Hacking New to Wii U, A few Questions

Shadowsteal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm purchasing a Wii U tomorrow and probably picking up Lego Batman or Brawl from gamestop for the exploit. The tutorials and everything look great and easy to follow but I still have a few questions.

1. I heard that in ordee to navigate vwii mode or homebrew channel I need a wii mote without plus is this true? I wanted to use the wii u plus wiimote that has plus integrated into it.
2. Once everything is hacked and I have a loader, how must I set up my usb harddrive? As in do I just put all the isos at the root or something else?
3. From what ive been reading theres like 3 types of isos, scrubbed, wsnd(sp), and something else. Does this matter? Or is everything compatible with vwii?
4. And are there certain games that need patching or something to run as a backup? Or should I be fine? Mainly want to get Nintendo First Party games. But also stuff like Xenoblade and The Last Story

I hope most of my questions followed the rules of this site. If not please feel free to warn me and point out anything that may be out of line. Thank you

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1. Wrong, u can use any wiimote.
2. harddrive can be ntfs for example and u put ur isos or wbfs files in a wbfs named folder on the root of ur drive. Make sure that the 6 letter game id is in the name of the game files.
3. the compatibility is up to the loader i think, but wbfs format saves u disk space and they all read it, u can use WiiBackupManager or WIT to convert isos to wbfs.
4. This i'm not sure, but so far all that i tried work, usb loaders can already apply the 002 fix and other stuff in case is needed so i dunno if any game needs anything else.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm purchasing a Wii U tomorrow and probably picking up Lego Batman or Brawl from gamestop for the exploit. The tutorials and everything look great and easy to follow but I still have a few questions.

1. I heard that in ordee to navigate vwii mode or homebrew channel I need a wii mote without plus is this true? I wanted to use the wii u plus wiimote that has plus integrated into it.
2. Once everything is hacked and I have a loader, how must I set up my usb harddrive? As in do I just put all the isos at the root or something else?
3. From what ive been reading theres like 3 types of isos, scrubbed, wsnd(sp), and something else. Does this matter? Or is everything compatible with vwii?
4. And are there certain games that need patching or something to run as a backup? Or should I be fine? Mainly want to get Nintendo First Party games. But also stuff like Xenoblade and The Last Story

I hope most of my questions followed the rules of this site. If not please feel free to warn me and point out anything that may be out of line. Thank you
I think certain homebrew has issues with the newest model Wiimote (not the Plus remote in general but the newest revision of it) but any homebrew that has been updated to the latest version of the devkit should work fine, this should include any recently updated homebrew.

All types of backups will work on vWii but the best currently is to use .wbfs files on a FAT32 drive, Wii Backup Manager is a good tool for converting and transferring games to your drive. This answers question 2 too.

No games will need patching, you just need an up to date cIOS. But some games may need you to use cIOS250 (based on IOS57) instead of 249 (based on IOS56)

Shadowsteal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both of you guys had great answers!

But I just need conformation if the newest wiimote (the one with the Wii U branding http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintend...lack/1503576.p?id=1218266963123&skuId=1503576) Can work on the homebrew channel and usb loader gx. I'm really not going to use anything else homebrew wise besides these two. Need to play some wii titles to pass the time until my Wii U library grows.

Make sure that the 6 letter game id is in the name of the game files. This is new to me, where would i find these codes? or does wiibackupmanager show me automatically?

So do make sure lets say i have a NTFSDRIVE>wbfs>*games* and in the wbfs folder I keep all my isos and wbfs?

This last question is technically optional. "But some games may need you to use cIOS250 (based on IOS57) instead of 249 (based on IOS56)" I remember from the tut that I need to put 56>249,57>250, and 58>251. But are you saying I have to "switch" in order for some games to work? or... and I would use d2x right?

Thanks for all the help and I know it must be a pain to repeat the same stuff to noobs but we all gotta start somewhere. I'm familiar with psp hacking and ipod/iphone hacking. but the methods for those devices is just a click a button at this point. So when i saw the hack method for this, i was set aback lol

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
:P I'm 99% sure any wiimote will work.

ye, wiibackupmanager should add the game id automatically most of the times i think, i use wit so i'm not sure. But for the games that don't have the id in the name, just go to the http://www.gametdb.com/ and u can find them all. Usually the game id is inside [] in the name of the file.

yes, that path, you can also put each game file/s inside a separate folder, inside the wbfs folder.

I think what The Real Jdbye meant is you can choose which cIOS to use in the usb loader for booting each game.

Shadowsteal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, you guys are perfect. I just wish I could get someones validition whos currently using their wii motion plus with their homebrew etc. Because during my research, I read way too many times that the newest model didnt work. But maybe it was updated and im just being paranoid, idk :X

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Homebrew Channel definitely supports the new Motion+ controller: http://hackmii.com/2012/02/the-homebrew-channel-v1-1-0/ (first bullet)

I imagine a popular USB loader like GX supports it as well. You can try asking in the GX thread.

As for cIOS selection, some loaders can automatically select the correct cIOS for each game. I know WiiFlow and Configurable USB loader can do so, but I'm unsure about GX. Guess you can ask that as well.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also regarding different file types for your games:
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you use the Wii Backup Manager.
First time you use it, it will ask you if you want to format your HDD or just create the folder.

I'd strongly recommend you to let Wiibackupmanger ( and not built in windows formatter ) to format it to FAT32, which offer the best compatibility for homebrew ( yes , USB Loaders are also homebrew ) and games, plus whatever else you like to stick on it.
Then Wiibackupmangerwill create the wbfs folder and all subfolders for you.
Also , regardless of the file type of your games, never add them manually ! Let Wiibackupmanger perform the transfer for you, this way it doesn't really matter is the game was an iso, zip, wbfs or something else, Wiibackupmanger will automatically convert it and also trim it when possible.
After that you might as well delete the original source, because you'll have a perfect copy on your HDD ;)

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Formating it to NTFS will be easier as you won't have to split games bigger than 4GB, can use ISOs without size concerns, and the hdd can be used for other big things besides .wbfs files ^^

Shadowsteal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for all the help guys, this feels easier and easier. I'm gonna pick up the wii u after school. Not to look a gift horse in mouth but no one still has answers about the new wii motion plus controller? :(

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for all the help guys, this feels easier and easier. I'm gonna pick up the wii u after school. Not to look a gift horse in mouth but no one still has answers about the new wii motion plus controller? :(

Homebrew Channel supports it. USB Loader GX supports it. Wiiflow supports it. All of Tantric's homebrew and emulators supports it (WiiMC, SNES9x GX, FCE Ultra GX, VBA GX.)

It's not an issue with the new wii U remotes but rather an issue with when they started combining wii motion plus into the wiimotes before the WiiU came out. I know I'm butchering the technical side of this, but before then the wiimotes firmware supported 2 forms of communication. All homebrew used 1 form and official nintendo software used another. When the new remotes came out the 2nd form of communication was removed from the firmware. If the homebrew has been updated since the bug was found and fixed then you're good to go. You may still run into homebrew applications that don't work. That said, if all you're looking to do is run "backup" wii software in vWii mode then you have nothing to worry about.

EDIT:
Recently, Nintendo did break The Homebrew Channel. No, it wasn’t a system update. It wasn’t a new Wii model (though they did release a new Wii, it turns out it works just fine). What they came up with was a new Wiimote, which, completely by accident, happens to be incompatible with the previous version of The Homebrew Channel.

You see, way way back in 2006 when the Wii came out, someone figured out that you could send commands to the Wiimote in a certain way. Libraries were developed, and eventually we had support on the Wii itself with the advent of Wii homebrew. And yet, nobody though to question the way we were sending the commands. Nobody bothered to check whether the Wii itself was doing the same thing.

As it turns out, it wasn’t. It was using a different method of sending data to the Wiimote. The Wiimote itself supported both – until the new RVL-CNT-01-TR model came out, that is. They probably had to trim the firmware to make space for the Motion Plus stuff.
From http://hackmii.com/2012/02/the-homebrew-channel-v1-1-0/

The homebrew channel addressed it in February of 2012 and it was up to individual homebrew developers to update their software. Most of the important stuff has been updated.

Shadowsteal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys thank so much, wow the amount of information I learned is incredible! And yes I'm just interested in running backups until i start building my wii u library. But seriously you guys are amazing, citing sources and everything. I guess I'll pick up the new wiimote on the way home. Love you guys <3 I'm the happiest noob alive lol. I'll post updates once I finish the mod etc.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Formating it to NTFS will be easier as you won't have to split games bigger than 4GB.
Again with this stupid concept ? Where did you come from ? 2006 ?
Tell me exactly how you split games ? What steps do you take and what's the inconvenient ?

You don't split games, Wii backup manager does ( the very few that are over 4GB after trimmed ) , and the process is absolutely transparent to the user.
Everybody knows that FAT32 is universally better because it offers the best compatibility for Wii Games AND homebrew.
Do some research before giving silly advices.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell me exactly how you split games ? What steps do you take and what's the inconvenient ?

You don't split games, Wii backup manager does ( the very few that are over 4GB after trimmed ) , and the process is absolutely transparent to the user.
Everybody knows that FAT32 is universally better because it offers the best compatibility for Wii Games AND homebrew.

I agree with you that the splitting process is simple, but you still do split games. Yes you're using Wiibackupmanager to do it for you, but you're still opening the program so it will convert an iso to wbfs and split if needed. With NTFS you can just throw isos on your hard drive and never need to use the manager.

I'd still recommend FAT32, but he didn't really say anything that was wrong.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

lol relax a bit, i am giving my personal opinion, and in my experience FAT32 never works for me (unless when i had a really small hdd for games) as i always end up using it for other stuff and throwing big files in it, not only .wbfs, so yes ur right IF you don't do any editing on split wbfs files in the drive, plan to always use wii backup manager or similar (and never using ISOs), and not plan to use the drive for other files such as hd movies and so. Anyway, usb loaders all access ntfs and i speak for myself but i dun use any other homebrew that access the hdd, i have them all on sd card.

But i am seriously curious, ppl who use usb hdd for lauching their homebrew apps, which ones have ntfs problems?, i use ntfs for years and don't recall having any problems with it on the wii...

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
lol relax a bit, i am giving my personal opinion, and in my experience FAT32 never works for me (unless when i had a really small hdd for games) as i always end up using it for other stuff and throwing big files in it, not only .wbfs, so yes ur right IF you don't do any editing on split wbfs files in the drive, plan to always use wii backup manager or similar (and never using ISOs), and not plan to use the drive for other files such as hd movies and so. Anyway, usb loaders all access ntfs and i speak for myself but i dun use any other homebrew that access the hdd, i have them all on sd card.

But i am seriously curious, ppl who use usb hdd for lauching their homebrew apps, which ones have ntfs problems?, i use ntfs for years and don't recall having any problems with it on the wii...

your obviously using a hard drive that is not compatable for homebrew loading/games. or you have set it up wrong ive got 3 partitions on mine (dont ask why) i have 2 fat32 partitions and a wbfs partition no problems with either but fat32 is better in many ways go check it out

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a NTFS harddrive and have had zero problems with any homebrew or games. I like putting backups larger than 4GB on there, so NTFS suits me best.

Reactions: Elusivo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr