New trailer and release date revealed for 'Shenmue III' during Gamescom

shenmue iii.JPG

The highly anticipated and forever delayed Shenmue III just got a new trailer at Gamescom to remind us what's in store once it eventually releases:

Shenmue III sees the continuation of the epic story-driven saga. The player controls teenage martial artist Ryo Hazuki as he investigates his father's murder. Players must explore the game's open world, searching for clues, examining objects and talking to non-player characters for information, taking them further into enemy territory, deeper into mystery, and even closer to their destiny.

Oh and Shenmue III is now slated for an August 27th, 2019 release for PC and PS4.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmmm wanted a bit more gameplay footage after all this while. Still looks like a showcase trailer and seems to me they aren't that far in development yet after all this while. Really hope it doesn't get canceled in the end with all the new consoles being on the horizon and so forth

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think the characters looks better now, less stoned expressionless faces.
it's not up to the current gen standard, but it at least feel like the previous two games, so I think they managed to make it look like a proper sequel.
textures and scenery are also better now. Delaying was worth it.

now, like said, let's wait for gameplay footage.

Reactions: Justinde75

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's sequel to a 90's game (and it's based on another time frame?), it's not suppose to look like a like current gen nor stop stereotype of Chinese have pigtail, they keep doing what was in the first game, both look and story. specially if it's supposed to be a direct sequel and not located 30 years later.
nobody cared about Chinese male having a pigtail cliché or stereotype in a 90's game, they won't change the haircut and character's look to be politically correct in current time. everybody seems insulted and call for racism for a simple cliché (not saying you do, just people in general). Italian eat pasta, French have bread under the arm and stinky cheese you know, that's just funny, and not an insult. It should be taken as a story, not represent reality. Like super villain are ugly, and American super hero are handsome, main character in any action story is always nice looking and fit, not a fat ugly guy who can't run. it's just depicted that way for the story's impact and fast understanding to know who is who.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: xalphax

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
The characters look bland, but it's probably so as to stay faithful to the previous games.
The backgrounds and scenario, on the other hand, look fantastic

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm wanted a bit more gameplay footage after all this while. Still looks like a showcase trailer and seems to me they aren't that far in development yet after all this while. Really hope it doesn't get canceled in the end with all the new consoles being on the horizon and so forth
I also wanted to see more.

Anyway, I doubt this will be canceled. They would either, move it to the PS5, keep it on the PS4 or do both by finishing the PS4 version and then porting it to PS5.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I also wanted to see more.

Anyway, I doubt this will be canceled. They would either, move it to the PS5, keep it on the PS4 or do both by finishing the PS4 version and then porting it to PS5.
I've seen many big projects canceled over time that had a kickstarter or whatever. Remember that it took ages for us to even get Shenmue 3 and that nobody wanted to invest in it. That can easily happen again if public loses interest because the hardcore Shenmue fans aren't that big. i'm one included but seeing it only has a small fanbase and development is running behind it could get canceled if Sony pulls out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands