Hacking New to Wii U hacking - least intrusive way to transfer save files?

QuarterOfTen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I'm kinda new to everything here, so I hope I'm in the right place. A little background to my problem:

My brother and I have shared a Wii U console for years. We both have save files that we're really attached to, both on the Wii U (Sm4sh, Splatoon, Wind Waker) and the Wii Mode (City Folk, MKWii, Brawl). I recently went out and purchased a Wii U of my own so I could have my own setup. However, Nintendo seems to have made it impossible to have my Wii U files on my system and my brother's on his. What's more, even though WFC ended years ago, WFC games still have the copy limitation in Wii mode.

So far, I have the plan of a) transferring everything to my system, b) calling Nintendo and having them transfer my brother's account back to his Wii U, and c) using an SD card to move the copyable Wii save files to his system. However, this still means that my brother's Wii U save files and uncopyable Wii files will be encrypted on my system with no way for him to access them. This is where hacking would come in. However, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything related to console hacking.

I know that there is a way to install the Homebrew app on the Wii U and Wii menus and access save transfer tools from there, but this would mean that I'd have to install them on both systems, and we really aren't gonna be using it much after the fact. I also am not entirely familiar with what kind of online checking Nintendo does for these things (if any at all), or if there are any easier/quicker methods available. My question is; what is the quickest, safest, and least intrusive/easiest/noob-friendliest way to transfer Wii U and uncopyable Wii save files from one system to another? Do I have to install the Homebrew app and the whole shebang, or is there a simple SD-card only trick I could use?

Thanks in advance!

QuarterOfTen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I've done some more research (like I said, I'm a newbie - sorry about my first post/title being way off the mark), and found a bunch of different ways to get the Homebrew launcher to activate without having be a permanent addition to the Wii U or vWii, which is what I want. However, I'm a little confused as to which methods still work with the most recent firmware, which ones I should avoid so I don't get bricked, and what sites I should use. Can anyone provide any input as to what I should use/any pitfalls I should look out for?

For example, do browser exploits still work? Do I need to buy Brain Age, or is that just for HaxChi? What's the best program to transfer save files in both Wii U and vWii?

Last edited by QuarterOfTen,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaveMii is what you need for Wii U. I assume browser hack still works (someone else can probably answer) I use Haxchi but since you're not interested in permanent hacks or playing backup games you probably don't need it I guess.

For Wii you should use save game manager, but you're going to have to hack your vWii on both consoles seperately to get it to work. You can copy some saves from vWii to sd card without doing any hacking but some are copy protected and will need homebrew. I'd take a look at your vWii saves first and see if they can be copied.

Last edited by ,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I've done some more research (like I said, I'm a newbie - sorry about my first post/title being way off the mark), and found a bunch of different ways to get the Homebrew launcher to activate without having be a permanent addition to the Wii U or vWii, which is what I want. However, I'm a little confused as to which methods still work with the most recent firmware, which ones I should avoid so I don't get bricked, and what sites I should use. Can anyone provide any input as to what I should use/any pitfalls I should look out for?

For example, do browser exploits still work? Do I need to buy Brain Age, or is that just for HaxChi? What's the best program to transfer save files in both Wii U and vWii?
The browser exploits are not reliable on latest firmware, so Haxchi is a crucial part in being able to access homebrew consistently. If you don't want to brick, just follow Kafluke's noob guide on here and install Haxchi, not Coldboot.

QuarterOfTen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually saw SaveMii come up during a few searches I did; it seems to also have an option for vWii files as well. If that’s still the case, would that suffice to copy some games? I know for a fact some can’t be copied normally; I have the WFC trifecta (AC:CF, MKW, and Brawl).

@SANIC, do you mean unreliable because of crashes, or worse (like bricking)? I’d really rather not spend $15 on something I’m only going to use once (and something that Ninty should have added in the first place... but that’s a rant for another day).

I’ve seen some people say that you can use browser exploits to get Mocha running, then exploit again to get SaveMii active. If I don’t want to spend any money, is this my only option? Is there any risk to my system in doing this?

Last edited by QuarterOfTen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple