New translator coming into the community

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Fafnir, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Fafnir
    OP

Fafnir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Damned US...
    I'm not sure if this is the proper section to post this, if it isn't, I'd like to ask a mod to move it to the right sub-forum. Anyway, First off, I want to thank Noitora for the translation suggestions to start off with. (I would have never known what to start off with anyway, so thanks!)

I'd like to start a translation team, since I don't have the time with college and all, but any and all help would be appreciated. I won't be checking the forum as much as I'd like to, but I do have other ways of contact. I am currently using 3 messengers, AIM, MSN and Xfire. Those who are interested in forming a team, I'd like them to IM me and let me know why and who they are before I respond.

Here are my contact details:

AIM: WatcheroftheWind
    MSN: Lost_Seraph17@hotmail.com
    XFire: noitenshi

Thanks all!

Edit: That's probably not the best title to use, considering it sounds like an introductory title more then anything. My bad.

Second Edit: I just realized... Beginner tools! What should I download and use?

Third Edit: On second thought, the team can wait. I just need to start and learn the ropes before anything.

2. Sylphid D. Glein

Sylphid D. Glein Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG]

Another " Hackrom ESPADA" like noitora xD

............Good luck

3. DarthNemesis

DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Which languages do you know and what skills do you have to offer?

For hacking tools, you'll need a hex editor and a repacker (ndstool/dslazy/dsbuff).
    For translating, you should have the Japanese language pack and a Japanese word processor.

4. Fafnir
    OP

Fafnir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Damned US...
    I know very little Japanese and German. And all I can say is I want to learn different things, new and old, so, since I've never actually tried to do a translation, I'd like to learn, and see if I can't contribute anything to the community myself.

For a hex editor, is there something that's free and good to use? (I'll pick up DSlazy, since it's what everyone seems to mention most.)

I can google the language pack, and where could I pick up the processor at?

Edit: @Sylphid, come again? And thanks.

5. DarthNemesis

DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
  6. HernanZh

HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Hello. Your first post is a little vague. What are you aiming at? Do you want to become a romhacker, or are you trying to find a romhacker to work together (and you translate text from JP->EN)? If it's the former, it's best if you know a programming lagnguage.
    Anyway, for a hex editor, my favorite is XVI32, though I hear a lot of people like Windhex.

7. Fafnir
    OP

Fafnir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Damned US...
    Well, I'll be blunt. I'll probably be shooting for romhacker. As for editors, I'll check all three and and see which one works best for me.

Edit: I really do appreciate the help.

8. HernanZh

HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Well since there's only two hexeditors mentioned in this thread, I hope you don't mean Dslazy, because that's not a hex editor. [​IMG] It's just for unpacking ds roms.

9. Fafnir
    OP

Fafnir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Damned US...
    Oh! Thanks for catching me on that. This is what around 3 1/2 hours of sleep and class will do to you if you're not careful. I do mean the two.