New to this stuff... Couple of questions.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by xparasite, Jul 15, 2010.

Jul 15, 2010
  1. xparasite
    OP

Newcomer xparasite Newbie

United States
    I've never really played around with any of this modding/ homebrew/ whatever stuff, and I have one or two very specific questions.

See, the main reason I'm looking at these flash cards right now is because of Dragon Quest IX. I found a save of the game online that I could use to gain access to a bunch of the really good Japanese maps. Problem is, in order to use the Tag mode to be able to get those maps, you need two DS devices and (I would think) two copies of the game itself. I have two DSs, but I don't want to buy another copy of DQIX just to get some good maps... So my thought process has become, get a flash card, put another copy of DQIX on said flash card, and apply the special save I found for it to that game, and then use the two to send maps over to my main game. I know, it seems kinda silly to buy a flash card JUST for this purpose (but honestly, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than buying another copy of DQIX, and at least I could use the flash card for other things later).

My next problem here, though, is that I don't want to get into the whole "downloading ROMs" thing. I know it's pretty much against the rules to discuss here, anyway. But what I'm curious about is, can I use the flash card to make a copy of my DQIX game (so that I'd have the physical copy as my main game, and the "backed up" copy on the flash card that I can apply the save to)? Basically, is there any way to "rip" or "back up" games off the DS cartridge (without risking damage to the data on the actual cartridge)?

Also, I have an Action Replay DS; I don't suppose I could use that in any way to help me accomplish what I'm trying to do here, huh?

2. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    First at your buying a flashcart for that tag mode save whatever thingy.
    For ds: Shoptemp, get the 'original' (clone) R4, no weird sdhc r4i r4 upgrade r4 III or whatever.
    Just the R4
    For dsi (in case that's your 2nd ds): Get the ak2i
    They're both the cheapest.

For the second part, you haven't got a flashcart, right?
    If you haven't as far as I know, it is impossible to rip roms from original games without soldering and opening your game and stuff...
    If you do, I was quite sure there was a way to do that, but I forgot how o.O

But really, there is no problem with downloading ROMs if you've got the original game [​IMG]

And I like the fact that your first question isn't 'can I haz xbox 360 emulator on ds?'
    Or asking for ROMs or whatever. [​IMG]
    You're a good newcomer [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    He could just use the Wifi dumper for dumping games and saves.

4. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Never mind, late again.

EDIT: Ok, mind again.
    For a guide to dumping your own DS games go here.
    WARNING: It may take a very long time.

5. xparasite
    OP

Newcomer xparasite Newbie

United States
    Those are the two I've been looking at, so far, yep. I saw the R4 is really cheap, but I guess it only holds up to 2GB on the microSDs? I have a couple of 4GB microSDHCs I could use, but I think that's it. I could've sworn I had a 2GB microSD that came with my cell phone, but I might be mistaken, as I can't find that anyway. I'll probably end up going with the ak2, as by the time I buy a 2GB card AND an R4, the price difference will be very little. Maybe I can still find that 2 gig card I swear I had... Hm...

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    That's right, the original R4 only supports 2gb.
    You're best off buying the Acekard 2i anyway, it does more, although they're both great.
    Going by Shoptemp, if you bought an R4 with 2gb memory, you'd pay $13.
    If you bought an Acekard 2i, and used one of your 4gb cards, you'd pay $15.