options. One was options/settings. One was CFW. and the other one...? (I couldnt read it - but if we could.. ;) )

If they don't go the emunand route, you are now going with a commercial, DRMed custom firmware, thas "illegally distributed" by a "company"... Ehm.

Sounds like a first. And -

Sounds like a major headache. (My switch is now on 6.0.2, and the company is gone and, their code was not open and - I cant downgrade - ....)
You’re exactly right regarding the code. If the code is open source is doesn’t matter if ‘official’ support gets dropped because anybody can pick it up and contribute, even fork it if they want.

With a closed solution like TX, people at the whim of TX continuing to update it. They may very well do this, but to be restricted as such is not good for the scene.

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, there were some (many?) warnings coming from fail0verflow, regarding e.g. how they fried their display once due to experiments on their Linux build. It's on the most recent blog post on their website, I think.

EDIT: They only mention it in a very indirect way, I guess you would have to dig their Twitter to find more anecdotes about it.
I think Kate Temkin also mentions it a few times.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't know, I actually haven't touched my nsw in months

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
With a closed solution like TX, people at the whim of TX continuing to update it. They may very well do this, but to be restricted as such is not good for the scene.
Even scene politics aside...
Dear consumer, please hand over the responsibility to always update your Switch from Nintendo to a company that can get sued out of existence in three, two, ...

But that has DRM locked the firmware thats running on your system?

Thats a hard sell... :)

I mean - the fallback could always be "nand dump" - if they disable fuse burns.

But still, thats a really tough sell... :)

Lets just make the following pledge on release day. Whoever buys their product, gets no scene support in case something goes wrong, and the company "vanishes" (financial assets included) in about a year or so. ;)

edit: Those are hypotheticals for the "they modify your system, and maybe dont even use emunand" case. :) TLDR; still is - keep an eye on the update path, and who is responsible to update what - according to TX.

Last edited by notimp,

Adhrast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

There isn't anything Nintendo can do, AFAIK it's a hardware entry point, not a software weakness. This means that the hack will ALWAYS work, on any Switch and every firmware version unless Nintendo releases new consoles with a new/revised chip.

Pierrinator

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The "permanent" thing is really scary imo. Probably easily detectable too if it's something installed directly on the eMMC, but i can't imagine Xecuter not caring about this.
Still, it's really probable, as they didnt even advertise once their thing was safe for online, when they clearly did it by the past (just check their x360 products for example, they clearly state "completely undetectable" here).

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First Option: Boot custom FW
Second Option: Boot original FW
Third Option: Options

It is currently impossible to install a permanent CFW to your switch. But it will be possible to store some CFW files on NAND to make booting and other stuff faster/easier.

Lallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So we are finally going to be able to play backups?
How is this different than the "atmosphere" CFW that is coming?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk