Hacking New to this stuff... Couple of questions.

xparasite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really played around with any of this modding/ homebrew/ whatever stuff, and I have one or two very specific questions.

See, the main reason I'm looking at these flash cards right now is because of Dragon Quest IX. I found a save of the game online that I could use to gain access to a bunch of the really good Japanese maps. Problem is, in order to use the Tag mode to be able to get those maps, you need two DS devices and (I would think) two copies of the game itself. I have two DSs, but I don't want to buy another copy of DQIX just to get some good maps... So my thought process has become, get a flash card, put another copy of DQIX on said flash card, and apply the special save I found for it to that game, and then use the two to send maps over to my main game. I know, it seems kinda silly to buy a flash card JUST for this purpose (but honestly, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than buying another copy of DQIX, and at least I could use the flash card for other things later).

My next problem here, though, is that I don't want to get into the whole "downloading ROMs" thing. I know it's pretty much against the rules to discuss here, anyway. But what I'm curious about is, can I use the flash card to make a copy of my DQIX game (so that I'd have the physical copy as my main game, and the "backed up" copy on the flash card that I can apply the save to)? Basically, is there any way to "rip" or "back up" games off the DS cartridge (without risking damage to the data on the actual cartridge)?

Also, I have an Action Replay DS; I don't suppose I could use that in any way to help me accomplish what I'm trying to do here, huh?

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First at your buying a flashcart for that tag mode save whatever thingy.
For ds: Shoptemp, get the 'original' (clone) R4, no weird sdhc r4i r4 upgrade r4 III or whatever.
Just the R4
For dsi (in case that's your 2nd ds): Get the ak2i
They're both the cheapest.

For the second part, you haven't got a flashcart, right?
If you haven't as far as I know, it is impossible to rip roms from original games without soldering and opening your game and stuff...
If you do, I was quite sure there was a way to do that, but I forgot how o.O

But really, there is no problem with downloading ROMs if you've got the original game
smile.gif

And I like the fact that your first question isn't 'can I haz xbox 360 emulator on ds?'
Or asking for ROMs or whatever.
biggrin.gif

You're a good newcomer
smile.gif

bow.gif

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
First at your buying a flashcart for that tag mode save whatever thingy.
For ds: Shoptemp, get the 'original' (clone) R4, no weird sdhc r4i r4 upgrade r4 III or whatever.
Just the R4

For the second part, you haven't got a flashcart, right?
If you haven't as far as I know, it is impossible to rip roms from original games without soldering and opening your game and stuff...
If you do, I was quite sure there was a way to do that, but I forgot how o.O

But really, there is no problem with downloading ROMs if you've got the original game
smile.gif

And I like the fact that your first question isn't 'can I haz xbox 360 emulator on ds?'
Or asking for ROMs or whatever.
biggrin.gif

You're a good newcomer
smile.gif

bow.gif
He could just use the Wifi dumper for dumping games and saves.

haflore

aeternaliter fluxa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind, late again.

EDIT: Ok, mind again.
For a guide to dumping your own DS games go here.
WARNING: It may take a very long time.

xparasite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haflore said:
Never mind, late again.

EDIT: Ok, mind again.
For a guide to dumping your own DS games go here.
WARNING: It may take a very long time.

Wow, that does look like it'd take a long time. :/ Hunting down a DQIX ROM would probably be the easier, quicker option. Not asking for actual links, but out of curiosity, do all sites with ROMs typically use Torrents or eMule to download? I don't want to download/ use either of those programs, yet those are the only ones I've seen on any of the ROM sites I found.

QUOTE(tijntje_7 @ Jul 15 2010, 11:34 AM) First at your buying a flashcart for that tag mode save whatever thingy.
Just the R4

Those are the two I've been looking at, so far, yep. I saw the R4 is really cheap, but I guess it only holds up to 2GB on the microSDs? I have a couple of 4GB microSDHCs I could use, but I think that's it. I could've sworn I had a 2GB microSD that came with my cell phone, but I might be mistaken, as I can't find that anyway. I'll probably end up going with the ak2, as by the time I buy a 2GB card AND an R4, the price difference will be very little. Maybe I can still find that 2 gig card I swear I had... Hm...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xparasite said:
Wow, that does look like it'd take a long time. :/ Hunting down a DQIX ROM would probably be the easier, quicker option. Not asking for actual links, but out of curiosity, do all sites with ROMs typically use Torrents or eMule to download? I don't want to download/ use either of those programs, yet those are the only ones I've seen on any of the ROM sites I found.
Your typical DS rom site provides direct downloads to DS roms, or on file-hosting sites like megaupload and rapidshare.
They're usually in .rar or .7z format, compression methods.
Still, if you can dump the roms yourself, all the better. It's what I do, although I have an old Supercard DS Lite which makes rom dumping very easy.

QUOTE(xparasite @ Jul 15 2010, 08:44 PM) Those are the two I've been looking at, so far, yep. I saw the R4 is really cheap, but I guess it only holds up to 2GB on the microSDs? I have a couple of 4GB microSDHCs I could use, but I think that's it. I could've sworn I had a 2GB microSD that came with my cell phone, but I might be mistaken, as I can't find that anyway. I'll probably end up going with the ak2, as by the time I buy a 2GB card AND an R4, the price difference will be very little. Maybe I can still find that 2 gig card I swear I had... Hm...

That's right, the original R4 only supports 2gb.
You're best off buying the Acekard 2i anyway, it does more, although they're both great.
Going by Shoptemp, if you bought an R4 with 2gb memory, you'd pay $13.
If you bought an Acekard 2i, and used one of your 4gb cards, you'd pay $15.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs