New to Wii scene

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Flooded, Mar 10, 2008.

Mar 10, 2008

New to Wii scene by Flooded at 1:37 AM (984 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Flooded
    OP

Banned Flooded Banned

United States
    I am new to the Wii scene
    What modchip is currently the best?
    Which is the easiest to install? ( Looking mostly for this)

I have read about wlip and how it is a non solder soultion is this anygood and could someone point out all the tools needed to burn/unscramble a iso to get it to play on a Wii?

You help would be greatly appreciated.

2. quadomatic

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its important to know what chip (DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C) is on your Wii's disc drive first.

3. Flooded
    OP

Banned Flooded Banned

United States
    Ah ok I haven't gotten the Wii yet but when it comes in I will check.

How do you check what chip it has? And what determines which one it is?

4. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you're getting a new Wii, it will be a D2C.

5. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The Wiilp isn't out as far as I know. Even if it is, it won't be compatible with a new Wii due to the kind of chip in the drive of a new Wii (already pointed out). You'll want a pretty experienced modder to solder in a D2C key or other D2C compatible chip depending on what is actually out when you get your Wii.

As far as tools to copy and download, honestly the easiest way is to used Rawdump or Friidump (both available in the downloads section of GBAtemp) with a compatible LG DVD drive in your computer. The DVD drive will probably cost you as much as the necessary SD card adapter and everything else needed to dump a disk with a Wii and will take less time and offer less errors in the long run. Rawdump automatically unscrambles the disk, so basically it makes a burnable ISO image in about 2 and 1/2 hours. You can also just figure out where and how to download the ISOs that you would try to make yourself and save the hassle of dumping it yourself. With a high speed connection to a good usenet server you can download a game faster than you can dump it. I can't say any more on that topic, but if you dig around in the forums you'll probably find more information you can piece together to figure out what to do that way.

6. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Which means it won't be easy to install a modchip no matter which one you get.

And Hooya, the Wlip is out. I have it and it's ok. It took a LOT of effort to get it working properly, so I wouldn't say it was worth the purchase. I could have learned how to solder properly and installed a modchip myself in the time it took me to get the "solderless, 10-minute-install" Wlip to work.