Hacking New to Xbox - DVD flashing? ODDE?

drew1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys - first off thanks for the help.

I am not a gamer, haven't owned a gaming console since nintendo 64 if that tells you anything... just never been for me. With that being said, I run a bar and looking to setup a gaming console for the customers. Drunk people and CD Disk = scratched disks, stolen disks, etc....

Since we would be buying an Xbox anyway I guess I am in a better spot then some people, was going to hit a pawn shop and pickup a box. Ideally having the games saved on an external drive or allowing disks to be copied an customers only handling burnt discs.

I know my way around a computer, linux, soldering, I run a custom asterisk box so a lot of this seems pretty straight forward, my issue is i don't know the consoles or what I am looking for. What flash would you recommend and what console should I try to buy at the pawn shops? I don't want to spend much time on this, simple and easy would be best... don't care about XBL or if the unit is banned from the service. The drunks will destroy anything nice anyway haha!

Thanks again for the help.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd say pick up a glossy Slim or a late Phat (2009 onwards) and RGH it.
You can install GOD converted games and XBLA and even original Xbox games onto the internal harddrive (which you can upgrade to a max of 2TB)
No more need for difficult switching either.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems me and the OP are in a similar boat so I thought I'd just ask here.

I've ordered a Slim 250GB and it should be here in a few days. Here's the thing - I cannot solder, and there are no installers here in Japan. This is fine, but what can I actually do with a 360 without soldering? Am I right in saying that I can JTAG and use an ODE? Anything else?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
JTAG is out of the option, RGH is possible.
ODDE depends on the console, it might need a RGH to obtain the DVD key and some extra files.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to find an installer.
OR, you could swap the Slim with a Phatty/glossy Slim.
Those, especially the glossy Slim can get their DVD key pulled from the DVD PCB with ease.
Allowing for a easy installation of an ODDE.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly, my knowledge of the 360 is very limited. I'm not sure what type of slim I have order. Here is what I should be getting.

https://netmall.hardoff.co.jp/cate/30000012/20000053/10000230/1120/413684/

The images should be of my actual console because it is preowned.

360s are hard to find here in Japan and installers non-existant. Games are also stupidly cheap too so modification isn't a priority enough for me to find an installer.

I really just want to do this for the fun of of it. It sounds like ODDE should be doable. RGH requires soldering, right?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a matte one, Corona version.
I don't care to say what DVD drive is in it tho.
Eitherway, you'll have to open it, determining the DVD drive and doing DVD key retrieval.

If you knew what DVD drive you got then it would be a lot better to help you ;p
Yup, RGH requires soldering.
If you got the correct DVD drive, you'll only have to hook it up to a SATA port (compatible SATA chipsets in computers) or X360USB Pro and use the Xbox as a power supply.
The software needed is Jungleflasher.
It comes with a detailed manual which will guide you through the entire retrieval process.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks for the information. I assume that list of compatible SATA controllers is not exhaustive? Trying to find out if mine would be compatible. My motherboard chipset itself is an Intel H97, though not sure what the SATA controller itself is. I guess this is all academic until I find out what drive I have, just want to be prepared.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll just give it a go, I guess. Would rather not have to get a X360USB Pro if I can avoid it because I'll presumably only be using it once, though it might be unavoidable.

Moving on to ODDE devices.

X360 Key - http://www.ndswayz.com/product-97.html?zenid=7bo9vg4git64ceuasnn2cv5674

X360DOCK - http://ndshop.jp/xbox360-usb-loaders/288-x360dockhdd.html

Any notable difference between the X360 Key and X360 Dock? The latter seems to be quite a lot cheaper. I WOULD pay more for original Xbox game compatiblity, if that is relevent.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xkey is was the most supported ODDE.
The Wasabi 360, X360Dock and other ODDEs just got shown the light of day and never been heard of again (including the XODE from TX, which replaced the DVD drive with a 3.5 inch HDD)

I'd personally go for the Xkey or X360 key.
It's the most widely adopted ODDE.

Playback of Xbox original games is possible.
I've never really dived into it (owning original Xbox + RGH) but I know it's possible.
Tho don't expect 100% compatibility and what not.
It's emulation and only a few games work flawlessly.
Most of the work with some bugs and glitches.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I somewhat know what to expect from Xbox compatibilty - I did actually own a 360 from launch until around 2008 when my console died from RROD and never replaced it. That experience is what led me to buy as new as possible Slim this time.

Looks like the X360 Key is the way to go then, seems to be easier to find than the Xkey. There is also the XK3Y Gecko on that site for much cheaper, but I know nothing about it. I'd rather pay more for the better supported device, otherwise it's a false economy. I assume I'm still going to have to get the drive key using the above method, too.

Thanks again for the help. I like to think I'm quite informed with this stuff, but to be honest the 360 scene is daunting.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fair enough.

Xkey/X360 key is literally the same thing ;p
You don't need the Gecko for it.
Only thing you need to obtain is your DVD key (and perhaps some extra files via RGHing, depending on your drive)
The DVD key dump named "firmware.bin" needs to go on the SD card of the Xkey.
After that, it's a matter of plug and play.

360 scene is shitty at best.
And even that's an understatement.
Emulators are mediocre and homebrew is plainly pathetic.
I really hoped that with the RGH, the homebrew scene would boom a bit but sadly, it didn't made much of a difference.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
According to the database, a RGH is required (obviously, after the DVD key has been obtained it'll be uninstalled)
Then again, I don't dare say it for sure.
Could be that the console was swapped by the previous owner or that the box isn't from that console.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's a shame - so I won't be able to do anything without soldering anyway?

We'll see what actually arrives, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...