Hacking New to the DS scene

hovdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my DSi from Amazon today in the mail...was hoping to have some sort of video playback out of the box...no luck apparently...

I'm pretty capable with electronics and such....

How do I go about getting this to play video files? avi, mp4, etc.

Thanks in advance

J

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
hovdog said:
I just got my DSi from Amazon today in the mail...was hoping to have some sort of video playback out of the box...no luck apparently...

I'm pretty capable with electronics and such....

How do I go about getting this to play video files? avi, mp4, etc.

Thanks in advance

J
No way to do that
frown.gif

Only way that you'll be able to play video, is to get a flashcart (refer to this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70252 for the flash cart!), and then you'll have to convert your videos to .dpg format, only then, you can watch video!

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hovdog said:

You need a flashcart and software like Moonshell2 for videos.

I don't understand why you hoped for video playback out of the box. Nintendo never advertised the DSi as being capable of playing videos out of the box.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
hovdog said:
any tutorials around on how to use the flashcart w/ this moonshell to do this?
There is no tutorial for that, it's like asking for tutorial on how to play DVD with a DVD player......you just, run it..

However, there is a tutorial on how to encode your movies to .dpg format....here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35547

EDIT: hmmmmm, it looks that first posts have been removed when problems were solved with GBAtemps server move, it'll be back sometime in the future, for now, check the rest of the thread to see if you could use some of the info there!

hovdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone point me in a direction to buy this flashcart for my new DSi? I don't want to be stuck with one that's crappy....doesn't work with the DSi....or won't allow me to play videos....

Is it just a matter of downloading this Moonshell and putting it on the MicroSD and just running the flashcart?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hovdog said:
can anyone point me in a direction to buy this flashcart for my new DSi? I don't want to be stuck with one that's crappy....doesn't work with the DSi....or won't allow me to play videos....

Is it just a matter of downloading this Moonshell and putting it on the MicroSD and just running the flashcart?

I would really recommend the AceKard2i
It's build quality is amazing, I never had any problems with it.
The Real Time Save works brilliantly, the menu's are quick and responsive, the support is very good.
It can play multimedia files with Moonshell perfectly.
It's well worth the extra money if you ask me.

You can buy it from here for example:

http://www.nxpgame.com/acekard-2i.html

That's a great webshop, with great support and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

GhostToast

Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
don't get the cyclo evolution DS if you have a DSi. it's for the older DS's only.

you might want to consider the acekard 2i or the itouch2i. those are both reasonably priced. check out any of the affiliate retailers listed on the right-hand side of gbatemp.net main page to help support these forums and this community.

KicksDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you need:

A Flash Card - I recommend AceKard 2i
Micro SD Card - I recommend a 2 - 4gb Sandisk Memory card
Micro SD card reader
DVD with whatever you want on your ds or however you wish to get your film ect..
DPG Converter

Then you download Moonshell and look-up a tutorial on the forum somewhere, I would link you to one, but the server is agging really bad for me, andm y comp is being laggy aswell :[

hovdog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok just picked up AceKard2i
and a MicroSD reader....I have a USB reader with a fullsize SD card to read Micro but I cant find it...

videos I have

that converter easy enough to get

What kind of card do I need?

2gb? bigger?

How big can I get? 16gb worth it? SDHC ok?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
acekard 2i supports up to 32GB SDHC

Moonshell comes with a converter for DPG, and is probably the best program to use for it.

Toni Plutonij

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
hovdog said:
these programs are all just put on the microSD and run from the Flashcart somehow?
1. You buy flashcart (anyone you choose to, for help, post in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70252 ).
2. Then you buy microSD, because flashcarts don't have memory, but use microSD's....The bigger microSD the better (I would suggest you not to take less then 4GB, because if you're planning to watch movies and use multimedia together with games, you'll need all the extra space you can get)
3. You get the proper firmware (for the cart you bought) from net, and copy it to microSD
4. You get applications you need (like Moonshell for playing multimedia, videos, pictures, MP3's and eBooks) and games you want from net and copy that to microSD as well
5. You put microSD in your flashcart and flashcart into your handheld
6. You're set to go!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs